Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 28, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #2,521 of 3,154
This amplifier is too good and I bought it again after one year. First tubes Z77, very good, excellent with Grados
I miss the gain switch.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #2,522 of 3,154
  I questioned buying a DAC myself since 99% of the music I listen to is through Amazon Music.  On the high quality setting, it's supposed to stream at 256kbps.  Through my headphone jack on my laptop, I could hear hiss/cracks that I didn't really care about, but when I decided to buy a cheapy DAC/Amp (Micca Origen), all those cleared up and things just sounded clearer.  Now, going from my cheapy to another high end DAC or amp, I don't know that it'd be worth it for me, but going from headphone jack to external DAC definitely was.

I also like you, when changing OPAmps and tubes on my LD, didn't notice a big difference.  Mostly more controlled bass on my X2, but on my 400i, I noticed more bass and fuller sound overall since they aren't as efficient as the X2.  Was the difference mind blowing?   Not at all.  Like you said, changing cans makes the most difference.

Both the lyr 2 and ld1+ are hybrids and sound no different than solid state amps to me. I just need to hear what an actual tube amp sounds like to compare(if it even sounds any different). Other than headphones sounding different, this whole dac and amp game is a joke to me.

Actually IME the effects of tubes and OPAMP depends a lot on the sound signature of the DAC and the headphones. I found the effects of tube-rolling most significant when combining the I+ with the ODAC, which is very neutral. Also, my Grado SR325is shows the tube coloration much more than my HD540 (I found the flagship HD5xx and HD6xx to be quite amp-insensitive, actually). If you compare the K701 on the I+ and on the O2, you'll really see the difference, and I for one like the tube sound better. Also, if the synergy with the opamp is not good, it certainly does impact the effects of tubes too. I can't really tell which tubes from which if the opamp is too congested or lacks too many details.

I do, however, agree with you that the difference is not that "mind blowing" and changing headphones certainly has the most effects. But switching tubes is much cheaper (the 6hm5 and the GE JAN both cost lest than a pizza for a pair) than switching headphones, and it does give you the chance to optimize your sound for a particular experience. For example, I never used my Siemens tubes for Rock n' Metal as they are very slow. On the other hand, the GE JAN tubes do sharpen up the electric guitar, tighten up the bass and they're my fav for Metal. The Siemens are only for oldies slow pop, e.g the Righteous Brother or Frank Sinatra. Once again, it does not turn the SR325is into the RS1i or the 225i, but it feels really great having 2 versions of the SR325is thanks to tubes.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #2,524 of 3,154
 Interesting my DAC D1 and UD-H01 sound different  from each other same goes for all my AMPS(see my profile for my equipment list)The best Head amp of them all is the Vintage PIONEER SX-3700.

Fwiw that's my experience as well.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #2,526 of 3,154
So I've finally got the little dot 1+ into a good state. Upon installing the muses02 I almost shed a tear. Just started laughing. This thing is now a lush soundscape in a box. I cannot even believe what it did for soundstage and sound in general. Sounds like a tube amp at last. Everything is forward. Bass is thick and textured. Seems to add an almost harmonic effect to cymbals and such. This is not the op amp for neutral/technical listening but for pure music bliss. I'm running the little dot with Ge jan5654w at the moment and He-400i. Have some mullard 8083 on the way. Can't wait to get the muses in my gustard h10. Because it needs it to match up to the little dots musicality at this point.

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #2,528 of 3,154
Has anyone tried the muses 8920? I heard it's very near to the muses02 in term of quality.

Yes, I've got both the 8920 and 8820. Ended up preferring the 8820 but I was tuning my LD to sound as good as possible with the Fidelio X2's only. Combination of source, tubes, headphones and preference will all have influence. They're both great op amps in my opinion.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2,529 of 3,154
hello

i need to get my new he400i soon.

i want to buy the little dot 1 and buy new lamps that will give more Power to Musical Instruments, Mainly hear tunes with a lot of tools.

what you suggest me?

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2,530 of 3,154
  hello

i need to get my new he400i soon.

i want to buy the little dot 1 and buy new lamps that will give more Power to Musical Instruments, Mainly hear tunes with a lot of tools.

what you suggest me?

I'd recommend listening to the amp with the stock configuration then determine if you feel you need to change the tubes/opamp.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,532 of 3,154
  thanks i need also dac...what you suggest me?

Buy the stock configuration of the I+ with WE408A tubes. Perhaps it's already good enough for you.
On the matter of DAC, I think the ODAC or the Modi will serve you well. I'm more on the side of ODAC.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,533 of 3,154
Yes, I've got both the 8920 and 8820. Ended up preferring the 8820 but I was tuning my LD to sound as good as possible with the Fidelio X2's only. Combination of source, tubes, headphones and preference will all have influence. They're both great op amps in my opinion.

Took 3 weeks and I've got the 8920 and the 8820 now. I plugged in the 8920 yesterday and it drastically change the sound on my I+. I feel like the trebles is sharper but the bass not as soupy as on the OPA2107. Definitely opened up the sound and immediately recognizable. I used to think my 6hm5 was a "soft" tube, but with the 8920 it's not as intimate as before. 

Is your 8820 more intimate or more aggressive than the 8920?

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,534 of 3,154
Took 3 weeks and I've got the 8920 and the 8820 now. I plugged in the 8920 yesterday and it drastically change the sound on my I+. I feel like the trebles is sharper but the bass not as soupy as on the OPA2107. Definitely opened up the sound and immediately recognizable. I used to think my 6hm5 was a "soft" tube, but with the 8920 it's not as intimate as before. 

Is your 8820 more intimate or more aggressive than the 8920?

Hmm, good question really can't remember tbh. As I mentioned I tuned my LD I+ to sound its best combined with the Fidelio X2 and they're quite full sounding so I'd imagine the 8820 being a bit cleaner and more relaxed.

Due to other obligations I'm afraid it'll be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to do a new a/b with the two.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help now.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #2,535 of 3,154
Hmm, good question really can't remember tbh. As I mentioned I tuned my LD I+ to sound its best combined with the Fidelio X2 and they're quite full sounding so I'd imagine the 8820 being a bit cleaner and more relaxed.

Due to other obligations I'm afraid it'll be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to do a new a/b with the two.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help now.

Thanks for the answer anw. I just plugged the 8820 and honestly I can't see the difference between them two. Perhaps it's gonna take a lot of time to see the difference since plugging these in and out take quite sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back