Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
May 31, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,448 of 2,724
I have a question re: using LD as a pre amp, as you could see in the manual there is this sort of dicalimer:

"The Little Dot MK VIII SE is not to be used with a DC or direct coupled power amplifier. It is designed
to be used with “pure” power amplifiers and not integrated amplifiers as otherwise the total gain will
too high.

The pre-amplification signal in the Little Dot MK VIII SE includes both the driver and power tubes for better
compatibility with power amplifiers with low input impedance (for example, transistor-based power amps)."

Now how could one tell if an amp is dc coupled or not? I am interested in purchasing a pair of these power amp

https://www.reddragonaudio.com/products/m500-mkii

I have already sent an inquiry and have received a reply stating there would be no problem with the pairing, but they did not confirm if the power amp is dc coupled or not.

also in the m500-mkii is is stated:

"Red Dragon Audio designed the M500MkII with customer feedback at the forefront of the process. Our new design incorporates the most requested features from clients including our latest input section. This custom Input Buffer Section offers flexible input options, remote control functionality and a high input impedance. Increased Input Impedance allows our amps to be paired with all preamplifiers - even the most esoteric tube preamps."

Is it really safe?
Can anyone with the technical know how please advise. TIA

Follow up on this, can anyone provide some info

May 31, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #2,450 of 2,724
By the way, is there some people who have compared Tung Sol 6SU7GTY, against Shuguang Treasure CV181 ?
Yes I have both them right now,
the Tung sol is really excellent and a top tube as it will give a slightly more dynamic presentation.
The Treasure is also really nice too yet a tad soft , delicate and smoother.

up on this, can anyone provide some info
Not sure whats to worry about.
It certainly looks ok, as they are sayin any tube amp,
and I doubt your mk6 /mk8 meters would even budge with a high impedance load.

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #2,451 of 2,724
Yes I have both them right now,
the Tung sol is really excellent and a top tube as it will give a slightly more dynamic presentation.
The Treasure is also really nice too yet a tad soft , delicate and smoother.

Thank you for thoses infomations ! Well ok the treasure go my wishlist.
By the way I find tge 6su7gty really good, dynamique, detailed, 3D positiong really impress me. And remain smooth afer all.

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #2,452 of 2,724
Hello,

Anyone have test the 5998A, specially the sylvania kind ? Well I didn't find any reports of the A version in this thread

Moreover about to noch tubes : any one tried Sylvania vs Tung Sol 7236 ?

Regards,

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,455 of 2,724
My little Dot Mk8 SE, suddenly shows imbalance on the meters reading? 40 on the Left 60 on the Right is it a problem? what might be the cause of it?
Maybe try swapping all tubes from left to right channel and see if the problem follows the tubes.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #2,456 of 2,724
Maybe try swapping all tubes from left to right channel and see if the problem follows the tubes.

Did swapped and still the same. I let it rest then fired it up again when I woke up earlier this morning its back to normal, may be its a heat issue?, I will test it on again later and leave it on for some time and see if the problem reoccurs.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,458 of 2,724
Hi, all.

I've managed to find a good deal on a Little Dot Mk. VIII to replace a Schiit Asgard II but I'm worried that it's going to run too hot since it's class A.

I'm in a pretty small room (8ft by 7ft) and my Asgard gets to the point where it's literally too painful to touch and needs to be turned off for an hour or so the room can cool down. Will this still be the case with the Little Dot VIII?

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,459 of 2,724
Hi, all.

I've managed to find a good deal on a Little Dot Mk. VIII to replace a Schiit Asgard II but I'm worried that it's going to run too hot since it's class A.

I'm in a pretty small room (8ft by 7ft) and my Asgard gets to the point where it's literally too painful to touch and needs to be turned off for an hour or so the room can cool down. Will this still be the case with the Little Dot VIII?
Hey Milez.

I'm the proud owner of both a Little Dot Mk. III and Mk. VI+, so I would imagine the Mk. VIII would fall somewhere in between. As with any tube amplifier, the actual tubes get hot to the touch (last time I measured, they were about 140°F). However, the smaller tubes of the Mk. III make it run significantly cooler than the big-tubed Mk. VI+. Additionally, the transformer is also warm (think: electric blanket temperature), but not as hot as the tubes. The transformer on the Mk. VI+ is a bit warmer, but still not uncomfortable to touch.

In my estimation, the Mk. VIII will keep your small room nice 'n warm in the winter, but will not overheat, even if left on 24x7. I've never had either amp come anywhere near thermal shutdown, or cook you out of your room.

- Dave

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,460 of 2,724
Hey Milez.

I'm the proud owner of both a Little Dot Mk. III and Mk. VI+, so I would imagine the Mk. VIII would fall somewhere in between. As with any tube amplifier, the actual tubes get hot to the touch (last time I measured, they were about 140°F). However, the smaller tubes of the Mk. III make it run significantly cooler than the big-tubed Mk. VI+. Additionally, the transformer is also warm (think: electric blanket temperature), but not as hot as the tubes. The transformer on the Mk. VI+ is a bit warmer, but still not uncomfortable to touch.

In my estimation, the Mk. VIII will keep your small room nice 'n warm in the winter, but will not overheat, even if left on 24x7. I've never had either amp come anywhere near thermal shutdown, or cook you out of your room.

- Dave

Thanks for the reply, Dave. That matches up with what the seller has just told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back