Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 2, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,551 of 3,154
Yes, those tubes are compatible with the LD I+ if that's what you're asking.

Awesome, thanks. That is 40% of my question.
If you know, would those tubes require me to change any settings on the amp to use them, and do you know if they're good tubes.
Sorry if these are redundant questions, I'm super new to tube rolling.
Thanks in advance!

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2,552 of 3,154
Awesome, thanks. That is 40% of my question.
If you know, would those tubes require me to change any settings on the amp to use them, and do you know if they're good tubes.
Sorry if these are redundant questions, I'm super new to tube rolling.
Thanks in advance!

LOL, let's see if we can raise that percentage a bit more :wink:

I honestly don't remember the settings for each kind of tubes but it's all in the manual so even if you don't have it we should be able to help you. If anything needs to be changed it's just to remove or add one of the plastic jumpers inside, very easy.

They're quite highly regarded but personally I find the top warm and syrup like, so probably only you can answer this question.

Hope this help.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #2,553 of 3,154
Thank you so much for all your help!

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,554 of 3,154
  The Muses are probably the most popular and I hear lots of great things, but I love trying out really exotic products and discrete op amps like Burson, Sparko, DEXA, etc. are supposedly the best available, a few people shoehorned Burson's but I didn't see posts about anyone trying Sparko or others like that and speaking of op amps, My Sparko Labs op amp just got handed to me, though my amp won't get here for another week or two.

Be sure to give us your impression about the Sparko! I'm curious. 
  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, especially considering the auction ends in less than a day.
Thanks in advance

This link would be helpful to you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

The 6J1 belongs to the EF95 tube family. In the future, if you see any tube that has marking belongs to one of those mentioned (6ak5, 5654, 6ZH1P-EV), you can rest assured that it will be compatible with your I+. Like peter said, the tube in the ebay link you posted are compatible.

If you read the I+'s manual, you'd also see that it's compatible with EF92 and WE408A tubes as well. However, at the current state of your amp, you'd have to remove/add some jumper on the amp's board for it to accommodate EF92 and WE408A. In my case I've decided to stick with the EF95 settings, since it's already got a lot of tubes that're easy to buy.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2,555 of 3,154
Thanks! I discovered the tube rolling guide and many other resources shortly after posting and found that the tubes I got were at a fairly reasonable price and were very highly rated, and so I pulled the trigger and got them (I think it's a set of 4) for the equlivalent of  $11USD.

Anyhow, thanks again to everyone who helped, hopefully these will sound a lot better than the tubes I currently have.
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,556 of 3,154
Congrats on your purchase. My Mullards (CV4010) gave the most bass out of all the tubes I own.

Btw, does anyone around here feel like opamp upgrade will make your I+ less tube-like? I'm under the impression that after I switch to the MUSE 8820 the difference when changing tubes doesn't feel as much as before.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,557 of 3,154
Thanks!
I now have another question if any of you wonderful people care to help.
So the person I purchased from was very courteous and quick and he sent me a bit of information about the tubes but I don't know what it means.

He told me the following:

​

9.: 10,9 mA
28.: 10,8 mA

Where 7,5 mA = 100% (cond.: Uh=6,3V; Ug1=-2,00V; Ug2=Up=125V).
0,1 mA = less than 1% balance.​

Tubes are perfect matched and strong.​

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,558 of 3,154
  Thanks!
I now have another question if any of you wonderful people care to help.
So the person I purchased from was very courteous and quick and he sent me a bit of information about the tubes but I don't know what it means.

He told me the following:

​

9.: 10,9 mA
28.: 10,8 mA

Where 7,5 mA = 100% (cond.: Uh=6,3V; Ug1=-2,00V; Ug2=Up=125V).
0,1 mA = less than 1% balance.​

Tubes are perfect matched and strong.​

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean?

Thanks in advance!

He was trying to tell you that the tubes are matched? Which practically means nothing on the I+, anyway. Just make sure you set the right gain for your tube and enjoy the music.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,559 of 3,154
Awesome!
Thanks again for all your help!

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #2,560 of 3,154
I have a quick question for everyone here, I was looking at some mullard tubes and this seller has them for $10 each http://www.ebay.com/itm/5654-6AK5-6096-CV4010-TUBE-/160510520465?.  They don't have mullard branding on them, anyone have experience with them?

