Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,306 of 3,154
not worth my time it sounds like

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,309 of 3,154
I mean I don't really feel like I need anything else, especially when I have a spankin new pair of cans in da mail

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,310 of 3,154
So, I bought this LD I+ for my dad's birthday, but I ended up keeping it for myself and ordering another one for him. :D Amazing little amp, especially with the OPA2107 and Voskhod 6J1Ps. Its super-low noise floor and rich harmonics are unreal for an amp in this price range. I was mentioning in another thread, the LD I+/Rastapants combo is almost narcotic.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,311 of 3,154
I've only ever used with Grado's, and well my new magnums, what are the rastapants?

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,312 of 3,154
I've only ever used with Grado's, and well my new magnums, what are the rastapants?

http://www.head-fi.org/a/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links-wiki

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,313 of 3,154
Good god. that's crazy. Do you know where the name derives from?

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #1,314 of 3,154
I bought a LD i+ of off Ebay last week.  I should be receiving it this week.  It supposedly has only been used twice and is completely stock. 

I am up to page 27 of this thread.  I have a few questions that I hope I get some answers to by the time I finish reading the entire thread. 

I am going to be using the amp with AKG Q701's and HD280's.  I will be mainly using the q701's. 

What tubes and op amp combo would you recommend for the Q701's?  I don't want to spend a lot if I don't have to but if there is a combo that is worth the extra money then I will consider it.  I mainly listen to rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, etc)  I know the 701's aren't known for bass so tubes and a op amp than can help in that department might be a good idea.   

What do you guys think? 

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,315 of 3,154

Quote:
I bought a LD i+ of off Ebay last week.  I should be receiving it this week.  It supposedly has only been used twice and is completely stock. 

I am up to page 27 of this thread.  I have a few questions that I hope I get some answers to by the time I finish reading the entire thread. 

I am going to be using the amp with AKG Q701's and HD280's.  I will be mainly using the q701's. 

What tubes and op amp combo would you recommend for the Q701's?  I don't want to spend a lot if I don't have to but if there is a combo that is worth the extra money then I will consider it.  I mainly listen to rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, etc)  I know the 701's aren't known for bass so tubes and a op amp than can help in that department might be a good idea.   

What do you guys think? 

You won't get more bass than with Mullard CV4010. I have LD MKII and used them as driver tubes but were too bassy with Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm. I think I tried all tubes, tube rolling gives more sq change than opamp rolling that is waste of time and money rather. I just stay away from Burr Brown opams cause they have no highs and are slow and muddy though most people prefer them over anything else. MC33078 is a very good neutral crisp opamp, LM5962 is same type but better if the amp was constucted with LM in mind. AD (Analog Devices) are usually similar to BB OPA

... But on the other hand EF95 tubes may be total mismatch with q701 and may destroy the soundstage allthough giving you that bass, my q701 sounded bad with MK II and ef95 (I did not try with other tubes), they lost the airyness and soundstage, and why have q701 if not for soundstage and air, bettter buy different headphones. If this is the case you may try also mullard but EF92 the ones of military spec, M8161 or so, they are natural with solid bass but without that warmth and fullness of ef95 (CV4010 being an extreme case) that may mess up AKG sound. Most neutral sounding ef95 are American GE JAN, those given as stock with MK III, very well balanced between soundstage and detail, tung-sol are more towards soundstage, RCA JAN towards detail, Russian Voshod have forwarded mids. All EF91 have little bass.  

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,316 of 3,154
I plan on sticking with the stock setup for awhile.  I broke in the Q701's for about a 100 hours already.  I will break in the LD i+ for @50 hours before I give it a serious listen.  Once I've had a chance to listen to a few hours of my favorite music I will post my impressions.  At that point I should be able to narrow down what tubes and opamps I should consider. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,317 of 3,154
I finished reading this entire thread but I didn't find an exact answer of what is universally considered to be the best overall tubes or opamp.  I didn't think I would but I was hoping to narrow it down based on different headphones being used.  It seems that trying different tubes and opamps is really the only way to figure out what works best for each person.  I don't want to spend a ton of money on tubes and opamps though.  I'll keep reading other threads and hopefully narrow down what should work best with the AKG Q701's. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,318 of 3,154
I settled on some early 60s Voskhod 6J1Ps and the OPA2107AP. The opamp didn't add anything, but it took away some low level noise. The Voskhods are hardcore, very well made mil-spec tubes. They had to be, they were used in missiles that would have been used to bomb us. :) Soundwise, they're tight and controlled with excellent texture and not overly "warm". I prefer them over Mullards or anything else I've tried.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,320 of 3,154
Yes, in fact that's the seller I bought them from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back