Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Feb 8, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,486 of 2,724
  i didn't understand ... about which motor is talking about ? by the way ... which DAC do you use John57?

The motor at the end of the volume pot for remote operation of volume. The motor is just taking up space and has no connection to the circuit board. The LD VI has no space for motor control circuity. 
I am on my 7th DAC the Oppo HA-1 I have out lived three DAC's due to a power supply issue, channel went out and Etc.   

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,487 of 2,724
  The motor at the end of the volume pot for remote operation of volume. The motor is just taking up space and has no connection to the circuit board. The LD VI has no space for motor control circuity. 
I am on my 7th DAC the Oppo HA-1 I have out lived three DAC's due to a power supply issue, channel went out and Etc.   

i think you should try Anedio D2, is a neutral and accurate as can as be with the LD MK VI+ if is the power supply issue i recommend you a Online UPS Emerson Liebert GXT3.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,488 of 2,724
Too bad that Psvane doesn't make 6AS7 coke bottle power tubes.  I would buy them in a heartbeat as soon as they make them.  
I couldn't help it.  My OCD kicked in.  I'm in love with Psvane tube that I just couldn't stop the urge to match the color of my RCA JAN 6AS7G to Psvane color.  Luckily local Michael's store had the copper and gold that I mixed to match the color as close to the original as possible.

Now I need to make a custom decals for the Psvane Logo to stick them on the base or on the glass.

I know some of you might be thinking this is so ghetto...like putting MB or BMW emblem on a Honda Civic.  Well...it's just temporary until Psvane makes 6AS7s.  I'm holding my breath.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #1,489 of 2,724
  Too bad that Psvane doesn't make 6AS7 coke bottle power tubes.  I would buy them in a heartbeat as soon as they make them.  
I couldn't help it.  My OCD kicked in.  I'm in love with Psvane tube that I just couldn't stop the urge to match the color of my RCA JAN 6AS7G to Psvane color.  Luckily local Michael's store had the copper and gold that I mixed to match the color as close to the original as possible.

Now I need to make a custom decals for the Psvane Logo to stick them on the base or on the glass.

I know some of you might be thinking this is so ghetto...like putting MB or BMW emblem on a Honda Civic.  Well...it's just temporary until Psvane makes 6AS7s.  I'm holding my breath.

I don't understand why no one make 6as7g tubes ...

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,492 of 2,724
  Because there is no profit in it. Until the supply of low cost Russian NOS 6as7g dries up.

there is a lot of difference in SQ between a 5998 tubes and Russian NOS 6as7g?

i found this ... http://www.tube-and-valve-electronics.co.uk/wholesale/product.asp?ID=365 these guys manufacture 6as7g tubes i think so ... i don't know how the performance them but it's something

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,493 of 2,724
Billington are just a reseller (I have dealt with Martin / team for many years and recommend them strongly), these are just standard Russian tubes that they put through a selection process for noise / matching etc. But the Russian tube is high quality start so are great value but they do not make stuff themselves. Much less hit and miss than dealing with Russian / Ikraine Ebay sellers unless you buy in quantity and have a tester to hand.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,494 of 2,724
  Why do you need a balanced inputs if the amp is already quiet? also i think that can't build an amp of 300B with balanced outputs cuz i never saw one, manley Labs, WA5, Sophia Electric amps, etc etc etc ... these amps don't have balanced input.

That's an interesting question that I don't feel qualified to answer, perhaps someone will tell us. I was, and still am skeptical that breaking up and recombining the signal can improve the sound other than by removing noise which is the main benefit. I does however introduce a further level of processing analogous to having different speaker drivers instead of just one, there are people on both sides of the fence. Suffice it to say I wanted to maximise my listening pleasure over headphones and this was the way to do it, until further developments come along. I don't however see the point of a balanced output without balanced inputs thats too far down the line to give any benefit. Also one reason that Woo have not done this is it would near double the price.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,495 of 2,724
  Billington are just a reseller (I have dealt with Martin / team for many years and recommend them strongly), these are just standard Russian tubes that they put through a selection process for noise / matching etc. But the Russian tube is high quality start so are great value but they do not make stuff themselves. Much less hit and miss than dealing with Russian / Ikraine Ebay sellers unless you buy in quantity and have a tester to hand.

what's up dat tubes compared with 5998 tung sol?

That's an interesting question that I don't feel qualified to answer, perhaps someone will tell us. I was, and still am skeptical that breaking up and recombining the signal can improve the sound other than by removing noise which is the main benefit. I does however introduce a further level of processing analogous to having different speaker drivers instead of just one, there are people on both sides of the fence. Suffice it to say I wanted to maximise my listening pleasure over headphones and this was the way to do it, until further developments come along. I don't however see the point of a balanced output without balanced inputs thats too far down the line to give any benefit. Also one reason that Woo have not done this is it would near double the price.

I think the only difference between unblanced and balanced cables are the noise, even told dat Donald from DNA, he was Transducer engineer in Boston Acoustic, even dat is my conclusion when i tried with RCA output and XLR output from my Anedio D2, and about the woo audio, i think that they need put 2 couple of transformer more and the amp will be really heavy, i this know cuz Donald told me that he need put a couple of transformer if he must build the DNA stratus with balanced input.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,496 of 2,724
Yes. Not specifically a LD matter but I take it that the fact that the LD provides a balanced signal out results in better bass performance and more realistic soundstage. What I have difficulty understanding is why does this occur, as far as I can see it is just down to the purity of the signal, and bass and soundstage are the elements most likely to benefit, but now we have asynchronous DAC's with galvanic isolation then that should be sufficient without balanced per se. I'm not sure we need to go down the balanced route unless we have difficult cabling requirements, are we all being taken in?

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,497 of 2,724
With the Woo WA22 you have to use the balanced inputs in order for the amp to reach full power if you needed it. There has been a lot talk about this in other threads. It all depends on the amp design.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,498 of 2,724

I have some all copper radiator NOS 6AS7 tubes with beautiful art work on them. Have not used them yet.   

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,499 of 2,724
  Yes. Not specifically a LD matter but I take it that the fact that the LD provides a balanced signal out results in better bass performance and more realistic soundstage. What I have difficulty understanding is why does this occur, as far as I can see it is just down to the purity of the signal, and bass and soundstage are the elements most likely to benefit, but now we have asynchronous DAC's with galvanic isolation then that should be sufficient without balanced per se. I'm not sure we need to go down the balanced route unless we have difficult cabling requirements, are we all being taken in?

sincerely i don't have another benefit that reduce drastically buzz sound with the balanced interconnection, well maybe can be for the difference of Vrms between balanced and unbalanced output sometime happen when the difference between the outputs is much.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,500 of 2,724

That's not ghetto to me!
that's pimping it up visually and more eye candy
:)

By the way, those black transformer covers,
Can anyone tell me the dimensions and if they are solid or thin and if they are removable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back