Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #3,182 of 4,154
@bloodhawk
Nice progress pics! One thing I’d do though is put insulation on the leads of the tiny .22 uF caps. Just to avoid future shorts.
@bloodhawk
Nice progress pics! One thing I’d do though is put insulation on the leads of the tiny .22 uF caps. Just to avoid future shorts.

Thanks!

Its kinda baffling how some of the wiring is just routed so poorly.

On another note, one of my 100Ohm 5W resistors went up in smoke... any idea what could cause this ? I turned off the amp instantly and have ordered 10W Mills resistors instead. But im rather curious what could be the reason, everything else looks perfectly normal.

EDIT - Well found my idiotic mistake that cause one of the filter caps to go bye bye -
0H0FEPs.jpg

In case anyone new is wondering, that circled wire need to goto the ground pad to the left.

Sad i have to wait 2 more days now, everything was looking so pretty -

sNTdL5c.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #3,183 of 4,154
Thanks!

Its kinda baffling how some of the wiring is just routed so poorly.

On another note, one of my 100Ohm 5W resistors went up in smoke... any idea what could cause this ? I turned off the amp instantly and have ordered 10W Mills resistors instead. But im rather curious what could be the reason, everything else looks perfectly normal.

EDIT - Well found my idiotic mistake that cause one of the filter caps to go bye bye -
0H0FEPs.jpg

In case anyone new is wondering, that circled wire need to goto the ground pad to the left.

sNTdL5c.jpg
That's impressive details and very helpful idea. Unfortunately, my mk8se still cant find out the error yet even after change NPN & PNP transistor, Zener diode and resistors, the amp still read '0' after right side VU Meter light up while turning on

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #3,184 of 4,154
That's impressive details and very helpful idea. Unfortunately, my mk8se still cant find out the error yet even after change NPN & PNP transistor, Zener diode and resistors, the amp still read '0' after right side VU Meter light up while turning on

What were your voltage checks like ?

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #3,186 of 4,154
The problem is I don't know how to check the voltage, need guidance

So as its been stated before BE VERY VERY CAREFUL BEFORE MEASURING VOLTAGE ON A LIVE / ACTIVE AMPLIFIER or any electrical equipment!!!!

Make sure the tubes installed are good, and the amps is upside down propped up on something stable! You do not want, it moving around or sliding/falling when turned on. Before plugging in the mains cable, double check everything and the surrounding area has plenty of space, and nothing interferes when you are moving around or moving the multi-meter leads around.

Next, switch the Multi-meter to DC Voltage mode and put the Black / Negative lead from your multi-meter into one of the holes circled BLACK , this way you can freely move around your other hand.

You want to first measure your voltage to the terminals circled red. If all of these are consistent, then your PSU stage is fine. On the MK VI+ , they are @ 100V for me. @Maxx134 or @SonicTrance might know what they should be for the MK VIII.

Next if those are fine and the PSU stage is indeed OK , then you should measure the voltages, at the terminals circled white. Im not sure how much they should be on the MK VIII , as that amp uses different tubes. So someone else like @Maxx134 will have to chime in. and tell you if the values that you report are in line or not and that will help in tracking down the issue.

After if the voltages at the terminals marked red and white are consistent, and seem normal. Check at the terminals marked yellow.
hrAHD0s.jpg

Once you take the readings, post them here. And make sure you mentioned what value is from which point to which point.

AGAIN>>> BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL!!!! IF YOU FEEL THIS IS A LITTLE TOO DANGEROUS OR DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO/HOW TO DO.... STOP! And Maybe find someone else around you who knows their way around electronics to do it for you.

A shock from a live equiment like this can kill you, SO BE CAREFUL!!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #3,187 of 4,154
While turn on the amp, I heard sound 'pop' like short explosion after second VU meter light up. However when I open the case, fuse show normal. can't find any circuit, resistor and wire burn even after check with DMM,
I understand it's a bit risky but will have another try with your method as the mention above, thanks

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #3,188 of 4,154
So as its been stated before BE VERY VERY CAREFUL BEFORE MEASURING VOLTAGE ON A LIVE / ACTIVE AMPLIFIER or any electrical equipment!!!!

