Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Mar 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,166 of 4,154
Yes I know Sonic mentioned the voltage doubler and I don't know if he has done any more work on it
I’ve found that voltage doublers are noisy and needs to be followed by a reg. Even with a regulator in place it brings quite a lot of psu noise. IMO we don’t need higher B+ for the input stage if we use 6SL7/ECC35/6C8G and a CCS tail. It can drive the output stage no problem and bias points are good. The main benefit would be the ability to use higher anode loads.

Question.. How do i test the tube bias using a multimeter?
Measure voltage drop across the anode resistor. Use ohms law to calculate the current. The current is chaired between the triodes in the output tubes. Input stage has one anode resistor / triode.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,167 of 4,154
Measure voltage drop across the anode resistor. Use ohms law to calculate the current. The current is chaired between the triodes in the output tubes. Input stage has one anode resistor / triode.

Gotcha yeah, kinda clicked a bit later.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,168 of 4,154
I’ve found that voltage doublers are noisy and needs to be followed by a reg. Even with a regulator in place it brings quite a lot of psu noise. IMO we don’t need higher B+ for the input stage if we use 6SL7/ECC35/6C8G and a CCS tail. It can drive the output stage no problem and bias points are good. The main benefit would be the ability to use higher anode loads.

Oh, very interesting. Yes I noticed the bias points looked good on your ECC35 graph.

The CCS has certainly solved the balance issue too by all accounts.

Re: the 6SL7's I remember people on the other LD thread liking the Tungsol 6SN7 better than the 6SL7 for example, and I could never understand why I always preferred the 6SL7's so I think you're right about the better tubes for the LD. You've got to have high gain on this amp.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,169 of 4,154
And are there any other changes that are necessary for the CCS tail?

Just replace the 2x3k3 resistors in PSU with 1k or 750R to get a bit more voltage.

The other thing is the last C caps in the RCRC filter in the driver stage should not be higher than stock 33uF but I see yours are 15uF so that's alright.

So are you thinking of doing it any day soon?

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #3,170 of 4,154
Just replace the 2x3k3 resistors in PSU with 1k or 750R to get a bit more voltage.

The other thing is the last C caps in the RCRC filter in the driver stage should not be higher than stock 33uF but I see yours are 15uF so that's alright.

So are you thinking of doing it any day soon?

Yeah probably next weekend. This weekend im redoing my wiring, with better routing and swapping out tube sockets with better ones.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #3,171 of 4,154
Yeah probably next weekend. This weekend im redoing my wiring, with better routing and swapping out tube sockets with better ones.

Hey, wait a minute...... I forgot to tell you new members aren't allowed to beat me LOL.

So be careful with that wiring.......
:)

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #3,172 of 4,154
Hey, wait a minute...... I forgot to tell you new members aren't allowed to beat me LOL.

So be careful with that wiring.......
:)

Haha trust me even i beat you with speed, im not even close to having the amount of know how you guys have. Im pretty learning how to read amp schematics and recall whatever i learnt during my undergrad and makes sense of things.

The only hard part being, locating traces and the right test points on the black PCB.

Ill keep you posted for sure and post pictures, plan is to swap out wires one by one (or in pairs) so that i dont have to keep track of a bajillion things.

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #3,173 of 4,154
Guys, this is a great tip for desoldering I got from an electronics man: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-sleeves/3031748/
They fit on the end of the solder sucker. I could never get on with the solder sucker but these give a better suction on the end and you can change them when they get burnt.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3,174 of 4,154
In the mods we actually removed and replaced the stock 33uf for more space.

They are tiny electrolytics at last end of PSU.
In this location they would be more useful as film or pulse-type film caps instead.

If you can fit higher capacity than what we used, then all the better for you.

No one said you can't go higher than stock.
Its just the limitation of internal space.
It's hard to fit anything bigger than what we put in.

They not have to be expensive audio caps either,
as their function is for speed/transients/current delivery.
Further Comments were on first page.

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #3,176 of 4,154
In the mods we actually removed and replaced the stock 33uf for more space.

They are tiny electrolytics at last end of PSU.
In this location they would be more useful as film or pulse-type film caps instead.

If you can fit higher capacity than what we used, then all the better for you.

OK, I know you have higher and so do I, and Sonic has only 15uF. I was thinking of changing mine for 33uF because I didn't want to stress the PSU when I lower my last R to around 1k.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,177 of 4,154
OK, I know you have higher and so do I, and Sonic has only 15uF. I was thinking of changing mine for 33uF because I didn't want to stress the PSU when I lower my last R to around 1k.

So questions -

What are the draw backs of swapping out the 3.3k R's with 2.2k or 1k R's without the CCS Tail installed?

Also Advantages / Drawbacks of doing both the 3.3k R swap to 2.2k/1k along with having 33uF instead of the 15uF caps?

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #3,178 of 4,154
So questions -

What are the draw backs of swapping out the 3.3k R's with 2.2k or 1k R's without the CCS Tail installed?

Also Advantages / Drawbacks of doing both the 3.3k R swap to 2.2k/1k along with having 33uF instead of the 15uF caps?

All I know about this is that one recommendation on this thread is not to decrease the second R in the RCRC filter at the same time as increasing capacitance in the last C due to possible adverse effects on the PSU, unless we are sure the PSU is strong enough to handle it. As I'm not sure it is then you might like to follow that advice. However I'm sure Maxx has increased his last C with no adverse effects so maybe the PSU can handle it alright.

33uF should be fine though because that is the stock value, and also someone here said that Little Dot had advised of a decrease in the second R themselves so no problem with decreasing that R.

The advantage of dropping the resistance of the that R is to gain a few precious volts to put the tubes in a better operating region on the load lines potentially.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #3,179 of 4,154
All I know about this is that one recommendation on this thread is not to decrease the second R in the RCRC filter at the same time as increasing capacitance in the last C due to possible adverse effects of the PSU, unless we are sure the PSU is strong enough to handle it. As I'm not sure it is then you might like to follow that advice. However I'm sure Maxx has increased his last C with no adverse effects so maybe the PSU can handle it alright.

33uF should be fine though because that is the stock value, and also someone here said that Little Dot had advised of a decrease in that R themselves so no problem with decreasing that R.

The advantage of dropping the resistance of that R is to gain a few precious volts to put the tubes in a better operating region on the load lines potentially.

The fact is that the need for filtering when you have forced balance with the CCS decreases so that is the reason that you can drop values in the filter.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #3,180 of 4,154
Finished rewiring stuffs ended up not touching the transformer wiring, since it was being wayyyy too difficult to remove the existing wires and didnt seem worth the trouble.
Swapped out the tube sockets for better ones as well. Along with routing some annoying wires properly so as to make things more accessible. Sure its not pretty , but it avoids the potential issues that might creep in with straight/parallel wiring.
Also putting those tiny 0.22uF caps at the bottom, might just let me use the 33uF 450V caps instead of the 250V ones.

Going to add in the RIFA's and the mills resistors tomorrow, maybe the other components on the other side of the board as well.

https://imgur.com/a/vxoJS (Album)

TMbr2vF.jpg

CTMJMAT.jpg

KLOKuV5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back