Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 29, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,321 of 3,154
an anyone please help out a newbie

[size=x-large][size=10pt]I've recently purchased from ebay a  Little Dot Mk1+  with EF92 and 408A tubes[/size][/size]

Question is do they share the same jumper settings and what would it be - didn't get a manual and can't seem to find one on the web.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,322 of 3,154

Quote:
an anyone please help out a newbie

[size=x-large][size=10pt]I've recently purchased from ebay a  Little Dot Mk1+  with EF92 and 408A tubes[/size][/size]

Question is do they share the same jumper settings and what would it be - didn't get a manual and can't seem to find one on the web.

Actually I found this info on the little dot site.

But one question is what gain setting 3.5x or 7x for my 32ohm Grados ?

Thanks in advance

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,325 of 3,154
Usually when it comes to gain you want to use the lowest setting that gives you the volume you want.  Start with the lowest gain then raise it if the volume isn't loud enough or you have to crank the volume all the way up.

With that said you can always try both and decide what sounds best to you.     

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,326 of 3,154

Quote:
I settled on some early 60s Voskhod 6J1Ps and the OPA2107AP. The opamp didn't add anything, but it took away some low level noise. The Voskhods are hardcore, very well made mil-spec tubes. They had to be, they were used in missiles that would have been used to bomb us.
smily_headphones1.gif
Soundwise, they're tight and controlled with excellent texture and not overly "warm". I prefer them over Mullards or anything else I've tried.

I meant to ask you, do you use those tubes and opamp with your 701's?  You have a few headphones listed in your sig.  I want to make sure you tried the 701's with the LD I+ using the stock tubes and opamp as well as the Voskhod tubes and 2107 opamp.  I am considering ordering both since they are so cheap.  

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,327 of 3,154
I meant to ask you, do you use those tubes and opamp with your 701's?  You have a few headphones listed in your sig.  I want to make sure you tried the 701's with the LD I+ using the stock tubes and opamp as well as the Voskhod tubes and 2107 opamp.  I am considering ordering both since they are so cheap.  

Yes, I did. It still sounded very good, the swaps simply made it better.

On a side note, if you want a grittier more textured sound, set the gain on High. It will introduce a very small amount of background fuzz, but it's actually kind of interesting and fun.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,330 of 3,154

Quote:
Yes, in fact that's the seller I bought them from.

These tubes had always been sold in plain military boxes from the '80. These particular ones are from the '60 and have export civilian boxes. I wonder do they have black plates inside or grey? Do they sound different than the ones from the '80 (those have grey plates)? The '80s ones have accentuated mids as no other and are very crisp and detailed when compared to most tubes.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,331 of 3,154
Hey all...just got my LDI+ today...I'm thoroughly impressed with the build quality, and so far with just the stock tubes things are sounding pretty good...actually REALLY good considering the price tag and excellent customer service. I have some Telefunken tubes arriving tomorrow or Saturday, so those will be first up for rolling. Looking forward to reading back through this thread to find more great ideas that you guys have posted about. I got this specifically for my bedroom Grado system, and I think it's going to be a great little rig.

I will definitely buy from David again, though...this is impressive value.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,332 of 3,154
These tubes had always been sold in plain military boxes from the '80. These particular ones are from the '60 and have export civilian boxes. I wonder do they have black plates inside or grey? Do they sound different than the ones from the '80 (those have grey plates)? The '80s ones have accentuated mids as no other and are very crisp and detailed when compared to most tubes.

They have black plates. I actually prefer the 60s Voskhods; they have wonderful detailed highs and powerful sub-bass. They have a better sound texture overall, IMO.

Hey all...just got my LDI+ today...I'm thoroughly impressed with the build quality, and so far with just the stock tubes things are sounding pretty good...actually REALLY good considering the price tag and excellent customer service. I have some Telefunken tubes arriving tomorrow or Saturday, so those will be first up for rolling. Looking forward to reading back through this thread to find more great ideas that you guys have posted about. I got this specifically for my bedroom Grado system, and I think it's going to be a great little rig.

I will definitely buy from David again, though...this is impressive value.

No kidding. Built like a brick, isn't it? The weight of it surprised me, relative to its size.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #1,333 of 3,154
Such a beautiful device.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,335 of 3,154
I just received my Litte Dot i+ this evening. It is stock, as far as I know, and I assume the gain is in the stock "low" setting. I am going to pull it apart tomorrow and verify that. Anyway, I connected it to my Oppo BDP-80 and AKG Q701s. I only listened for a few minutes. It does sound very good. The only thing that took me by suprise is that I have to turn the volume up past halfway to get decent volume. In fact I was able to turn it all the way up and it was loud but not extremely loud. Does that sound about right for the LD i+ and the 701's?

I am going to check on the gain setting tomorrow. If it is on low I will try the high setting to see if that helps with the volume. Don't get me wrong. It is loud enough at the highest setting but I didn't think I would be able to listen with it set that high without it being painful. 

BTW, I did receive the new opamp but I have no intentions of changing the opamp or the tubes until I give the stock setup a fair listen to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back