Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
May 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #1,846 of 3,406
Quote:

Originally Posted by MinoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to know what is the difference...

I'm not sure there is any real difference other than that they were made a couple of years apart.

May 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #1,847 of 3,406
May 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #1,848 of 3,406
It seems like people have been looking for these. I think I finally found some real military spec (not general consumer) M8161 Mullards. I'm probably going to order some today:

CV4015 M8161 EF92 9D6 MULLARD QDD TUBE VALVE NOS PAIR - (eBay.ca item 270280786849 end time 26-May-09 07:42:27 EDT)

From what I've been seeing on ebay, there's a couple people selling what's labeled at M8161 tubes, but their pictures are STOCK images I've seen 3-4 places online. It makes me think that they're going to not be the real thing once you get them (like equivalents). Even Yen is selling equivalents (CV131) with a label of it being = to M8161. To my understanding, yes the tube will work, but you're getting different sound out of the thing.

These look good though, what do you think?

May 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #1,850 of 3,406
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... anyone tried the Sylvania blue-glass 6AK5? Yen has them but the price is even higher than usual... wonder if they sound great or just novelty because of the blue. I know some really liked the Sylvanias they got, but the one pair I tried was horribly microphonic. Any thoughts?

Sylvania Blue Glass 6AK5 5654 Little Dot Amplifier EF95 - eBay (item 280330926579 end time Jun-05-09 02:05:06 PDT)

I'd like to hear what people think on those, too. The price seems to be pretty high for them. I wonder how they compare to the Voshod 6ZH1P's? Speaking of those, anyone notice that the price of these have gone up in general now that more people are starting to praise their (originally) inexpensive, diamond-in-the-rough quality?

May 7, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #1,851 of 3,406
Quote:

Originally Posted by BombayTheIndian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to hear what people think on those, too. The price seems to be pretty high for them. I wonder how they compare to the Voshod 6ZH1P's? Speaking of those, anyone notice that the price of these have gone up in general now that more people are starting to praise their (originally) inexpensive, diamond-in-the-rough quality?

That's pretty much been the trend with EF95 tubes in general... since the MKIII and Darkvoice amps have become popular the price of these tubes (especially NOS) has skyrocketed. Not to mention that NOS tube only get more rare as time goes on by definition.

May 8, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #1,852 of 3,406
Most tubes that I buy are still pretty reasonable, you just have to know what to look for and have patience. 4-12 dollars per tube seems about the (reasonable) going rate for EF95, EF92, and EF91 tubes..

May 8, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #1,853 of 3,406
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... anyone tried the Sylvania blue-glass 6AK5? Yen has them but the price is even higher than usual... wonder if they sound great or just novelty because of the blue. I know some really liked the Sylvanias they got, but the one pair I tried was horribly microphonic. Any thoughts?

Sylvania Blue Glass 6AK5 5654 Little Dot Amplifier EF95 - eBay (item 280330926579 end time Jun-05-09 02:05:06 PDT)

Those tubes are made in England, so maybe they are made by Mullard or by Amperex. I'm curious if they have a Phillips/Mullard code eched in on them.

May 8, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #1,854 of 3,406
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most tubes that I buy are still pretty reasonable, you just have to know what to look for and have patience. 4-12 dollars per tube seems about the (reasonable) going rate for EF95, EF92, and EF91 tubes..

Care to enlighten me? I've had mostly nothing but bad luck buying from anyone other than Yen.

May 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #1,855 of 3,406
Quote:

I agree! Have you found any real military spec Mullard M8161's for a cheaper price than 30/pair shipped?

May 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #1,856 of 3,406
E-bay mainly. List below are from e-bay unless noted.

Like my last and best purchase. Five Sylvania 6AK5WB tubes for 20 bucks including shipping. 6AK5 EF95 6J1 SYLVANIA BLACK PLATE NOS SLEEVE - eBay (item 130303982804 end time May-03-09 20:09:20 PDT)

Other best tubes:

Raytheon 6AK5W from thetubecenter.com for 4 bucks a piece.
CEI EF92 (not sure who originally made them in England) for 5 bucks a piece.
Vishod 6ZH1P-EV - 17 bucks for 4 (including shipping)
Mullard CV4010 - 18 bucks for 2 (including shipping)

Others:
Brimar EF91 - two for 9 bucks including shipping
WE 403B for 10 bucks a piece from thetubecenter.com
GE 5-stars for 4 bucks a piece from antique electronic supply
Mullard EF91s for 3 bucks a piece.