Make sure the tubes installed are good, and the amps is upside down propped up on something stable! You do not want, it moving around or sliding/falling when turned on. Before plugging in the mains cable, double check everything and the surrounding area has plenty of space, and nothing interferes when you are moving around or moving the multi-meter leads around.

Next, switch the Multi-meter to DC Voltage mode and put the Black / Negative lead from your multi-meter into one of the holes circled BLACK , this way you can freely move around your other hand.

You want to first measure your voltage to the terminals circled red. If all of these are consistent, then your PSU stage is fine. On the MK VI+ , they are @ 100V for me. @Maxx134 or @SonicTrance might know what they should be for the MK VIII.

Next if those are fine and the PSU stage is indeed OK , then you should measure the voltages, at the terminals circled white. Im not sure how much they should be on the MK VIII , as that amp uses different tubes. So someone else like @Maxx134 will have to chime in. and tell you if the values that you report are in line or not and that will help in tracking down the issue.

After if the voltages at the terminals marked red and white are consistent, and seem normal. Check at the terminals marked yellow.
hrAHD0s.jpg

Once you take the readings, post them here. And make sure you mentioned what value is from which point to which point.

AGAIN>>> BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL!!!! IF YOU FEEL THIS IS A LITTLE TOO DANGEROUS OR DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO/HOW TO DO.... STOP! And Maybe find someone else around you who knows their way around electronics to do it for you.

While turn on the amp, I heard sound 'pop' like short explosion after second VU meter light up. However when I open the case, fuse show normal. can't find any circuit, resistor and wire burn even after check with DMM,
I understand it's a bit risky but will have another try with your method as the mention above, thanks

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #3,189 of 4,154

Nice work bloodhawk...... apart from that blasted wire LOL. That's the way it is with this amp, 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Seriously though, that's so easy to do!

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #3,190 of 4,154
The problem is I don't know how to check the voltage, need guidance

That's good advice from bloodhawk, just remember not to touch anything while the amp is switched on, except with your multimeter, also leave it to discharge after you switch it off for about 30 minutes before touching anything.

I am wondering if your headphone protection circuit kicked in. If so there must be something causing that to happen.

Have you taken values of every resistor in the orange circle below, I can give you the proper values if you want.

upload_2018-4-9_11-40-1.png

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #3,191 of 4,154
That's good advice from bloodhawk, just remember not to touch anything while the amp is switched on, except with your multimeter, also leave it to discharge after you switch it off for about 30 minutes before touching anything.

I am wondering if your headphone protection circuit kicked in. If so there must be something causing that to happen.

Have you taken values of every resistor in the orange circle below, I can give you the proper values if you want.

what's the value? thanks

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3,192 of 4,154
Here you go kinglim: (I used one of Sonic's pics hope he doesn't mind, mine were too blurry lol)

upload_2018-4-9_13-19-31.png

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #3,193 of 4,154
....might be easier to read....

upload_2018-4-9_13-26-3.png

upload_2018-4-9_13-26-57.png

Edit: I'm pretty sure they're the same on the MKViii.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #3,195 of 4,154

hrAHD0s.jpg

I assembly back to simple setup and just got all the voltage reading now, seem like something error on right side output.
Read from picture above shown:
Red first left to right : (151.5) (-108) (-108) (151.5) (151.5) (1.0) (1.0) (151.5)
White left to right : (149) (-105) (-94) (149) (149) (1.0) (1.0) (149)
Yellow left to right (213) (213) (214) (214)
Help needed for the negative reading, thanks

IMG_9162.JPG
IMG_9163.JPG
IMG_9165.JPG
IMG_9166.JPG
IMG_9167.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back