Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Feb 21, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #2,181 of 3,154
Hello!
So first off all, im new to this forum, though ive been reeding it for a while now. Its a really nice forum with a lot of detailed information in it, thank you all for that :)
I am quite a big fan of good SQ in my music, i've been doing a lot of work in car audio systems, competing in car audio competitions (sound quality groups), then a year ago i got into indoor sound system world including headphone world :)
My main speaciality is sport, im an athlete and i spend a lot of time traveling. This summer i had to leave my country and fly to USA, to train there, in Detroit. Because my hunger for good quality is constantly growing (haha), i had to buy some decent pair of headphones. Did some research and decided to go with AT M50X, because of their low impedence, quite natural sound and travel capabilty. My source signal is samsung galaxy note 3, wich has not a bad DAC in it, so this set played quite good, for a month for me haha. The sound for me sounded a bit dead, sound was too mechanical, m50x by itself has kind a high mechanical highs and bigger lows, wich in my opinion were not controled that good, so overall the sound with my set was messy. I decided in need something, at least a better amp for a start. Did some reaserch and found this guy- Little Dot i+, read some good reviews for it, took some though and decided that i should give it a try.
So today i got it, set it up and started it. Though i know i should give it some time to burn, but i gave it a little soundcheck. And i was quite surprised, the sound was different. Everything got clarity, sounds became seperate, second stage sounds became more clear, lows got mass and controle (not that much of it but still got it), sound stage got wider, though the m50x as wee know are closed back, still there is quite a change in it. Then there is the treble, i was sometimes quite irritated of m50x sharp and quite too mechanic highs, the overall sound of them was unnatrual (this was one of the main reasons i went with a tube amp). And with the amp it got a lot better, maybe a little to reduced but ill let the tubes first get some burn time, then make final decisions. 
Overall, though the m50x are considered not to be in a need for an amp, i think its a good decision to pair it with a Little dot i+. I have some parts allready on the way- ne op amp (lm4562) and new tubes- voskhod 6zh1p. So later ill get a chance to compare before and after results. But right know ill listen to the Little dot with its stock parts, to get some info abot its sound.
I hope my post will be somekind helpfull to people who are looking for a nice music inprovement for less money :)

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,182 of 3,154
Hi lads. Fitting an alps blue pot is not very hard but it's not straight replacement. I had to bend the pins and solder a wires. It is a very thigh fit but i can close the case no problem. I soldered wires from behind and filed solder joints so they don't interrupt fitment of the pot. I also put a bit of insulation tape to prevent shorting the pot's solder points with pcb. Everything is very tight fit but it can be done and case closed. I also had to shorten pot's rod so the knob is not sticking to far from the amp. I cut about 8mm of it. I attached photos to show the mod.

I also did few other mods:

- replaced two 470uf 25v nichicon basic caps to Elna silmic II of the same value
- replaced two nichicon 2200uf 25V caps with Panasonic FC caps 
- swapped opamp with OPA627 (tried OPA2107, OPA2132, LT1364, LM4562, Stock and some from AD family)
- swapped stock valvo tubes with WE408A matched pair.
- RCA connectors replaced with CNC ones from USA.
- replaced the mad blue led to red one to match rest of my gear
- heat shrinks on all internal wiring to make it better looking.
- solder joints redone with 4% silver audio grade solder.

Near future mods:

- c3g Siemens tubes
- discrete opamp ( thinking of assembling one myself from kits), already made ones are mad prices.
- 100nf caps on rectifier or integrated rectifier replaced with fast recovery diodes
- 3x 100uf 200V caps (Can't find good ones to fit) any recommendations?

After ~150h of burning I'm pleased with it's performance. There is no audible hum or buzz even at highest set gain and volume on my K702.

if you have any mods on your mind please do not hesitate to share your ideas.

Photos:

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,186 of 3,154
Fwiw I took Gibosi's advice on the MUSESS02, and have zero regrets. Although I don't have heavy experience in the world of audio hifi, I could immediately tell the difference. Yes, it's more $ than others, but I would say if you can do it, you won't be disappointed. It shipped very fast, too.

Edit: sorry, on my phone and " button didn't get hit. This was in response to the earlier coversation regarding opamps.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #2,188 of 3,154
After thinking it through, perhaps I'd wait until my warranty runs out to replace the pot and the opamp on my I+. I'm going to work overseas for 6 months anyway (and my I+ is in China awaiting repair).

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #2,189 of 3,154
Fwiw I took Gibosi's advice on the MUSESS02, and have zero regrets. Although I don't have heavy experience in the world of audio hifi, I could immediately tell the difference. Yes, it's more $ than others, but I would say if you can do it, you won't be disappointed. It shipped very fast, too.

Edit: sorry, on my phone and " button didn't get hit. This was in response to the earlier coversation regarding opamps.

I've recently rolled to the Yugo 6HM5 and MUSES02 and through my 325e, things keep sounding better and better.  I do plan on swapping out the volume pot too (keeping the stock knob tho 
biggrin.gif
).

None of the changes going from the stock 6J1 and opamp to this were anything that I would describe as tremendous, but some day I'll try all stock again to see if I notice a bigger change in sound.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,190 of 3,154
  I've recently rolled to the Yugo 6HM5 and MUSES02 and through my 325e, things keep sounding better and better.  I do plan on swapping out the volume pot too (keeping the stock knob tho 
biggrin.gif
).

None of the changes going from the stock 6J1 and opamp to this were anything that I would describe as tremendous, but some day I'll try all stock again to see if I notice a bigger change in sound.

Tremendous, no, but I felt that the highs were a little clearer, at least for me.  I'd been neurotically listening to the same album when I made the switch, and once the new MUSES02 was in, things just seemed better.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back