Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jul 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #271 of 2,725
Jul 31, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #272 of 2,725
[size=11pt]I received my Little Dot VI+ OTL fully balanced Class-A SEPP (single-ended push pull) OCL (output capacitor-less) circuit designed by Sword Yang. It uses solid state Rectification with a slow start system that involves the analog current front panel meters. The meter and output relays will kick in somewhat near the three-minute mark. The left meter will light up at power on but the right meter will be dark for a while and then very slowly light up, then the meter relay will kick in and only then will the analog needles move and very shortly after the output relay engages . The output relay is protected by a pair of fuses along with the main fuse. Since it is a push pull amp it has for each of the four power tubes an OPA445AP op-amp made by Burr-Brown for DC servo control which helps to have no DC at the output without the use of a coupling cap. It has internal switchable gain range options. The Little Dot VI+ has active cooling which is provided by a pair of 80mm computer case fans mounted on the bottom panel. I replace those fans with Enermax T.B. Silence fans with a metal Halo frame and full rubber gaskets for quiet and long life operation. Currently I am using a pair of RCA 6C8G tubes with adapters for the driver section and the stock RCA 6080 quad set for the power section. Both of my DACs are balanced and using the balanced output of the RDL to the Little Dot VI+ It is everything my previous amp was not. It is one of the more undervalued tube amps on the market. It is a very clear sounding amp, smooth and natural sounding, without the edginess in the high frequencies. It is more powerful and heavier than my previous amp. It has more stereo separation and much more holographic placement of musical instruments in the sound field. It does not have the richness of texture of my previous amp, but it is more natural and more in tune with what I hear in a live unamplified concert.[/size]

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #273 of 2,725
Quote:
I have just taken delivery of my HD800s and balanced cables. This is the rig I have set up now is as follows:

Source: Macbook Pro running Decibel with Apple lossless files. Optical out to a Balanced DAC LITE 83.
Amp: Balanced LD MKVIIISE with Electro Harmonix Power Valves 6H30PI and PSVANE 12AT7s Driver valves
Cans: HD800s with Headphone Lounge balanced cable

This rig is delivering detail I have not heard in my recordings before, the imaging is very holographic, like I am in front of the performers. The tone is sweet with the top end harshness of the HD800s nicely tamed by the valves. I would go so far as to say that the sound is very analogue, yet there is so much detail.

The PSVANEs are also amazing... once I took out the stock Electro Harmonix driver tubes and put these in the clarity and realism took a step up! Compared to my balanced Headroom Amp, the LD has really taken the level of detail, realism and imaging to a new level.

I am totally blown away with what I am hearing with this rig... I am discovering my music collection all over again.  The LD VIIISE is performing way above my expectations, especially with the currently installed valves.

Great to see this thread still going! I totally agree about the amazing detail you are experiencing as I get the same with the Mk VI+, but what really does it for me is the mid range with tubes that gives you a level of realism that really sends shivers down the spine, it's not just hearing all the detail but HEARING THE MUSIC and the emotion that goes with it! With the female voice, for example Lisa Stansfield, a favourite of mine she is alive and standing there right in front of you and you hear all the intonation, breath and so on. Also my HiFiMan HE-500's give me a level of realism that is higher again than the Audio Technica ATH AD2000's that I used to have. The exciting sound signature is still there but has gone up to max. The tube sound is so smooth and liquid without harshness and again I totally agree with you.
Quote:
[size=11pt]I received my Little Dot VI+ OTL fully balanced Class-A SEPP (single-ended push pull) OCL (output capacitor-less) circuit designed by Sword Yang. It uses solid state Rectification with a slow start system that involves the analog current front panel meters. The meter and output relays will kick in somewhat near the three-minute mark. The left meter will light up at power on but the right meter will be dark for a while and then very slowly light up, then the meter relay will kick in and only then will the analog needles move and very shortly after the output relay engages . The output relay is protected by a pair of fuses along with the main fuse. Since it is a push pull amp it has for each of the four power tubes an OPA445AP op-amp made by Burr-Brown for DC servo control which helps to have no DC at the output without the use of a coupling cap. It has internal switchable gain range options. The Little Dot VI+ has active cooling which is provided by a pair of 80mm computer case fans mounted on the bottom panel. I replace those fans with Enermax T.B. Silence fans with a metal Halo frame and full rubber gaskets for quiet and long life operation. Currently I am using a pair of RCA 6C8G tubes with adapters for the driver section and the stock RCA 6080 quad set for the power section. Both of my DACs are balanced and using the balanced output of the RDL to the Little Dot VI+ It is everything my previous amp was not. It is one of the more undervalued tube amps on the market. It is a very clear sounding amp, smooth and natural sounding, without the edginess in the high frequencies. It is more powerful and heavier than my previous amp. It has more stereo separation and much more holographic placement of musical instruments in the sound field. It does not have the richness of texture of my previous amp, but it is more natural and more in tune with what I hear in a live unamplified concert.[/size]

Finally I agree with you as well that the amp is smooth and natural sounding. It is not overly tubey but is pleasantly analogue sounding. The tubey sound can be varied of course depending on your preferences and I like the RCA's too for that rich sound. That is why I love tubes because although you get the detail you  also get the musicality and realism of a concert performance. Listening to drums and cymbals every sound, reverberation and decay is present which heightens the listening enjoyment and the base of the HiFiMans is strong but balanced and detailed too. Electric guitars, particularly the stratocaster are stunning and then there is the voice........

