Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,336 of 3,154
I would say that you need to change the gain setting. Typically you'd want to listen between 9 and 12. If you can turn it all the way up and it not be too loud then I would increase the gain. Did you notice any clipping when you turned it all the way up?

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,338 of 3,154
The rule of thumb is to using the lowest gain that gives you the volume that you are comfortable with. High gain will give you more volume but not better sound. Don't know about how you like to listen but medium is about as loud as I go.  

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,340 of 3,154

Quote:
So, I bought this LD I+ for my dad's birthday, but I ended up keeping it for myself and ordering another one for him.
biggrin.gif
Amazing little amp, especially with the OPA2107 and Voskhod 6J1Ps. Its super-low noise floor and rich harmonics are unreal for an amp in this price range. I was mentioning in another thread, the LD I+/Rastapants combo is almost narcotic.

OPA2107 was just purchased by yours truly. I have some Voshod's too, am jazzed to see what the combination sounds like. Although the effect of my LD on my magnums is less noticeable then my old grados,

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,341 of 3,154
I tried the high gain setting and the volume is much louder. At @50-60% it is right around the perfect volume. I am going to leave it at the high gain setting.

On another note I am hearing some distortion in the left channel. It is minor but it sounds like a slightly blown driver. I am going to contact AKG to see if they will replace them under warranty. I've only had them for about two weeks and all I did was leave them playing at low volume for a week or so. I noticed that same distortion using my computers sound card and I assumed the distortion was caused by the soundcard. Unfortunately there appears to be a defect in my 701's. Hopefully AKG is easy to deal with. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,342 of 3,154
To all Little Dot I+ users.

Does it make sense to buy it if I already have Little Dot MK II and also a few :) transistor headphone amplifiers? Does it sound more like transistor or like tube?

Andy

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,343 of 3,154
Last night I hooked up my T1s to the I+ and was surprised to see that the LD drove them quite well. I ended up at around 1-2 o'clock on the volume, but it sounded great. I can't get over this amp costing a buck-o-nine.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,344 of 3,154

Quote:
Last night I hooked up my T1s to the I+ and was surprised to see that the LD drove them quite well. I ended up at around 1-2 o'clock on the volume, but it sounded great. I can't get over this amp costing a buck-o-nine.

Which amps do you normally use for T1? And at what position do u leave the volume knob?
Andy

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,345 of 3,154

Quote:
Which amps do you normally use for T1? And at what position do u leave the volume knob?
Andy

I specifically bought the Meier Jazz for my Beyer cans....so I use the Jazz in high gain setting for the T1s. Typically the Jazz is at about 10-11.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,347 of 3,154

Quote:
Is it better than Beyerdynamic A1 amp? Is it as neutral/bright? I avoid dark sound like Lehmann's.

I honestly don't have enough time on them yet to speak to the differences. I am using the same source for both amps, and both are essentially solid state with a tube buffer stage (I have a tube buffer on the meier signal path). Initial impressions are that the Meier amp has more complete control of the T1s, but with my Grado 325s it's more of a draw. I don't plan to use the LD for driving the T1s on a regular basis, I was just curious how well it could do the job. I'd probably move to another LD amp to do that. I don't think I'd characterize the sound on either amp as dark, though.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,348 of 3,154
I'd just like to say the D2K & Little Dot 1+ combo is amazing. I felt the Denon's had a lot of clarity but was missing something on the lower end, and the LD1+ fills up that absence. 

There's probably several answers in this thread, but can anyone recommend some next tubes to get to go with Denons?

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,349 of 3,154

Quote:
I'd just like to say the D2K & Little Dot 1+ combo is amazing. I felt the Denon's had a lot of clarity but was missing something on the lower end, and the LD1+ fills up that absence. 

There's probably several answers in this thread, but can anyone recommend some next tubes to get to go with Denons?

If you want to ask an expert about that, send an email to Brendan at Tubeworld.com  He's re-tubed hundreds of Little Dot amps and knows them like the back of his hand. If you ask him for some suggestions, he'll send you an email back in no time with a few different price points. I've been taking his recommendations for the last five or six years and he's always provided excellent advice and service. Great choice of amp, by the way....the LD 1+ is just a ridiculous value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back