Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Apr 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,861 of 3,154
I think it's going to be a problem if you used a wooden type of box for the LD 1 IMO the Chassis for the LD 1 is part of the Heat sink.So i think i'm going to use a 1000 LBS. Aluminum Block and carve the LD inside it.
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,863 of 3,154
Transfered LD 1 inside these Chassis.

The chassis is made out of recycled aluminum and wood the volume knob is recycled from old amp ,I can't decide if i need to paint it or just polish/sand the aluminum.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #1,867 of 3,154
I was here a couple of months back looking to pair this amp with my Q701. The general consensus was that they didn't pair well. I left.

Now I'm back again and I've added the HD 650 to my armoury. How does the amp pair with the HD 650? If it can be made to work what valves would I need?

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #1,868 of 3,154
   I've changed the volume knob for LD 1 with a bigger knob and now it's very easy to adjust the volume where i want it or should i say  the POT is more accurate.

It would be great to see a picture, and if you could tell us the size and where we could buy one like it (as I think you simply recycled a knob from another amp?) that would be even better! :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,869 of 3,154

It would be great to see a picture, and if you could tell us the size and where we could buy one like it (as I think you simply recycled a knob from another amp?) that would be even better! :)

Hi gibosi,
    The knob was just recycled/pulled out from another amp and it is 48mm in diamiter and it's for D type Pot. shaft i simply break off the tab from the knob and push it in the LD Pot shaft just keep on pushing it in slowly until it seat on the LD shaft take your time doing this or you can used a drill and a drill bit to inlarge the shaft hole from the knob.IMO it is very easy to find the point where you want the volume level with this knob.Back then with the stock knob one slight turn and it's already loud with the big knob i need to turn the knob a bit further up to get the volume. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,870 of 3,154
  Hi gibosi,
    The knob was just recycled/pulled out from another amp and it is 48mm in diamiter and it's for D type Pot. shaft i simply break off the tab from the knob and push it in the LD Pot shaft just keep on pushing it in slowly until it seat on the LD shaft take your time doing this or you can used a drill and a drill bit to inlarge the shaft hole from the knob.IMO it is very easy to find the point where you want the volume level with this knob.Back then with the stock knob one slight turn and it's already loud with the big knob i need to turn the knob a bit further up to get the volume. 

It looks great! However, I had forgotten that you have stuffed your LD into a larger case. I don't think we can use a replacement knob this big. The front panel of the LD 1+ is only about 40mm tall, so I would have to put the amp up on stilts to use 48mm. lol :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,871 of 3,154

It looks great! However, I had forgotten that you have stuffed your LD into a larger case. I don't think we can use a replacement knob this big. The front panel of the LD 1+ is only about 40mm tall, so I would have to put the amp up on stilts to use 48mm. lol :)

Another thing to consider is your LD 1 pot shaft it could be too tight that is why it's a bit hard to control the volume i noticed this with my amp before i transplanted it to the bigger chassis.try to loosen the shaft nut and see if it changes.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,872 of 3,154
My first tube amp is on the way. The LD I+ seems great from all that I've read about it. The real test will be to listen to it, but that's going to take a few weeks before it arrives. Hopefully it plays nice with the low impedance NAD HP50 and a HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC.
And I'm already preparing for opamp and tube rolling! For opamps: LT1364 and MUSES02 are ordered.
For tubes, so far: GE 6HM5. Also thinking about Mullard M8161 or Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, but so expensive.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,873 of 3,154
While the Mullard is often expensive, the Voskhods are not:

I bought two pair from this vendor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130436695928&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

$3 / pair, plus $12 shipping to the US. Incidentally, buying "matched" driver tubes for any of the LD's would be a huge waste of money.

Note: 6ZH1P-EV = 6J1P-EV. And what is important is the "EV" which signifies the highest quality Russian tubes.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,874 of 3,154
  While the Mullard is often expensive, the Voskhods are not:

I bought two pair from this vendor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130436695928&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

$3 / pair, plus $12 shipping to the US. Incidentally, buying "matched" driver tubes for any of the LD's would be a huge waste of money.

Note: 6ZH1P-EV = 6J1P-EV. And what is important is the "EV" which signifies the highest quality Russian tubes.

In the hours spent reading the LD tube rolling threads I missed this :)
Thanks a lot!

May 1, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #1,875 of 3,154
  Went through briefly the thread.  I have Grado RS1.  Used to have MAD EAR but considering Little Dot 1+ for the RS1.
It seems the recommended opamps are: op2107 and LT1364cn8
Recommend Tubes: Mullard M8161 and Mullard ef91

Which is best?

thanks

I see that the M8161 is part of the EF92 Family of tubes.

I see now that the EF92: M8161 with op2107 is probably the best followed by Mullard CV131

What is the sound characteristic of  OpAmp  LT1364CN8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back