Little DOT MKIII
Oct 19, 2007 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fran

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new headphone amp and am now pretty much set on a little dot - but theres the question, do I go for the MKIII or MKIV?

I'm using a LD2 at the moment and use both HD650s and K501s so I would need to be able to use both of these. I have good quality sources - Teres turntable and eastsound CDP primarily and an aikido based preamp. I intend to use the LD MKIII or IV as a headphone power amp using the attenuator on the pre as a volume control.

So I know the question has been asked before, but not clearly answered:

Is the MKIV worth it over the MKIII? I want a good quality neutral sound, not either emphasising treble or bass.

Has anyone listened with both of those cans to the MKIII or IV. Has anyone listened to those 2 amps and come down for either one?

EDIT: Another issue is the tube equivalents. Both amps use the same input tubes but the MKIV uses 6H30 as power tubes (no real equivalent) where as the MKIII uses 6N6 which can be subbed out by ECC99, E182CC, 6840 and 6BL7 (and maybe 6H30). I know the 6H30 is very highly rated - but is a bit of an unknown entity other than that. Availability of different tubes is a big plus in my books - about the only major fault of the original LD2.

Any advice much appreciated!

thanks,

Fran

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new headphone amp and am now pretty much set on a little dot - but theres the question, do I go for the MKIII or MKIV?

I'm using a LD2 at the moment and use both HD650s and K501s so I would need to be able to use both of these. I have good quality sources - Teres turntable and eastsound CDP primarily and an aikido based preamp. I intend to use the LD MKIII or IV as a headphone power amp using the attenuator on the pre as a volume control.

So I know the question has been asked before, but not clearly answered:

Is the MKIV worth it over the MKIII? I want a good quality neutral sound, not either emphasising treble or bass.

Has anyone listened with both of those cans to the MKIII or IV. Has anyone listened to those 2 amps and come down for either one?

EDIT: Another issue is the tube equivalents. Both amps use the same input tubes but the MKIV uses 6H30 as power tubes (no real equivalent) where as the MKIII uses 6N6 which can be subbed out by ECC99, E182CC, 6840 and 6BL7 (and maybe 6H30). I know the 6H30 is very highly rated - but is a bit of an unknown entity other than that. Availability of different tubes is a big plus in my books - about the only major fault of the original LD2.

Any advice much appreciated!

thanks,

Fran

Hi Fran!
Both the LD MKIII and MKIV(standard) have the jumpers to allow usage of the LDII++ tube families. The MKIV has more power for 600ohm headphones, but some feel that is not an issue. I had the LDII++(still do) and decided to purchase the LD MKIVse. So, I'm not the best source for differences between the MKIII and MKIV(standard). I know that everything I have read on both models has been positive, big time. Too me, the sweet spot appears to be the MKIII. If you have the bucks to spare, the MKIV(standard) should give you the same quality and tube rolling, with a little more headroom.
wink.gif

Hope this helps some...

Dave McLaughlin

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I don't think a lot of people have heard both amps. Something that complicates matters is that both sit right around the price of the Darkvoice 336i amp, which tends to be more popular since it uses more common tubes which is better for tube rolling, and thus allows for more likelihood that you can get a sound signature that you like.

The consensus tends to be that no one knows which of the 3 is really the best amp, but that you can't go wrong with any one of them as they're all quite good. Also, as usual, only you can really say if the price difference is worth the performance.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks guys,

what about using the MKIII with 501s?

Also - theres some info out there already on tube equivalents for the MKIII and MKIV but its all scattered and a bit confused. A good example is I think I read somewhere that the 6H6 (or 6N6 depending on your translation) is exchangeable for a E182CC or 5687 - but it ain't so, different pin-out. So I put up a post in the little dot forum with what I thought were compatible tubes and asked sword-yang or davidzhezhe to come back and comment. If they reply, I'll come back here with the info.

Fran

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Thanks guys,

what about using the MKIII with 501s?

Also - theres some info out there already on tube equivalents for the MKIII and MKIV but its all scattered and a bit confused. A good example is I think I read somewhere that the 6H6 (or 6N6 depending on your translation) is exchangeable for a E182CC or 5687 - but it ain't so, different pin-out. So I put up a post in the little dot forum with what I thought were compatible tubes and asked sword-yang or davidzhezhe to come back and comment. If they reply, I'll come back here with the info.

Fran

First, the MKIII with the 501's is a match made in heaven. I have several re-cabled pairs and with the MKIII's ability to remain tightly controled well into the sub-sonic region, the 501's will have more bass than you thought possible. I actually prefer the 501's to the newer 701's because of the mids and highs. With the 580/600's The III is in it's full spectrum element. I have found the MKIII to be one of the best bargains in audio at present. I have both III and IV residing in my house of amps.

With the III you have 2 tube choices for output, 6H6P and 6H6Pi and the difference between the 2 is sort of like between the 5687 and the 7119, that is to say not much. But at 2 bucks a pop, worth swapping. JJ's ECC99 is partly pin compatible 12.6v tube (shame) But if you can cut traces and solder it is a worthwhile and easily reversable hardwired mod.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Ahh the usual suspects with MK3's GREAT advice Negatron, Penchum, wheres Penguinedude? "And Sword Yang here too A full house!!!l. The III is in it's full spectrum element", "the sweet spot appears to be the MKIII" How true indeed. Fran you are in good company. It a stunner of an amp for the price & the stock tubes are damm fine for the job,so i don't think you have to roll to often.

here the thread: Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review (56k warning!)

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Sword-yang,

what about the other way around - can a 6H30 be used in the MKIII?

Fran

This more difficult: the need PCB board of the cathode 68 ohm resistance to change is 120 ohm.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 11
OK, well I could do that handy enough - if it was needed. But I think I will go for the MKIII.

Reasons:

tube availability/equivalents.
good reports on sonics.
cost has to come into it although I could go for the MKIV if needed.
I have a sneaking suspicion that while the fancy caps and pot do make a difference, a really good design doesn't need them as much - ie a good design with ordinary components beats a middling design with fancy components any day.
I can always sub in some fancy stuff if needed anyway (although the stuff thats on the boards looks OK too).
I'm using a LD2 and its pretty good - so if the MKIII is an improvement I'd like to hear that.
To me, a MKIV price is about what it would cost me to build an aikido so thats prob what I'd do in that situation.

So there you have it, in a long winded way.

I'm going to contact david tonight.

I'm not going for the darkvoice simply because I have dealt with LD before and got good service from them and I think that should be rewarded.

Fran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back