Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jul 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,381 of 3,154
Quote:
Love seeing those beautiful RS-1s sitting next to the LD 

The I+ loves the Grados indeed Focker...Thanks...

Quote:

If I were to choose 2 from that list, I would go with #1 & #3 (EF92 & Tung Sol 6AK5W).  Both excellent tubes.  I also like the M8100 and that would be choice #3.

Oops, sorry just saw your phones and can't comment because I don't own them.  However, those tubes are a great fit for various phones.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,382 of 3,154
even if you guys haven't heard the phones i'd like to hear your recommendations anyway. These tubes all seem to get good reviews so i'm just interested in knowing sonic differences between them for the most part

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,383 of 3,154
Quote:

Yep, the customer service is fantastic. David is available via email and extrememly helpful throughout the entire process. I will definitley buy from him again...no question. 

I'm really glad to know that yours are still up and running strong after several years...that doesn't surprise me in the least, though, given the quality of parts he uses. The thing is built like a tank!  I can't believe he doesn't charge more than what he does....but I'm glad he doesn't lol. 

I like to think it's that he's actually pricing the device fairly in relation to the cost of acquiring the parts (in China, probably in bulk too) and putting the device together (labour costs). A lot of people get uber excited about a PMP device using a 'Wolfson' DAC and will pay a lot for it, however the DAC only costs like $3.

However some manufacturers know they can get away with pricing their products with a massive profit margin, and so they do. Not that the end products aren't decent, but it's a nice treat when you come across a company with a great quality to price ratio like Little Dot devices.

Also, I agree, the build quality is amazing on the I+. I've had it for years and can see it providing many more years of reliable service.

@Heatfan:
How comes no love for the Voshkod-6ZH1P-EV? I thought they were meant to be one of the best tubes for the I+? Although as you said, the cans being used should be taken into account.

Quote:
even if you guys haven't heard the phones i'd like to hear your recommendations anyway. These tubes all seem to get good reviews so i'm just interested in knowing sonic differences between them for the most part

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

great thread for researching little dot + tube combinations and reviews

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #1,385 of 3,154
^haha, awesome, good to know. What is it about EF91/92 which is preferable to the EF95s? Or is it to do with your particular music tastes and cans? I've only got the Vs and the stock tubes, so they are the obvious choice for me.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,387 of 3,154
@ analogue 3- more of a preference thing. I notice the EF 91/92 family has lots of air and imaging and soundstage is wide, while retaining tightness in bass.
Through the years, I got more into experiencing with different varieties within the families. For EF95 I like CV850, 6096CT, 403A. EF91 & EF92-various 6AM6, CV138, 6CQ6, CV131, M8161 etc. and for the 408A, I a couple nice 6028s as well.
I have found some nice little gems for this amp indeed.

@RAZR- enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #1,388 of 3,154
Quote:

I have finally gotten around to trying out my Little Dot i+.  I want to swap in the tubes I got off ebay listed above.  I am confused about what settings I need to change from the stock tubes.  It appears I don't have to change anyting since the tubes appear to be 6J1Ps.  Is that correct I am totally misunderstanding???

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #1,389 of 3,154
Quote:

David is the man indeed Focker.  Excellent support!!!

Some pics through the years of my LD I+ getting some love.  Good times!!!!!

Hey mate. Which tubes are these that you are/were using? They look pretty nice. I want to find some tubes that glow pretty bright (just for the looks 
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,390 of 3,154
Quote:
I have finally gotten around to trying out my Little Dot i+.  I want to swap in the tubes I got off ebay listed above.  I am confused about what settings I need to change from the stock tubes.  It appears I don't have to change anyting since the tubes appear to be 6J1Ps.  Is that correct I am totally misunderstanding???

If your I+ came stock with the 6J1 (EF95 family) then you do not have to change the settings.  You can use EF95, 6AK5, 5654, 6Zv1P, CV850, 6096, CV4010 (M8100), 403A etc. with that setting.

Cheers!

Quote:
Hey mate. Which tubes are these that you are/were using? They look pretty nice. I want to find some tubes that glow pretty bright (just for the looks 
biggrin.gif
)

Well, that was some months ago, but I would guess those are Sylvania Gold 408As.

Cheers!

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,392 of 3,154
Quote:
hey i got some 408as - you have to change the settings to use those right? if so how hard is it?

Yes, you must change settings between the three different families (EF95 and all variants- 6AK5, M8100 etc.) & (EF91 & EF92 etc.) & (408A & 6028).

It is not difficult, but I purchased my I+ when it first came out and I believe the jumper settings might have changed with newer batches.  I have the manual that I received years ago for mine.  If you want to take a look at it to see if it's the same, PM me your email and I'll send it.  Or you can email David and find out if there were any setting changes.

This is from the manual that I received.  Again, confirm there were no changes from your amp

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,393 of 3,154
i just checked the manual that i got - they're the same - i'm going to try the 408a tubes tomorrow - now one thing that it doesn't seem to be clear on is how exactly to open this thing up - can you walk me through it?

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,395 of 3,154
well i just read this thread looking at op amps - it seems like the 2107 and 1364 are the most liked? would the 2134, 627, 2228 or lme 49720 be better? what are the differences between the sounds? a lot of the posts were about each specific opamps sound but not much as far as comparison between them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back