Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions?
Jan 22, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #151 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bencrest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I paid for my Little Dot MKV earlier and can't wait for it to get here!

Still not been paid since Christmas (using some Paypal funds from the sale of a Pioneer DVD player and an iPod to fund this purchase), and think I'll end up spending some of my wages on upgrading my source.

I've currently got a Sony CDP-XB930QS, which seems perfectly good to me, with a Pro-Ject Headbox (switchable, 3 input, 2 headphone output amp) which I'll soon sell, and some stock AKG K701s which I've owned since new.

I'm considering getting another set of cans, probably Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990, 250ohm+, and maybe a new source. Not sure of brand, Cambridge Audio seems pretty popular here in the UK, and seems to offer excellent value for money.

Can't wait to get paid (four days to go), but definately can't wait for the MkV. Might take around 10 days including testing!!

Excellent move! The more I listen to my MKV, the more I like it. I've been a fan of SS for, well, most of my life, so tubes were new to me a few years ago. Now, I love them both! Ever think about Senn HD-650s? With the latest price drops, they are within reach of many now. Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #152 of 168
I can't remember if it was this thread that it was mentioned, but apparently DavidK likes the match of AKG 701's with the MKV. I fear that once mine arrive, I'm going to want to seriously upgrade my source, which will mean my budget goes x2 what it was.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #153 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember if it was this thread that it was mentioned, but apparently DavidK likes the match of AKG 701's with the MKV. I fear that once mine arrive, I'm going to want to seriously upgrade my source, which will mean my budget goes x2 what it was.

Ow, did you mean DavidZ at Little-Dot? If so, yes, I think I read something like that a while ago. It really doesn't surprise me that the 701s would sound great with the MKV. That is one of the advantages to a great SS amp design. Most decent headphones are going to sound great with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #154 of 168
Quote:

Hey Currawong, ever since I've been a member of this forum I have come to one...solid...consistent...conclusion............. .......

BUDGETS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(As they pertain to this hobby)

Go for it!!!!!!!!! You can't take money to your grave.

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #155 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for it!!!!!!!!! You can't take money to your grave.

The wife disagrees.

I have to say though, my MKV's sound is growing, even with my currently fairly crappy Quart 55x's. I'm at the stage of finding getting annoyed at tiny imperfections in CD rips that weren't apparent before and dubbed in samples in mixes that had noise are now quite irritating. My Corda Move arrived today (bought from another forum) which I'm using as a DAC from my MacBook Pro (experimentally) and HOLY BASE BATMAN!

Directly from my computer, I can understand why some people might not feel that the MKV might need a strong source, but I'd bet that most people who feel that way have already damaged their hearing a fair bit or enjoy doing so. I don't listen to music seriously loud - the loudest being my MacBook Pro driving the hard-to-drive Quarts, and find that the MKV is perfectly capable.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #156 of 168
Quote:

The wife disagrees.

I have to say though, my MKV's sound is growing, even with my currently fairly crappy Quart 55x's. I'm at the stage of finding getting annoyed at tiny imperfections in CD rips that weren't apparent before and dubbed in samples in mixes that had noise are now quite irritating. My Corda Move arrived today (bought from another forum) which I'm using as a DAC from my MacBook Pro (experimentally) and HOLY BASE BATMAN!

Directly from my computer, I can understand why some people might not feel that the MKV might need a strong source, but I'd bet that most people who feel that way have already damaged their hearing a fair bit or enjoy doing so. I don't listen to music seriously loud - the loudest being my MacBook Pro driving the hard-to-drive Quarts, and find that the MKV is perfectly capable.

I think you are right. I've been using my X-fi to Zero DAC/Amp to MKV and it is outstanding! Sure it points out imperfections. It is always a shock for me to find out I've been listening to "poor or flawed sources", but once I have them fixed, music is so much more impacting than before! I've also noticed that several of my CDs I thought were ok, are in fact crap. Usually the ones made (or made over) in the last 10 years, so I go on Amazon and order used ones that are earlier releases. This has been very beneficial in fixing some of these problems, and cheap too!
biggrin.gif
I'll keep which ever case and pics look better and toss the bad CD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #157 of 168
Well got the MK V in today. Just set it up with a CDP with some dance music looped with plenty of highs, mids and bass. I guess I have most of the sound spectrum covered.

Since I still haven't received my DT990, the only headphone I have available are the PX100. All I can say is if you DARE pass 6 on the volume knob, then your ears are damaged or you really don't care about your ear drums. It is crazy loud, insane loud. Blows away my Marantz and HK headphone out x 2 fold I would estimate.

Give the amp a good source and it will perform, as Penchum has already mentioned.

Yes I do hear a tiny bit of Input 1 when Input 2 is selected. This is normal.

The only two problems I have found are:

1) the volume knob was hard to turn as it was rubbing up against the faceplate. I loosened the allen grub screw, pushed out the knob 1/2 mm, retightend and now it's smooth.

2) The other tiny error I see is that they don't sand the faceplate deep enough because I can still see some cast marks around the holes on the faceplate. Very little, but a little bit more sanding would have made the whole faceplate a mirror. It's really nothing. Just wondering if this is what the other user was talking about. Other than that it's built like a tank!

Hey for $350.00 shipped to your doorstep, you just can't ask for more that this. Great value amp from build all the way to sound.

