Little Dot II++ versus Mk series for newbies
Nov 30, 2007 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there a concensus amongst Little Dot users as to whether or not the Mk series are a definite improvement over the II+/++? I've always been suspicious of the Mk series since a lot of resource and effort has obviously been put into making the case look fancier that I wonder if they're still as good value as the proven workhorse LDII++. When newbies ask for amp suggestions the LDII++ doesn't come up as often as it used to even though it can be bought now for significantly cheaper than the Mk series amps and I personally think that the LDII++ sounds great.
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a concensus amongst Little Dot users as to whether or not the Mk series are a definite improvement over the II+/++? I've always been suspicious of the Mk series since a lot of resource and effort has obviously been put into making the case look fancier that I wonder if they're still as good value as the proven workhorse LDII++. When newbies ask for amp suggestions the LDII++ doesn't come up as often as it used to even though it can be bought now for significantly cheaper than the Mk series amps and I personally think that the LDII++ sounds great.
cool.gif

So far, after reading responses from MKIII owners and MKIV and MKIVse owners, I'd have to say the MKIII is the perfect replacement for the LDII++. What many owners were not prepared for was the longer burn-in time. Once that is achieved, they all seem to love them! The MKIV and se are a whole different level of quality and performance. The great thing is ALL the new models are an excellent value and their performance is outstanding.

I too like my LDII++ due to its unique sound. Thats why I'm keeping mine! It compliments my Stereo setups here in my home office and when I get the urge, I plug-in and start to grin!!
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the smaller foot print of the LDII++ might factor into the decision as well for those looking to build an office rig.

That would be a definite factor. While the MKIII is a far more accurate (and revealing) amp, the sheer musicality of the LD series is mostly un-rivaled in that footprint. The lack of detail is far overshadowed by the seductiveness of it's sound. I think Penchums words were on the mark:
"I too like my LDII++ due to its unique sound. Thats why I'm keeping mine! It compliments my Stereo setups here in my home office and when I get the urge, I plug-in and start to grin!!"

The amps are two distinct creatures.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back