Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 8, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,566 of 3,154

Thanks, so something liek this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8100-CV4010-5654-MULLARD-MATCHED-PAIR-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-SQUARE-GETTER-/262251888979?hash=item3d0f6e4153:g:DRAAAOSwuYVWoKly

Where does one go about procuring the OPA2107? Is installation difficult?

Thanks for the guidance.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,567 of 3,154
I like the lm4562 across the board more than the 2107, for me it has a lot more clarity still with good bass. They're like a dollar each though so just buy both.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #2,568 of 3,154

Thanks, so something liek this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8100-CV4010-5654-MULLARD-MATCHED-PAIR-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-SQUARE-GETTER-/262251888979?hash=item3d0f6e4153:g:DRAAAOSwuYVWoKly

Where does one go about procuring the OPA2107? Is installation difficult?

Thanks for the guidance.

It seems the tube is valid.

Now on the opamp, yes it is easy, especially if you have long nails (just a bit longer that your teacher'd like).

Look at the picture below, it's not quite the same board as mine but very similar. You just use your nail (or something similar), start with either the left side or the right side, left > right > left > right... until it comes out. Because of the yellow thingy (sorry I don't know what it is), it will be quite difficult trying to grab the opamp from both sides and pluck it out.

When installing, on the empty opamp slot, you'd see a small circle shape (which may or may not be a complete circle, doesn't matter). Notice that any opamp also has that circle, as you can see in the picture. Make sure that when you install the new one, the circle on the slot and the circle on the opamp are BOTH on the same half of the rectangle. Which means if the slot has the circle shape on the left then the opamp should have its circle on the left side when you install, too.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #2,569 of 3,154
I like the lm4562 across the board more than the 2107, for me it has a lot more clarity still with good bass. They're like a dollar each though so just buy both.

I haven't tried the lm4562 but I can say the MUSES 8820 and 8920 are both huge steps up from the 2107 from clarity, but the bass is not as pronounced. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,571 of 3,154
eBay, the ones that have the most sold are reliable. Get a chip puller too. It's only a dollar and saves you a headache.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,572 of 3,154
I went with a US seller here in NYS, China ones look shady, hard to believe that it's authentic for $1. There's no branding and tons of warnings all over the web. Seemed to make sense to get the BB from someone with more credibility, especially since it looks like BB and TI merged so these are essentially not made anymore. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPA2107-Difet-OpAmp-No-China-material-OPA2107AP-/172120465157?

Now to find some nice bass heavy tubes to go with this :wink:

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2,573 of 3,154
Just procured the Burson V5-OPA-D to install in my Little dot +1. Just waiting for the extender to arrive so I can install it as it won't fit in the case when put directly into the socket. Got great hopes for this opamp, I will report back soon.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,574 of 3,154
  I went with a US seller here in NYS, China ones look shady, hard to believe that it's authentic for $1. There's no branding and tons of warnings all over the web. Seemed to make sense to get the BB from someone with more credibility, especially since it looks like BB and TI merged so these are essentially not made anymore. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPA2107-Difet-OpAmp-No-China-material-OPA2107AP-/172120465157?

Now to find some nice bass heavy tubes to go with this :wink:

Now that this has come to mind, my 2107 could definitely be fake 
frown.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,576 of 3,154
I have the Sparko op amp (supposedly more clarity but a bit less bass than the Burson v5) but I'm trying to get used to the sound at stock before I install them. Also waiting for my Mullard CV4014 tubes first.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #2,577 of 3,154
I'm bugging out with the Modi 2 > I+ > K712s. I thought my Equator monitors were accurate, I'm hearing so many things in songs I didn't even know were there. Thos Orb Album on vinyl through this rig is unreal. It's like watching a movie through your ears. https://www.discogs.com/Orb-Pomme-Fritz/master/7272

So far the GE 5654's I got sounds pretty great. I'd love a low end that's a bit tighter and wider though. Mainly just because the music I listen to tends to be driven by the low ends. And for mastering purposes I need to hear my subs, I layer sub frequencies under my basslines and I do a lot of work on music at night when the fam is in la la sleepy land.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #2,578 of 3,154
I did some price comparisons and my gut instincts tell me that anything less than about $12 and it's likely fake. That seems to be the going rate for these via US distributers. That's just my gut though and it's entirely anecdotal.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,579 of 3,154
  What did that set you back and do you have any pics on what it will look like? That thing's a tower! Also, curious, so far what have you treid that's been your favorite OPamp for tight big bass?

I'm at work so I'll post the pic later. I bought 2 opamps and they cost me less than 10 SGD, shipped to Singapore. Actually even though it might be fake I think it's worth it, as in comparison to the stock one my 2107 did improve the amount of bass and open the soundstage a lot. However treb still sounds a little rolled off, which I recognized even before I moved to my 8820 right now. I've only had the 2107, 8820 and the 8920, and the latter two doesn't come close to the 2107. 

I'm bugging out with the Modi 2 > I+ > K712s. I thought my Equator monitors were accurate, I'm hearing so many things in songs I didn't even know were there. Thos Orb Album on vinyl through this rig is unreal. It's like watching a movie through your ears. https://www.discogs.com/Orb-Pomme-Fritz/master/7272

So far the GE 5654's I got sounds pretty great. I'd love a low end that's a bit tighter and wider though. Mainly just because the music I listen to tends to be driven by the low ends. And for mastering purposes I need to hear my subs, I layer sub frequencies under my basslines and I do a lot of work on music at night when the fam is in la la sleepy land.

You got me excited! I'm having a Modi 2 pending this afternoon. Totally happy with my ODAC I+ combo right now but it's been a long time since I heard something new.

Anyway I have a GE JAN 5654W and I think its bass is actually very lean. For me, this kind of tightly controlled bass serve better on acoustic and Metal. Do try the Mullards if you have the chance, its bass is not only richer but also very natural, perhaps the most euphoric "tube-like" sound I've ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back