Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #287 of 2,724
A couple of other headfiers (can't remember who)  reported the LD was quite a bit better than the  WA22. I havent heard the BA or WA22 but the Little Dot really sound  amazing: fast, dynamic and detailed without sounding etched. The stock version is very good but you have to factor in better tubes to take it to the next level of transparancy. You will also need to replace the fans with quiet ones.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #289 of 2,724
Changing the fans is straightforward and only takes 10mn. The amp can be run without fans if where you live doesn't get too hot but for longevity sake I picked up some low speed (900RPM) 80mm ones and they are absolutely silent. The best tubes IMO are 5998/7236 (which are quite expensive) and you can use any 6SL7/6SN7 you like. I was impressed by the LD with the stock tubes but the 5998 really transformed it (less "tubey" but more transparent) and the amp is more effficient and runs a lot cooler.
Why are you asking anyway?? you have a beta and a GS-X on the way 
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #290 of 2,724
Quote:
If you come down to Melbourne, you can audition the hifiman's at Jaben. (They even have the HE-6) 
They also have the HD800 so A B testing will be possbile.
Cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne these days.

Just recently got my MK 6 back from David, (He tuned the High Gain setting to even higher!)
Currently using the LCD 2.2, but will be taking the MK 6 to Jaben to audition the HE6.

Argh, wife would kill me if i tell her i am off to melb just listen to a pair of cans! Then again, if I convince her that we are going for a weekend, my wallet will get ruined :frowning2: LOL
That said, I'd never expected the MK VI can deliver 8W of power to drive the HE6, that's partly the recent I am looking at HE500 just for the sake of only 1W is required. Looking forward to hear what you think about the MK6 driving HE6 and HE500 (if you have a chance to listen to both).

Cheers,
James

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #291 of 2,724
Quote:
O I C

Is replacing the fas easy?  What's the recommend fans to use?

What's a list of tubes that the majority of the users of this amp like?

I replaced mine with a pair of Antect fans (back in 08) with blue LED built in, pretty fancy stuff when you look at it at night. The fans also come with a speed switch so you can adjust accordingly. I would suggest Arctic fans and alike. One step further is that you can custom make a timber rack for the MK6 (and you source), and get rid of the bottom cover completely; with the rack properly made, you can use a giant 200mm+ fan sitting below the MK6, thats less than 20db of noise, which will also enable you modding the coupling CAPs of the LD6 to PIOs. This is a bit hard to achieve with stock fans as the big oil caps will touch the stock fans. 

tube wise, people report RCA 6AS7 is a good step up of the power tubes. I use RCA5691 3 mica for driver and found it goes pretty well with my HD600.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #293 of 2,724
Quote:
riginally Posted by pkjames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tube wise, people report RCA 6AS7 is a good step up of the power tubes. I use RCA5691 3 mica for driver and found it goes pretty well with my HD600.

6AS7 RCA were the tubes that David send me.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #295 of 2,724
i prefer 6AS7 but the difference with 6080 is not big
in the preamplifier section i liked the tungsol nos 6SU7GT

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #296 of 2,724
Ragazzo cattivo,

I thought you did not like tubes!!!!!!!!!!

deadhorse.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #298 of 2,724
It is indeed.

But how can you ignore a nice set of Bendix 6080's?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #299 of 2,724
Quote:
It is indeed.

But how can you ignore a nice set of Bendix 6080's?

you have reason and i was really curious about this tubes.
but when you told me relatively this bendix i sold my little-dot.
but i have a friend with several otl amps and bendix tubes
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #300 of 2,724
I am currently using the Bendix Red Bank 6080 tubes not the Chatham version you sometimes see. Since I paid decent money for the Bendix, I decided to put aside the  RCA's  for a latter time. I even have the version with slotted plate working in my VI+.  I have other sets like the rare NOS GE 6AS7's with bright bottom copper radiators. A set of 6080 Gammatron tubes perfectly printed by Heintz and Kaufman in their original boxes.  A quad set of NOS Chatham 6080 very much alike of the TS version. I have other sets and quite content at this point. I am also trying out a pair of Equator D5 studio monitors driven by my Little dot VI+.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back