Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jun 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #258 of 2,724
Quote:

Well, that's cool.  However, I can't say the same.  For me it doesn't get good until the Reference 7.  All the others, well I have defiantly heard better.

Well certainly if you get the lower end DACs you can compare them to other DACs and find better. However in general, I have found them to be stellar at their price points, and the high end to be phenomenal. My Ref1 with a MKVI+ is such a wonderful pairing. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #259 of 2,724
Quote:

Well certainly if you get the lower end DACs you can compare them to other DACs and find better. However in general, I have found them to be stellar at their price points, and the high end to be phenomenal. My Ref1 with a MKVI+ is such a wonderful pairing. 

So have you tried any tube dacs with the MKVI+?  You think it will be too tubby?

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #264 of 2,724
I got my [size=medium]RDL HR-DAC1 [/size]from a A/V company that was going out of business. It was brand new at a good price. I just happen to have a 24v DC walmart supply at home to power it. The RDL is a tad more smoother as compared to the Behringer unit.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #265 of 2,724
Quote:
The one first impression I have of audio-gd products is the huge parts count which gives me the feeling is all of that [size=11pt]necessary[/size]?

I have heard that many of these parts serve for processing the juice. But I am not an expert on electronics, so not sure about all a-g products.
Quote:
My Ref1 with a MKVI+ is such a wonderful pairing. 

+1. My Ref1 + MKVIIIse and HD800 is a wonderful combo ... recently updated with MAC 3' Reference XLR ICs and wow! I believe that I need no more upgrades.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #266 of 2,724
I did not know that XLO made XLR interconnects since the Little Dot VI+ is my first tube balanced amp. I am using the XLO digital RCA interconnect between my PC and the DAC's. Nobody makes cables like XLO which has the wires running outside of the jacket instead of inside.  

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #267 of 2,724
So have you tried any tube dacs with the MKVI+?  You think it will be too tubby?

Don't mean to butt in , bu. I read ur question and I wanted to let u know that I am
Using my MKVI with a MHDT labs Balanced Havana DAC which is tube, and the
Sound is amazing. I have tried it with my violectric v800 and my musical fidelity
M1 DAC and it sounds great with all of them.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #268 of 2,724
I just took delivery of a LD VIII SE.  Can anyone tell me if the gain on this amp is user adjustable?  Given that its designed for 300 and 600 Ohm dynamic cans it may not offer gain adjustment.

I have just started burning it in and while I'm waiting for my balanced cables to be delivered I have listened to it single ended... and it sounds great.  

I plan to do a bit of tube rolling with it and to connect my cans balanced.  My tube rolling plans are as follows:

Power Tubes:Electro Harmonix 6H30PI gold pins for a richer sound  & Sovtek 6H30PI for a harder sound

Preamp Tubes: Psvane 12AT7 ('cause I gots to know)

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #269 of 2,724
I have just taken delivery of my HD800s and balanced cables. This is the rig I have set up now is as follows:

Source: Macbook Pro running Decibel with Apple lossless files. Optical out to a Balanced DAC LITE 83.
Amp: Balanced LD MKVIIISE with Electro Harmonix Power Valves 6H30PI and PSVANE 12AT7s Driver valves
Cans: HD800s with Headphone Lounge balanced cable

This rig is delivering detail I have not heard in my recordings before, the imaging is very holographic, like I am in front of the performers. The tone is sweet with the top end harshness of the HD800s nicely tamed by the valves. I would go so far as to say that the sound is very analogue, yet there is so much detail.

The PSVANEs are also amazing... once I took out the stock Electro Harmonix driver tubes and put these in the clarity and realism took a step up! Compared to my balanced Headroom Amp, the LD has really taken the level of detail, realism and imaging to a new level.

I am totally blown away with what I am hearing with this rig... I am discovering my music collection all over again.  The LD VIIISE is performing way above my expectations, especially with the currently installed valves.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #270 of 2,724
Quote:
I have just taken delivery of my HD800s and balanced cables. This is the rig I have set up now is as follows:

Source: Macbook Pro running Decibel with Apple lossless files. Optical out to a Balanced DAC LITE 83.
Amp: Balanced LD MKVIIISE with Electro Harmonix Power Valves 6H30PI and PSVANE 12AT7s Driver valves
Cans: HD800s with Headphone Lounge balanced cable

This rig is delivering detail I have not heard in my recordings before, the imaging is very holographic, like I am in front of the performers. The tone is sweet with the top end harshness of the HD800s nicely tamed by the valves. I would go so far as to say that the sound is very analogue, yet there is so much detail.

The PSVANEs are also amazing... once I took out the stock Electro Harmonix driver tubes and put these in the clarity and realism took a step up! Compared to my balanced Headroom Amp, the LD has really taken the level of detail, realism and imaging to a new level.

I am totally blown away with what I am hearing with this rig... I am discovering my music collection all over again.  The LD VIIISE is performing way above my expectations, especially with the currently installed valves.

Amazing rig you've got going. Happy listening!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back