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #2,561 of 3,154
  I have a quick question for everyone here, I was looking at some mullard tubes and this seller has them for $10 each http://www.ebay.com/itm/5654-6AK5-6096-CV4010-TUBE-/160510520465?.  They don't have mullard branding on them, anyone have experience with them?

Thanks.

I don't have any experience with this seller, but it's not the first time I've seen tubes without maker branding. Even the "CV4010" branding on the tubes will fade after some time.

Honestly I can only hope that the tube/opamp seller that I'm buying from is honest, and the seller rating is the only way to know that.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,562 of 3,154
Hi there, thanks for all your amazing info in this thread! I used it to help create my headphone listening system for music production, mixing and mastering, and listening. 

I went with (from my Macbook Pro): Schiit Modi 2 --> Little Dot I+ --> AKGK712

I spend a lot of hours making house music on my studio system and wanted to hear the lower ranges better at nighttime so I don't have to use my monitors and blast my kids awake, but also for a more detailed mixing and mastering process. Headphones allow detail you'll miss on monitors and so bouncing between monitors and headphones is really important. Then to earbuds and the car stereo to be sure everything's balanced for the "other people" :wink:

My big question is obviously TUBES! I read the stock tubes are not optimal especially int he low end and these AKGs are beasts in the lower end. When I bought the I+ I ordered a pair of these: General Electric (GE) 5654 / 5654W / 6AK5 / 6AK5W Electron Vacuum Tube I read they were a fairly priced swap that's kind of a no brainer, but I want to go deeper!

Can anyone recommend your favorite bass oriented tubes? I'm listening for both low mid-bass as well as sub bass, and need to hear the two distinctly. My Equator monitors are amazing for this, but they're seriously flat and accurate and for late night music writing, I want warm drippy syrupy lushness. Bang for your buck would be hugely appreciated ... if there's a set for $14 that's 80% of the best set for $60 I;d love to know about those.

I know you guys know your stuff so hit me with the real talk.

Secondarily, if you have an OPAMP swap to recommend as well, I'd love to hear about that as well.

Lastly (sorry) is there a "family" of tubes I should focus on?

Music I produce: Deep House
Music I listen to: EDM, Jazz, Funk, Hip Hop, Soul, R&B, Ambient, Psychedelic Rock, Disco, Classical

Thank you in advance!

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #2,564 of 3,154
Mar 8, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,565 of 3,154
  Hi there, thanks for all your amazing info in this thread! I used it to help create my headphone listening system for music production, mixing and mastering, and listening. 

I went with (from my Macbook Pro): Schiit Modi 2 --> Little Dot I+ --> AKGK712

I spend a lot of hours making house music on my studio system and wanted to hear the lower ranges better at nighttime so I don't have to use my monitors and blast my kids awake, but also for a more detailed mixing and mastering process. Headphones allow detail you'll miss on monitors and so bouncing between monitors and headphones is really important. Then to earbuds and the car stereo to be sure everything's balanced for the "other people" :wink:

My big question is obviously TUBES! I read the stock tubes are not optimal especially int he low end and these AKGs are beasts in the lower end. When I bought the I+ I ordered a pair of these: General Electric (GE) 5654 / 5654W / 6AK5 / 6AK5W Electron Vacuum Tube I read they were a fairly priced swap that's kind of a no brainer, but I want to go deeper!

Can anyone recommend your favorite bass oriented tubes? I'm listening for both low mid-bass as well as sub bass, and need to hear the two distinctly. My Equator monitors are amazing for this, but they're seriously flat and accurate and for late night music writing, I want warm drippy syrupy lushness. Bang for your buck would be hugely appreciated ... if there's a set for $14 that's 80% of the best set for $60 I;d love to know about those.

I know you guys know your stuff so hit me with the real talk.

Secondarily, if you have an OPAMP swap to recommend as well, I'd love to hear about that as well.

Lastly (sorry) is there a "family" of tubes I should focus on?

Music I produce: Deep House
Music I listen to: EDM, Jazz, Funk, Hip Hop, Soul, R&B, Ambient, Psychedelic Rock, Disco, Classical

Thank you in advance!

The GE 5654, I believe, is better for electric guitar-centric music.

If you want better bass, go for the OPA2107 and the Mullards CV4010. In terms of bass that's the best combo I've ever tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back