Plus a few crappy tubes I got burned on, but overall I had a good experience. Granted I could have just bought the best tubes from Yen and be done with it, but I've had a good time trying out all these tubes. Plus I'm just cheap and like finding a good deal.

May 8, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #1,857 of 3,406
Quote:

SNIP
Plus a few crappy tubes I got burned on, but overall I had a good experience. Granted I could have just bought the best tubes from Yen and be done with it, but I've had a good time trying out all these tubes. Plus I'm just cheap and like finding a good deal.

haha thanks for that. Guess I've just had bad luck the few times I've tried. I keep looking on ebay but am wary after a few I thought were gonna be killer came with problems (like when I tried to get the Sylvanias).

Anyway thanks for the tips. I'll just keep scouring the 'net.

May 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #1,858 of 3,406
I'm pretty sure those sylvania tubes I got (black plate round getter - 6ak5wb) are THE tubes everyone was raving about earlier in this thread. I'm pretty sure that guy sold 3 or 4 sets of 5 tubes for $15+5 bucks shipping. Pretty sweet deal. You got to look everyday though.

I'm giving up all my secrets now that I'm pretty much done hoarding tubes!

May 8, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #1,859 of 3,406
Quote:

Originally Posted by BombayTheIndian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like people have been looking for these. I think I finally found some real military spec (not general consumer) M8161 Mullards. I'm probably going to order some today:

CV4015 M8161 EF92 9D6 MULLARD QDD TUBE VALVE NOS PAIR - (eBay.ca item 270280786849 end time 26-May-09 07:42:27 EDT)

These look good though, what do you think?

Unfortunately those are the small shield Mullards. The small shields are not bad at all but the large shield (military) version is noticeably better. The biggest difference is with bass and overall weight to various instruments like the piano, bass, guitar etc. The large shields are imo the best overall tubes for the MKIII.

IIRC the CV131 sounds closer to the large shield 8161 then the small shield 8161s do. The small shields are a newer stock. I would buy these instead Mullard CV131. Clean those pins until they are shiny and you are good to go.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,860 of 3,406
Quote:

E-bay mainly. List below are from e-bay unless noted.

Like my last and best purchase. Quad of Sylvania 6AK5WB tubes for 20 bucks including shipping. 6AK5 EF95 6J1 SYLVANIA BLACK PLATE NOS SLEEVE - eBay (item 130303982804 end time May-03-09 20:09:20 PDT)

Other best tubes:

Raytheon 6AK5W from thetubecenter.com for 4 bucks a piece.
CEI EF92 (not sure who originally made them in England) for 5 bucks a piece.
Vishod 6ZH1P-EV - 17 bucks for 4 (including shipping)
Mullard CV4010 - 18 bucks for 2 (including shipping)

Others:
Brimar EF91 - two for 9 bucks including shipping
WE 403B for 10 bucks a piece from thetubecenter.com
GE 5-stars for 4 bucks a piece from antique electronic supply
Mullard EF91s for 3 bucks a piece.

My experience pretty well parallels yours... I've bought a few hundred tubes off of eBay and just had one bad experience but the seller refunded my money on that purchase. I did have to leave bad feedback for him before he offered a refund if i retracted it. Sellers are usually afraid of bad feedback..You can usually buy alot of tubes for the amount that you'd pay Yen for one pair, and getting some hidden gems for good deals is more appealling to me. And as you said, if you're patient and observant you can get some excellent tubes. Alot of times the pics of the tubes will help you find real deals...Last week I got 2 Amperex Bugle Boys that were only advertised as Amperex..The photos clearly showed them to be Bugle Boys and I got them for $10 But deals are alot harder to find than they were a year ago...

Those Sylvania 6ak5wb's are a real steal..Congrats....A few head-fiers thought they were just as good or better than the Sylvania Golds...I originally picked up 10 about a year ago and they are my favorite 6ak5. I think they were from the same lot as yours as the sleeves look identical even down to the check mark on the individual boxes... Let us know what u think of them after u get them burnt in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back