Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Apr 13, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #1,801 of 3,408
(So many Mk III threads... sorry for the similar posts...)

I absolutely love my LD II++ and am thinking about picking up a Mk III.

However, I've read that the Mk III is more solid-state-like, and lacks some of the "liquid mids and vocal intimacy" of the II++.

Have others found this to be true? Is the Mk III drastically different than the II++ in terms of liquid mids and general tubey-ness? If so, are there certain tube rolling combos that will help make it more like the II++ in regards to these qualities?

Thanks for any input you can offer!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #1,803 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(So many Mk III threads... sorry for the similar posts...)

I absolutely love my LD II++ and am thinking about picking up a Mk III.

However, I've read that the Mk III is more solid-state-like, and lacks some of the "liquid mids and vocal intimacy" of the II++.

Have others found this to be true? Is the Mk III drastically different than the II++ in terms of liquid mids and general tubey-ness? If so, are there certain tube rolling combos that will help make it more like the II++ in regards to these qualities?

Thanks for any input you can offer!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not heard the II++ so I can't compare the two. I do have a solid state amp and a Stax amp. The MKIII definitely has a warmer sound, with lusher midrange and greater soundstage. I don't know if the MKIII is the tubiest sounding amp out there but it's definitely different than the solid state amps I have.

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #1,804 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i still don't feel that my HD650's go well with this amp though. after all the tubes i tried so far, my HD650's still sounded veiled/bloated when matched with this amp. just not as detailed and clear as using a SS.

Two things:

1. Do you have the newer version of the HD650?
2. Have you broken in your headphones at least 200 hours?

I don't hear any veil at all with my HD650 and the LD MKIII. I did when I had a portable amp. I should also say that with my Squeezebox3 I have to put the gain at 3 to have the volume knob at 11 o'clock. It puts out 2v.

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #1,805 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two things:

1. Do you have the newer version of the HD650?
2. Have you broken in your headphones at least 200 hours?

I don't hear any veil at all with my HD650 and the LD MKIII. I did when I had a portable amp. I should also say that with my Squeezebox3 I have to put the gain at 3 to have the volume knob at 11 o'clock. It puts out 2v.

1. mines are older version HD650.
2. yes they are broken in and well over the 200 hour mark.

i'm using lowest gain setting with my Grado's (which is usually plenty loud enough). with my Senns i use highest gain setting and it is still veiled.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #1,806 of 3,408
Well, maybe there is something with the whole new vs old HD650s.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #1,807 of 3,408
Quote:

Well, maybe there is something with the whole new vs old HD650s.

that's what i was thinking...but not everyone has the newer HD650's though. strange that i'm the only one that finds them to not be a good match. something wrong with my amp?
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #1,808 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. mines are older version HD650.
2. yes they are broken in and well over the 200 hour mark.

i'm using lowest gain setting with my Grado's (which is usually plenty loud enough). with my Senns i use highest gain setting and it is still veiled.

I think i have the old version and mine doesn't sound veiled anymore with the new WE403b tubes I got. I also changed my gain setting to "7" (whatever level is under the "10") and it sounds very good.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #1,809 of 3,408
Also, i think if you listen to Grados a great deal then that will likely make you think that the Senns are veiled.

Sort of like being outside in the sun and coming inside - everything looks dark for a few minutes. You need for your ears and brain to adjust to the sound.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #1,810 of 3,408
Quote:

Also, i think if you listen to Grados a great deal then that will likely make you think that the Senns are veiled.

i don't think it's that. i mean when i pair the two together it's almost unbearable. i have to try really hard to hear for the details and adjust to the sound, but it's clearly not the right sound.

i'm debating whether i should sell off my old 650s and get a newer pair. but i like the dark/mellow sound of them though, that's what kind of drew me to them...i'm not sure if i'd like the new one if it's snappier, but the veil on the old one sure is annoying as hell.
redface.gif

edit: just took off the pads and saw that mines are the "newer" ones with the metallic screening. soo weird...
confused.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #1,811 of 3,408
I would sell the amp and get the HD600s.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #1,812 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the II++ so I can't compare the two. I do have a solid state amp and a Stax amp. The MKIII definitely has a warmer sound, with lusher midrange and greater soundstage. I don't know if the MKIII is the tubiest sounding amp out there but it's definitely different than the solid state amps I have.

Cool, thanks for the input.

I've got a Mk III on its way in the mail, now.
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #1,813 of 3,408
I got myself some Mullard EF92 (M8083) tubes the other day for my MK III when it arrives. They're both properly matched, NOS and the military version. Cost just over £10, pretty good I think.

Does anyone use the upgraded jumpers? Worth getting?

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #1,815 of 3,408
If your little dot is new you won't need jumpers at all. Last summer, around June/July they started using DIP switches instead of jumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back