Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #1,351 of 3,154
Remove the 2107 and make sure all pins are line up and straight. Check the notch or mark on the op-amp lines up with the mark on the socket. Otherwise you could put the original Op-amp back in.

May 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #1,356 of 3,154
Quote:
Just tried again, plugged in my MS2 and they killed the right channel...

what a day :/

Sorry to hear about that mate, very unfortunate indeed.

Thanks for sharing your misfortune though, it makes for a timely reminder that one should always check new/second hand/ modded gear before plugging ones' premium cans to it.

I have a cheap nasty pair of headphones that I got as a gift from a supplier, I always use it as a Guinea Pig before plugging my Grados.

May 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,357 of 3,154
Quote:

Sorry to hear about that mate, very unfortunate indeed.

Thanks for sharing your misfortune though, it makes for a timely reminder that one should always check new/second hand/ modded gear before plugging ones' premium cans to it.

I have a cheap nasty pair of headphones that I got as a gift from a supplier, I always use it as a Guinea Pig before plugging my Grados.

Yeah, lesson has been well and truly learnt! haha. When I tried it again I used some $20 skullcandy's :p If there was any luck it was that it was my MS2 which I purchased new, my other phones have been 2nd hand so would be far harder to get repaired.

In future I'll stick to modding tubes only I think... I have owend a LD I+ before and changed the opamp no problem, this time wasn't so kind.

May 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,358 of 3,154
Total bummer.  I've not heard of anyone else having a similar issue with the I+ and swapping opamps, so seems to be just a really unfortunate event.

Quote:

Yeah, lesson has been well and truly learnt! haha. When I tried it again I used some $20 skullcandy's :p If there was any luck it was that it was my MS2 which I purchased new, my other phones have been 2nd hand so would be far harder to get repaired.

In future I'll stick to modding tubes only I think... I have owend a LD I+ before and changed the opamp no problem, this time wasn't so kind.

May 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #1,359 of 3,154
I had bad tubes in the past that was howling and almost blew out my headphones. If you have changed op-amps in the past I believe the risk would be low. There is a risk of static electricity as well.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,360 of 3,154
wow, thank goodness that didn't happen to my can's when I changed my op-amps

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #1,361 of 3,154
Just ordered this amp and I am unbelievably pumped for it to arrive. I got the stock kit, but I'm thinking of rolling with the Ef91's and Opa2107. I am curious though, does anyone else here use Magnums? That's what I'm planning on using for this amp, and as we all know, the sound on those headphones is a pretty different beast compared to Grados. Have you Magnum users found a really successful tube/opamp pairing for these headphones that deviates from what's already been found for Grados?

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #1,362 of 3,154
Magnums sound great with the LD. Check out the OP-amp and tubes I use. The opamp honestly does not offer that much improvement over stock, but I mean, it can never hurt, ya know! Ha, what type of wood are your magnums in? What music do you tend to listen to? I can attest that the tubes I'm using are some of the more highly regarded ones, but I only ever used a generic type of EF92's which I purchased directly from LD as an upgrade. Enjoy man, you may not realize how much the LD adds to the sound of your magnum until you take away the LD, than you realize all the reverb and bass response the amp added. It's really sweet. ha.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #1,363 of 3,154
The new BBNG sounds perfect with the LD! Jazz accompanies tube amps beautifully. Sort of made for one another...really..

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,364 of 3,154
Hmm. EF95's. I'll definitely look into that. Right now I'm using some v4's in Macassar Ebony cups. I'm building my final pair sometime next month and those will be in Cocobolo. Also, I'd say I listen to just about everything (I'm somewhat of a music nerd), but I tend to sway more towards the acoustic side of the spectrum (rock, jazz as opposed to electronic and hip-hop) when it's just for pleasure and not "discovery." Oh yeah and BBNG rules! I'm almost reconsidering going on this vacation next week so I can just listen to this amp 
biggrin.gif
Quote:
The new BBNG sounds perfect with the LD! Jazz accompanies tube amps beautifully. Sort of made for one another...really..

Quote:
Magnums sound great with the LD. Check out the OP-amp and tubes I use. The opamp honestly does not offer that much improvement over stock, but I mean, it can never hurt, ya know! Ha, what type of wood are your magnums in? What music do you tend to listen to? I can attest that the tubes I'm using are some of the more highly regarded ones, but I only ever used a generic type of EF92's which I purchased directly from LD as an upgrade. Enjoy man, you may not realize how much the LD adds to the sound of your magnum until you take away the LD, than you realize all the reverb and bass response the amp added. It's really sweet. ha.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,365 of 3,154
lemme know how you like your LD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back