Soo...Its breaking in with the PX100(feel sorry for them suckers). Hopefully I will get the DT990 and continue the other 100+ hours of burn in. I really don't see a need to use pink noise.

I would just like to know if the amp would burn in better with the 250 Ohm headphones and pink noise?

Thx

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #158 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well got the MK V in today. Just set it up with a CDP with some dance music looped with plenty of highs, mids and bass. I guess I have most of the sound spectrum covered.

Since I still haven't received my DT990, the only headphone I have available are the PX100. All I can say is if you DARE pass 6 on the volume knob, then your ears are damaged or you really don't care about your ear drums. It is crazy loud, insane loud. Blows away my Marantz and HK headphone out x 2 fold I would estimate.

Give the amp a good source and it will perform, as Penchum has already mentioned.

Yes I do hear a tiny bit of Input 1 when Input 2 is selected. This is normal.

The only two problems I have found are:

1) the volume knob was hard to turn as it was rubbing up against the faceplate. I loosened the allen grub screw, pushed out the knob 1/2 mm, retightend and now it's smooth.

2) The other tiny error I see is that they don't sand the faceplate deep enough because I can still see some cast marks around the holes on the faceplate. Very little, but a little bit more sanding would have made the whole faceplate a mirror. It's really nothing. Just wondering if this is what the other user was talking about. Other than that it's built like a tank!

Hey for $350.00 shipped to your doorstep, you just can't ask for more that this. Great value amp from build all the way to sound.

Soo...Its breaking in with the PX100(feel sorry for them suckers). Hopefully I will get the DT990 and continue the other 100+ hours of burn in. I really don't see a need to use pink noise.

I would just like to know if the amp would burn in better with the 250 Ohm headphones and pink noise?

Thx

Ahh, who knows!
smily_headphones1.gif
I always just put a load on it and run it. I think you'll be fine, considering you are going to do the same with your DT990s when they arrive.
smily_headphones1.gif
You'll have to let us know how they sound!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #159 of 168
Do you think I will hurt my PX100 if I run them non stop untill my Beyers arrive? That could be 48 hours...

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #160 of 168
Quote:

Do you think I will hurt my PX100 if I run them non stop untill my Beyers arrive? That could be 48 hours...

As long as you are not blasting them across the room, you are probably doing them a favor!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #161 of 168
Received my Little Dot MK V last week (14 January), ran it continuously for a few days, and it is indeed awesome. (Currently running EAC WAV/CUE CD rips -> foobar2000 -> ASIO4ALL -> Mhdt Laboratory USB Plus Dialogue II via USB input -> HT Custom Cables 'Vector' interconnects -> Goldenjacks -10dB attenuators -> LD MK V -> Vivanco SR1000ifl headphones (anyone know anything about these headphones?).)

Can't wait for Penchum's review – I imagine he'll be able to articulate what I can't about the MK V!

I can see cast marks on the faceplate of mine as well, but I can't say they worry me. I also seem to be missing the grub screw from the volume knob, but I'll bug David about that.

Regarding ample loudness from the MK V, I got the Goldenjacks attenuators so comfortable listening volume is around 50% on the volume control (although I am running foobar2000 at -10dB attenuation as well while I play with my LiTe DAC-AH as well, which has a very 'hot' output), and they seem to be doing an admirable job.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #162 of 168
I just can't get over how well this amp sounds for the price. I wonder to what hi-end amp it can compare too.

I think it is a great amp for someone on a budget.

Anyways, I will hopefully see an even better inprovement after my 100Hour burn in.

Thx LD for making such an amp...

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #163 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfloopy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my Little Dot MK V last week (14 January), ran it continuously for a few days, and it is indeed awesome. (Currently running EAC WAV/CUE CD rips -> foobar2000 -> ASIO4ALL -> Mhdt Laboratory USB Plus Dialogue II via USB input -> HT Custom Cables 'Vector' interconnects -> Goldenjacks -10dB attenuators -> LD MK V -> Vivanco SR1000ifl headphones (anyone know anything about these headphones?).)

Can't wait for Penchum's review – I imagine he'll be able to articulate what I can't about the MK V!

I can see cast marks on the faceplate of mine as well, but I can't say they worry me. I also seem to be missing the grub screw from the volume knob, but I'll bug David about that.

Regarding ample loudness from the MK V, I got the Goldenjacks attenuators so comfortable listening volume is around 50% on the volume control (although I am running foobar2000 at -10dB attenuation as well while I play with my LiTe DAC-AH as well, which has a very 'hot' output), and they seem to be doing an admirable job.

Quote:

I just can't get over how well this amp sounds for the price. I wonder to what hi-end amp it can compare too.

I think it is a great amp for someone on a budget.

Anyways, I will hopefully see an even better inprovement after my 100Hour burn in.

Thx LD for making such an amp...

The hardest part of writing the review is the sound. I swear, every time I try to be a "critical" listener, I end up spacing out to the music and enjoying myself!
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe that says more!
biggrin.gif
I'm going to try and get the review and the pics finished up and posted before the weekend is out. Have fun!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #165 of 168
Just read Penchum's review thread...lots of folks have been picking up the LD, and are loving it. Don't really know how it would compare to the Canamp, but I have NO complaints with this baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back