Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jul 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,366 of 3,154
I picked up a used LD I+ today, locally.  Still has the stock tubes and stock op-amp chip.  However, I plugged my Squeezebox (Burr-Brown DAC) into the amp and used my HifiMAN HE-400s with it.  The sound was excellent!   I don't have much of a hybrid amp background to compare it to, but I did have the HifiMAN EF-2A for a few months.  However, I fed it a signal from an iPod, which I realize now wasn't good at all.  I would have loved to hear the EF-2A with the Squeezebox.  However, I now need to lift the cover and check the position of the gain.  I'm running it at about 10 O'clock and the volume seems at a good level for me.

More to follow as I read through this thread a bit more and look into some op-amp options.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,367 of 3,154
Quote:
I picked up a used LD I+ today, locally.  Still has the stock tubes and stock op-amp chip.  However, I plugged my Squeezebox (Burr-Brown DAC) into the amp and used my HifiMAN HE-400s with it.  The sound was excellent!   I don't have much of a hybrid amp background to compare it to, but I did have the HifiMAN EF-2A for a few months.  However, I fed it a signal from an iPod, which I realize now wasn't good at all.  I would have loved to hear the EF-2A with the Squeezebox.  However, I now need to lift the cover and check the position of the gain.  I'm running it at about 10 O'clock and the volume seems at a good level for me.

More to follow as I read through this thread a bit more and look into some op-amp options.

Nice...sounds like a great pairing! 

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,368 of 3,154
Marts, My LDI+ was doing something similar. It would cut the right channel and no matter what I plugged them into it wouldn't come back.

UNTIL, I decided to get desperate and plug them into my iPhone, my case prevented me from plugging them in all the way and I got a faint little buzz, and then all of a sudden the right channel came back, I don't know if that could work for yours, but apparently my iPhone is magic.

I'd also like to add that this has only happened twice, and both times the amp was on for longer than 12 hours straight, so that could have also been a cause, don't know about your case.

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #1,369 of 3,154
yeah you should not leave your amp on for that long at all. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,370 of 3,154
the LD, IMHO and limited opinion, seems to be one of the best bargains in the audiophile world. just a humble opinion of yours truly. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #1,371 of 3,154
Quote:
the LD, IMHO and limited opinion, seems to be one of the best bargains in the audiophile world. just a humble opinion of yours truly. 

When I saw the build quality I was getting for such a cheap price, I was pretty floored. For budget audio, it's a no-brainer...especially for those who want to play around with tubes. All I did was upgrade to some $50 Telefunkens and my LD amp sounds fantastic. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #1,374 of 3,154
Quote:

Quote:
When I saw the build quality I was getting for such a cheap price, I was pretty floored. For budget audio, it's a no-brainer...especially for those who want to play around with tubes. All I did was upgrade to some $50 Telefunkens and my LD amp sounds fantastic. 

I hear ya!!!  I have had both of mine for several years and love 'em with low impedance cans.  Three families of tubes, op-amp rolling, price, customer service etc......

Winner indeed..

Cheers

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,375 of 3,154
your reviews and respect for it really motivated me to get it lol. indirectly of course, through what you said on the forums. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,377 of 3,154
Quote:

I hear ya!!!  I have had both of mine for several years and love 'em with low impedance cans.  Three families of tubes, op-amp rolling, price, customer service etc......

Winner indeed..

Cheers

Yep, the customer service is fantastic. David is available via email and extrememly helpful throughout the entire process. I will definitley buy from him again...no question. 

I'm really glad to know that yours are still up and running strong after several years...that doesn't surprise me in the least, though, given the quality of parts he uses. The thing is built like a tank!  I can't believe he doesn't charge more than what he does....but I'm glad he doesn't lol. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #1,378 of 3,154
Quote:
Yep, the customer service is fantastic. David is available via email and extrememly helpful throughout the entire process. I will definitley buy from him again...no question. 

I'm really glad to know that yours are still up and running strong after several years...that doesn't surprise me in the least, though, given the quality of parts he uses. The thing is built like a tank!  I can't believe he doesn't charge more than what he does....but I'm glad he doesn't lol. 

David is the man indeed Focker.  Excellent support!!!

Some pics through the years of my LD I+ getting some love.  Good times!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back