Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Feb 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2,161 of 3,154
 So i had a channel imbalance from my LD 1+ this morning and it annoyed me so much so that i end up replacing it with the POTENTIOMETER that came with my CRACK amp that i never install.
WOW!What a difference all of a sudden the sound opens up big soundstage everything sounds clear the clarity is almost as good as my crack amp.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,162 of 3,154
   So i had a channel imbalance from my LD 1+ this morning and it annoyed me so much so that i end up replacing it with the POTENTIOMETER that came with my CRACK amp that i never install.
WOW!What a difference all of a sudden the sound opens up big soundstage everything sounds clear the clarity is almost as good as my crack amp.

So you de-soldered the LD1+ stock volume knob and replaced it Bottlehead's?

Volume control seems to be a bottleneck for a lot of amps, so this might be a great option for those handy with a soldering iron!

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #2,163 of 3,154
Yes i desoldered mine long time ago OK i butchered my amp.Replacing the pot with a different size if you don't butcher your amp is not possible because you need a space for the newer pot usually they are bigger so with the stock case it will never fit.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,166 of 3,154
Very interesting to think about rolling the volume pot.

Not a lot of room to play with, in trying to keep the case stock.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,169 of 3,154
I have used two of the ALPS Blue one for my CRACK and for the SEX but i never check if it is possible to install it into the 1+ :frowning2:

If you need to make a front space you can in-large the front plate hole and use another plate to attach the  ALPS(Like a large washer or cut a metal plate and paint it)then use the plate attached to the ALPS to cover the front plate hole.Hopefully height is not an issue.

The POT i just installed is just temporary i'am thinking of using the ALPS or get a stepped attenuator.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #2,171 of 3,154
Little Dot is back! With two new bigger resistors and two russian Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV.

Well detailed but I miss the punch of the WE 408A.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #2,173 of 3,154
I only have my old ES integrated amp and my 2 week old LD 1+ to compare until my new Corda Jazz comes in a few days (hopefully in time for the weekend!).  Inside the LD, I've rolled the stock 6J1 to GE JAN 5654W and replaced the stock opamp to MUSES02.  Still waiting on the '73 pair and '87 pair of Voskhods and Yugo 6HM5's .  

While I could easily hear an improvement with the tube upgrade, the opamp upgrade seems more subtle.  Music sounds smoother and by that I mean there's less sharp treble when I turn up the volume.  At low volumes, I'm not missing any detail and everything just sounds clearer and cleaner than where it started.  I'm hearing texture in bass notes I haven't noticed before.  I'm also breaking in brand new 325e at the same time, so I won't claim that the improvement simply comes from the amp/tubes/opamp burning in.  Everything just sounds better than before.

I'm definitely interested in changing out the pot to an Alps Blue Velvet.  I'll need 1" of clearance and except for the red cap behind the existing pot, I'd say it would fit right in.  Hoping the pot contacts are plug and solder.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #2,174 of 3,154
Will definitely upgrade the volume knob after I get my I+ back. The guy who sold tubes to me tell me cheap volume knobs are always a problem, but as I still have warranty on my I+, I couldn't bring myself to change it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #2,175 of 3,154
 The Solder lug spacing for the ALPS Blue should be standard it should fit on the PCB pods,If you can't shift the CAP slightly to fit the ALPS you can desolder the caps then used a solid wire to extend the CAP's leg so you can move it out of the way.But make sure that the  extended legs are shrink wrap and not to touch any other parts even better if you can put a HOT GLUE to keep it in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back