Little Dot 2++ Tube Rolling
Feb 17, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #631 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those with the mullard shield are older, those with double lined mullard shields are even older than that!

True indeed! I have a pair of M8161's without a sheild, and they don't have the same sound as the ones with a sheild. Weird!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #632 of 658
Remeber the first time you heard true head-fi and couldn't believe the sound? My LittleDot T_100 is in bypass mode with the LD II++ feeding it. WOW!! This is the new toy on the setup. Sumiko Audio : Sonus faber

I can't believe the vocals and how even the sound is!! *BIG grin*

Using the Mullard driver tubes and Chinese power tubes.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #633 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4icn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remeber the first time you heard true head-fi and couldn't believe the sound? My LittleDot T_100 is in bypass mode with the LD II++ feeding it. WOW!! This is the new toy on the setup. Sumiko Audio : Sonus faber

Excellent! Now, get a pair of the Russian 6S19-PI power tubes and the II++ will be at it's maximum behavior. Using it to feed the T_100 is a great idea!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #634 of 658
I still want to see those pics, btw.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #636 of 658
Talking to a seller on eBay about getting some Mullards M8161s for cheap, already got the good power tubes. The power tubes didn't make THAT big of a difference, driver tubes DEFINITELY make the difference. Changing from the Ediswan stock tubes to Amperex ones you can tell the difference.
The Ediswans sound more digital and the Amperex ones would be GREAT for vinyl preamp or for Grados for a nice warm tube-like sound.

I got the Uly 6S19P-V power tubes. They don't make the amp as hot as the stock tubes though.

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #637 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyPythizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking to a seller on eBay about getting some Mullards M8161s for cheap, already got the good power tubes. The power tubes didn't make THAT big of a difference, driver tubes DEFINITELY make the difference. Changing from the Ediswan stock tubes to Amperex ones you can tell the difference. The Ediswans sound more digital and the Amperex ones would be GREAT for vinyl preamp or for Grados for a nice warm tube-like sound.

I got the Uly 6S19P-V power tubes. They don't make the amp as hot as the stock tubes though.

I think they go for ~$50 for a matched pair, I got mine on ebay for about that much.
redface.gif
They really are beautiful sounding tubes though, maybe I'll get another pair just in case if I can find them cheaper. PM me if you find a good deal!

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #639 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4icn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm curious. Do you have to run a sub-woofer with those to get proper bass?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #640 of 658
Mar 3, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #641 of 658
Well, this thread has imo the most LDII++ info relating to its sound, so I'll post this here.

Over the time time I've had this amp, around 9 months now, its flaws have become more apparent to me.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet,for good of the people!

Mids are too pronounced/emphasized.
Too warm.
Bass could use more slam/weight/impact.
Really struggles with complex and/or fast musical passages.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #642 of 658
Quote:

Well, this thread has imo the most LDII++ info relating to its sound, so I'll post this here.

Over the time time I've had this amp, around 9 months now, its flaws have become more apparent to me.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet,for good of the people!

Mids are too pronounced/emphasized.
Too warm.
Bass could use more slam/weight/impact.
Really struggles with complex and/or fast musical passages.

Could you share with us which power tubes and driver tubes you have in it?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #643 of 658
Its in the profile the tubes I have, I mostly use (probably NOS, not sure) Uly 6c19-b and NOS Mullard M8161.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #644 of 658
Quote:

Its in the profile the tubes I have, I mostly use (probably NOS, not sure) Uly 6c19-b and NOS Mullard M8161.

I just did a quick tube rolling with my LDII++, to see if I had a tube that is better in the areas you are having problems with. The only one I could find that holds any promise, is the Amperex EF92 Bugle Boys. Better bass punch, less emphasis on the mids and not as warm, compared to the M8161. Hope this helps some!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #645 of 658
Heh, I'll be upgrading soon enough. Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC to balanced CKKIII's, hifi on the cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back