Little Dot MK III or Darkvoice 336 or Corda Arietta for Prog-Metal with DT880 ?
Feb 1, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #17 of 31
In regards to the comments about the LDII+ not having enough headroom to do dynamic passages it really depends on what you're comparing it to. The LDII+ was a $150 amp (I would know because I bought one), whereas the other two amps mentioned were two and three times the LDII+'s price. I think it would make more sense to compare the MkIV to the Cayin as they are in the same price range, and I would venture that the MkIV with the right tubes would compare favorably to the Cayin anyday with any music.

Besides, all these talk about the LDII+ is quite unnecessary since there has already been three more generation of amps that's come out since the LDII+. There has been significant chances and advances made in the circuit design since.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question : is it possible to improve the bass of the Little Dot MKIII by changing the tubes ?

Thanks

Yes. Some tubes will enhance the bass area. The stock tubes, once the unit is burned in, will exhibit plenty of bass though. You may find that it is unnecessary to change them right away.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #20 of 31
MkIII isnt bass deficient with stock tubes. Tubes like Mullard just make the bass more prominent by warming up the sound.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 31
Has anyone ever tryed the MKIII with some beyer's DT990 ?

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for your comments.

I have finally decided to go with the Little Dot MKIII and I will also purchase the Mullard Tubes.

Cheers

TIP: Stay clear of the power tube upgrade to a 5687 tube. They are not compatible with MK2, Mk3,Mk4 though some tube vendors are passing them as. I nearly got sucked in! Till Penchum saved the day.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TIP: Stay clear of the power tube upgrade to a 5687 tube. They are not compatible with MK2, Mk3,Mk4 though some tube vendors are passing them as. I nearly got sucked in! Till Penchum saved the day.

Thanks for the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #25 of 31
I'm buying a tube amp soon so this thread really interests me. I'm also very interested in either the MKIII or the 336. I'm more interested in the 336 right now because it looks so much better. Yes looks count too!! But I'd like to hear from anyone who has experienced both amps since I won't have a chance to hear them (unless I buy both which unfortunately is not going to happen).

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 31
I have both and they are equally excellent. The DV is a bit richer sounding (liquidy mids) while the MKIII is smooth and yet detailed with HD650s. You honestly can't go wrong with either!

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a MKIII for sale in the FS forums, just in case you want to get one. It is in perfect shape and comes with Mullard EF92's and the stock tubes. I heard that you can't actually buy one from the manufacturer on eBay right now because he is on vacation.

Thanks for the "Buyer Beware" link in your sig. I'm reading through it right now. OMG!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back