Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 1, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #1,321 of 2,724
I know there is a price difference but how is the little dot mk viii compare to liquid glass.  How good is the little dot compare to other tube rolling amp.  I just worry about it being chinese manufacture and all.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,322 of 2,724
  I know there is a price difference but how is the little dot mk viii compare to liquid glass.  How good is the little dot compare to other tube rolling amp.  I just worry about it being chinese manufacture and all.

I have heard liquid glass and it is a great hybrid amp and the SQ is close to the LD. If I have the money liquid glass would be a bit easier to repair and does not use fans.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #1,324 of 2,724

MK8 is not a tube rolling amp, you won't find any power tube replacement to play with, so all you can play with are the driver tube. If you are into that game, the Mk6+ probably is more fun, you get to play with 6080 and 6SL7 (6H9C, 5691, VT229, 6N9S, 6SU7 and ECC35, and a few more if you go for adapter) which easily cost you a lot more then the amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/410326/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,325 of 2,724
Does anyone know where I can buy the 6sn7 or 6sl7 tube extenders so I could use my cv-181 on my little dot . I have not tried but other people said that their base is too big for the little dot driver tube openings . I have a first version of the MKVI+ .
Please send me a link if possible.
Thanks in advance

I bought mine from Tube Monger for the exact same reason.  http://www.tubemonger.com/OCTAL_NOVIB_Socket_Saver_Vibration_Red_GE_OMRON_p/novib-octal%20ge-omron.htm

Or his eBay auction:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/OCTAL-SOCKET-SAVER-NOVIB-NOS-GE-USA-OMRON-JAPAN-Vib-Red-Base-NOT-Made-in-China-/160879655126?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item25752cb8d6

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,326 of 2,724
T
Thank u so much for the info, you know I tried the tubes on their own , and they make contact, seem snugged but not sure I should use like that. Did u try without the extender at all?

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,327 of 2,724
T
Thank u so much for the info, you know I tried the tubes on their own , and they make contact, seem snugged but not sure I should use like that. Did u try without the extender at all?

I did.  They do make contact, and they did work.  I only ran them for about 10 minutes though.  I think the pins only go about halfway into the socket.  I'm probably overreacting, but I'd just prefer they make full contact.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,328 of 2,724
My MK4 SE has developed a buzzing from left channel. Any thoughts? It starts after a few mins of use or if desktop is even slightly knocked (like putting coffee down!). I'm thinking I'll have to bite the bullet and take it in to be looked at?

Also, I know someone mentioned the chances of blowing speakers when using LD's as a pre-amp. Anyone with thoughts on that?

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,329 of 2,724
It's only a problem if you have a direct coupled power amp in which case a faulty tube iin the preamp could cause problems such as you mention.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,330 of 2,724
Joining the club thanks to @dizzyorange ! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,331 of 2,724
Sep 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,332 of 2,724
  Awesome! How does the T1 pair with the LD?
Are you planning on recabling to balanced?

I have already recabled the T1s. Running balanced really helps open up the soundstage. 
My previous amp is Bottlehead S.E.X. which is single ended, so I can't really tell if the benefit comes from balancing or the amp change. One thing I noticed is that male voice on the MKVI seems to have become smoother. Overall it definitely sounds better to a certain degree, which I can't confidently tell yet. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,333 of 2,724
  I have already recabled the T1s. Running balanced really helps open up the soundstage. 
My previous amp is Bottlehead S.E.X. which is single ended, so I can't really tell if the benefit comes from balancing or the amp change. One thing I noticed is that male voice on the MKVI seems to have become smoother. Overall it definitely sounds better to a certain degree, which I can't confidently tell yet. 

Oh okay! I am a bit interested in T1 but atm it's a no-go for me as I don't want it recabled.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #1,334 of 2,724
U can just cut the plug and put a 4pin XLR connector on it. I would recommend a gold plated one. To smooth the highs a little bit. I heard the little dot with T1 in high gain sounds amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back