Keep up the good work!

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #274 of 2,725
Congratulations John, this is a great amp.
Have you tried your Bendix yet?

Which is the amp you are comparing it to? 

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #275 of 2,725
I have not tried my Bendix set yet. I am comparing it with the Glenn amp. The Little Dot VI+ is not my first Little Dot amp. The Glenn amp is better than my previous Little Dot but the VI+ takes the cake and is far better than my reference amp, Melos SHA gold.  It is easy to hear more channel separation and voices have more of a 3rd dimension sound quality, just sounds much more natural. I am happier with the Little Dot. I can use all the previous driver and power tubes that I was using with the Glenn amp except for the rectifier tubes of course. With the Little Dot I am using the 6C8G tubes for the first time and it is working very well and latter I may try the 6F8G tubes. Briefly I tried some of the 6SN7 tubes and those tubes worked much better in the Little Dot amp and even better than some of the 6SL7 tubes that the amp was originally designed with. I just fell not as much of a need to tube roll with the VI+. What I am doing now is DAC’s rolling. One of my balanced DAC’s right channel blew out while I was checking out different sampling rates. I am trying the balanced outputs of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 card in my computer for the first time rather than using the outboard DAC’s. The custom desktop computer that I built is designed with audio in mind. It is made to be very quiet with high performance CPU and uses a fan less graphic card in a special custom sound proof computer case. For power I am using the Seasonic X series power supply for the system. I just received the TRS to XLR cables today. I briefly lost one of the inverted balanced signals but got it back. I am now setting up the trim levels as we speak.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #277 of 2,725
Hi guys, I have a LD mk 6, paired with hd600. Recently want to upgrade the can to Hifiman he500. As the 500 requires lot zf power I just wonder if the MK6 will be able to handle it well? Would I be able to get a significant upgrade in SQ?

James

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #278 of 2,725
The MK6 sounds great with the HE-500 and HE-6. Strangely, I never enjoyed the HD650 through the MK6+. That's the only headphone I tried that didn't sounded right to my ear with the MK6. That's maybe why LD designed the MKVIII for higher z cans. Although, I was surprised to find the T1 paired well with the MK6...
confused.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #279 of 2,725
Quote:
Hi guys, I have a LD mk 6, paired with hd600. Recently want to upgrade the can to Hifiman he500. As the 500 requires lot zf power I just wonder if the MK6 will be able to handle it well? Would I be able to get a significant upgrade in SQ?
James

you have a gain selector in the amplifier.
try

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #280 of 2,725
[size=11pt][size=11pt]I just  converted my Fischer Audio FA-002W headphone woodies into balanced mode with a 4 pin XLR plug and the results are spectacular. I had a bit of trouble with a loose strand on the cable in spite of me pre tinned the wires and check with meter.  The synergy I have with the XDA-1, Little Dot VI+ and the balanced Fischer Audio FA-002W headphone is the best I have heard in decades. There is a dynamic lifeness I now hear with the headphones. My RDL DAC unit quit on me and just brought the Emotiva XDA-1 at closeout at the manufacture and it just works well with the Little Dot VI+ better than my previous two balanced DACs. [/size][/size]

[size=11pt][size=11pt]I brought three pairs of 7F7 tubes with round plates with adapters since it sounds better than the 6SL7 tube that I was using. I also brought a pair of Sylvania 14F7 which are [size=small]very rugged [/size]built to use with Glenn voltage doublers.[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]The Bendix tubes have finally stabilized and currently working quite fine in the amp. [/size][/size]

[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt]The HE-500 headphones has higher efficiency than HE-6 so I do not think it will be a issue using it with the Little Dot VI+[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #281 of 2,725
Thanks for your input guys. I was initially considering to upgrade the mk 6 to mk 8 and get a hd800 in the future but thinking if I can just get the he500 and keep the mk6 to achieve nice result then I may as well save myself a fortune. The only problem for living downunder is we don't even have a proper Hifiman reseller to audit the can!

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #282 of 2,725
Quote:
Thanks for your input guys. I was initially considering to upgrade the mk 6 to mk 8 and get a hd800 in the future but thinking if I can just get the he500 and keep the mk6 to achieve nice result then I may as well save myself a fortune. The only problem for living downunder is we don't even have a proper Hifiman reseller to audit the can!

If you come down to Melbourne, you can audition the hifiman's at Jaben. (They even have the HE-6) 
They also have the HD800 so A B testing will be possbile.
Cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne these days.

Just recently got my MK 6 back from David, (He tuned the High Gain setting to even higher!)
Currently using the LCD 2.2, but will be taking the MK 6 to Jaben to audition the HE6.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #285 of 2,725
Powering the HE-6 is cool and all thanks for that.  I don't want it for that.  I want it for really good SQ that's on par or beyond the WA22

I have an HE-6 rig already.

What's some SQ impressions that you guys may have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back