Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Apr 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #1,831 of 3,408
This is absolutely right. High impedance headphones like a lot of voltage, and OTL amps are good at that. Low impedance cans demand a lot of current, and OTL amps are not so good at that.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #1,832 of 3,408
Just tried some more with M8083 (EF91) and really like their clear and spacious sound. I did not notice any negative change switching from M8161 (EF92) yet. It really cleans up the sonic stage quite a bit. It is also fun to see the "fireworks" ever time M8083 lights up.
wink.gif

Also I notice that my M8083 seems to remove the channel imbalance. Initially, I thought the imbalance comes from the power tube (since I have been told the M8161 is matched). It turns out the M8161 may have some effect there. I guess when I have bad combination (same imbalance on both power and drive tubes) and it is more noticeable than a better comb (opposite imbalance between power and drive tubes). Is it possible? (Haven't done much switching around.)

It seems tube mismatch is inevitable. What is your solution when you have imbalanced tubes?

DT880 is much picky and revealing on the imbalance. HD600 is more forgiving. This is clearly understandable due to the strength of DT880 in details and soundstage.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #1,833 of 3,408
Hey there -

Just got my MK III yesterday and I am loving this little baby!
smily_headphones1.gif

Question: I've got some Ulyanov 6S19P-B power tubes I've used with my LD II++. Would these be usable with the MK III?

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #1,834 of 3,408
Nope.

You can use 6N6P or 6N6P-I. David even just recently mentioned that you can also drop in the 6N30P if you have a new version (v2) of the MKIII. It will run a little warmer though - and you'll pay out the arse for those tubes. The 6N6P is a good and most importantly, cheap, tube.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #1,835 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I notice that my M8083 seems to remove the channel imbalance. Initially, I thought the imbalance comes from the power tube (since I have been told the M8161 is matched). It turns out the M8161 may have some effect there.

FINALLY, my 6N6P power tubes arrived. They started their journey on 4/7 from Ukraine and I have been waiting for it everyday.

But patience pays off. My LD MKIII sound like a TOTALLY new amp. I am so satisfied by its new sound. All the muddy, hot, noisy feeling is gone with more detailed sound. Sound gets focused and condensed through out the whole freq span. Most importantly the soundstage is dramaticlly improved with DT880. And I am using M8161 (not the spacious M8083)!!!! I was very impressed by M8083 with old power tube, but M8161 with new power tube comes even beyond that.

The imbalance is also disappeared.
beerchug.gif
I think the now balanced sound is one of the sources bring dramatic soundstage improvment.

WoW! I didn't know that the old power tubes will cause that kind of damage to SQ. I know they have been old (~1000 hrs according to previous owner, Nick), but not THAT bad. Poor Nick, he must sold it becuse of the sonic torture of those old power and drive tubes (M8100).

I was set to get new tubes since the 1st day I got it. Unfortunately, I was suffered so long due to the long long shipping time.

I read some posts mention that tube amps have great soundstage and I couldn't believe it at all. Now, I know what are they talking about. Wow!

Now I get the chance to really listen to the difference of M8083 and M8161.
dt880smile.png

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #1,836 of 3,408
Nice, time for some more tube rolling then. If you got your tubes from Ukraine, then you probably got a nice reserve of backup tubes. Enjoy!

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,837 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, time for some more tube rolling then. If you got your tubes from Ukraine, then you probably got a nice reserve of backup tubes. Enjoy!

So did you mean that those tubes from Ukraine are pretty good? Do you have some known good sources there? Unless they are very good or the long shipping time really make me hesitate (but now I got 2 reserves
regular_smile .gif
)

The ebay seller is doing a great job labeling the tube will several numbers to help the buyer match them (I got 4). I don't quite get those (there are two bold numbers, and two labeled "Id or Io" and two labeled "S"). I just pick two that have closed matched bold number (reads 12.2/12.2 & 12.3/12.5).

Any idea? Thanks!

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #1,838 of 3,408
No I meant that they usually sell you a bunch of tubes - not just two - for a good price. So now you have some backups.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #1,839 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope.

You can use 6N6P or 6N6P-I. David even just recently mentioned that you can also drop in the 6N30P if you have a new version (v2) of the MKIII. It will run a little warmer though - and you'll pay out the arse for those tubes. The 6N6P is a good and most importantly, cheap, tube.

Ah, thanks. That's too bad.

Will check out the 6N6P. Is there a certain manufacturer/brand to look for?

May 1, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #1,840 of 3,408
They're all Russian made. Some say certain factories are better than other, but I don't know. There are plenty available on e-bay - most are from Eastern Europe.

May 1, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #1,843 of 3,408
I'm interested in trying the most tubey-sounding driver tubes going. As in lush, liquid, warm, creamy - just totally over-the-top in all these aspects.

What would be a good choice for this?

May 2, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #1,844 of 3,408
I'm using some Raytheon JRP-6AK5W tubes right now and they sound pretty tubey to me. I also found the Western Electric 403B to be even more lush with a bigger soundstage. Others may disagree.

May 3, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #1,845 of 3,408
Cool, will check those out, thanks.

Looking to try the warmest, most gooey, syrupy and creamy tubes going... willing to sacrifice detail for all this gushy goodness, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back