Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 1, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #2,536 of 3,154
I just ordered a Little Dot 1+ with upgrade valvo 6CQ6 tubes and also ordered a Sparko Labs dual op amp.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #2,537 of 3,154
  Thanks for the answer anw. I just plugged the 8820 and honestly I can't see the difference between them two. Perhaps it's gonna take a lot of time to see the difference since plugging these in and out take quite sometime.

Yeah I agree on that. I typically use one op amp (or tubes for that matter) for a couple of days so that I get use to the way it sounds and then change. For me it's much more easy to spot the differences this way but YMMV......

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #2,538 of 3,154
  I just ordered a Little Dot 1+ with upgrade valvo 6CQ6 tubes and also ordered a Sparko Labs dual op amp.

Personally I'd buy the 6JI version since all stock tubes are not that great. You'd have to replace them to reach the I+'s full potential.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,539 of 3,154
  Personally I'd buy the 6JI version since all stock tubes are not that great. You'd have to replace them to reach the I+'s full potential.

I've heard the valvo 6CQ6 (Mullard) are actually pretty good, just a bit microphonic and not quite as good as the mil-spec nos Mullard CV4014 which are considered one of the best tubes available for the Little Dot along with the ever popular Voskhod rockets.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,540 of 3,154

I've heard the valvo 6CQ6 (Mullard) are actually pretty good, just a bit microphonic and not quite as good as the mil-spec nos Mullard CV4014 which are considered one of the best tubes available for the Little Dot along with the ever popular Voskhod rockets.

I don't have the CV4014 but currently rocking the CV4010 and they blow the 6CQ6 out of the water. Unfortunately my 6CQ6s (which came with the amp) died a long time ago after I moved house (they just stopped working) so I can't do an A-B comparison between them and any other tubes I own, but I do remember that those Valvo sounded nothing special, and the bass was a bit bloated. Could have been burn-in, but honestly I'd rather spend my money on the 6hm5 rather than spend extra for the 6CQ6 options.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,541 of 3,154
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,542 of 3,154
  One question I have is my GE JAN has started to give scratching noises similar to when you turn the volume switch on cheap amps. Does this mean they're going to die?

It is very hard to say.... But in my experience, that sound is typical of a poor cathode connection. So I would recommend that you mechanically clean the pins and see if it helps.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #2,543 of 3,154
  I don't have the CV4014 but currently rocking the CV4010 and they blow the 6CQ6 out of the water. Unfortunately my 6CQ6s (which came with the amp) died a long time ago after I moved house (they just stopped working) so I can't do an A-B comparison between them and any other tubes I own, but I do remember that those Valvo sounded nothing special, and the bass was a bit bloated. Could have been burn-in, but honestly I'd rather spend my money on the 6hm5 rather than spend extra for the 6CQ6 options.

I actually just today ordered a pair of CV4014 to have something to compare to the stock tubes. Eventually I'll start a collection of tubes to see what best matches with the Sparko op amps that are coming too.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #2,544 of 3,154

I actually just today ordered a pair of CV4014 to have something to compare to the stock tubes. Eventually I'll start a collection of tubes to see what best matches with the Sparko op amps that are coming too.

Oh and do tell how much you like the Sparko. I'm very happy with the MUSES I'm having, but once you're in the rolling game... Well.

It is very hard to say.... But in my experience, that sound is typical of a poor cathode connection. So I would recommend that you mechanically clean the pins and see if it helps.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try today. Can I use medical alcohol to clean the pins?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,545 of 3,154
  Oh and do tell how much you like the Sparko. I'm very happy with the MUSES I'm having, but once you're in the rolling game... Well.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try today. Can I use medical alcohol to clean the pins?

I recommend that you clean them mechanically first. You might try sand paper or scraping the pins with a dull knife. And then alcohol.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #2,547 of 3,154
Hi guys, I've never tube-rolled before as the Little Dot i+ is my first tube amp.
My question is, would these tubes work with my amp, sound good, and would I have to change the settings?
My amp came with 6J1 tubes originally.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,548 of 3,154

The Muses are probably the most popular and I hear lots of great things, but I love trying out really exotic products and discrete op amps like Burson, Sparko, DEXA, etc. are supposedly the best available, a few people shoehorned Burson's but I didn't see posts about anyone trying Sparko or others like that and speaking of op amps, My Sparko Labs op amp just got handed to me, though my amp won't get here for another week or two.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,549 of 3,154
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, especially considering the auction ends in less than a day.
Thanks in advance

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,550 of 3,154
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, especially considering the auction ends in less than a day.
Thanks in advance

Yes, those tubes are compatible with the LD I+ if that's what you're asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back