Little Dot 2++ Tube Rolling
Feb 16, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #616 of 658
I turned my Little Dot II++ off to let it cool down so I could swap tubes. Ten minutes later I come back and it is still powered on, so I reach to the back and get shocked!! The power switch had melted and I reached inside it, grounding my hand to the top of the case...

Felt nice- more the burning plastic on my index finger.
eek.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #617 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4icn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I turned my Little Dot II++ off to let it cool down so I could swap tubes. Ten minutes later I come back and it is still powered on, so I reach to the back and get shocked!! The power switch had melted and I reached inside it, grounding my hand to the top of the case...

eek.gif

Pics of both melted switch and burned finger?
eek.gif

EDIT: To add something to the thread, heres my tube collection
pict0055ot3.jpg

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #618 of 658
Quote:

eek.gif

OMG
eek.gif
You ok? Now I know why the new MK series have fuses in the A/C line! I hope your LD II++ is OK? A pic of the switch would be interesting?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #619 of 658
Don't put EF91's in your LDII++ like I did. Could be bad for it's health!
And to think I made notes on it too! Jokes on me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #620 of 658
You can put EF91s in a LDII++!?!?!
I thought it was EF92 equiv's only!

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #621 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can put EF91s in a LDII++!?!?!
I thought it was EF92 equiv's only!

It isn't safe you guys. The EF91 draws quite a bit more current than the EF92, this will force the voltage regulators to work harder and run hotter, given the LDII++ has a reputation for failing VR's running it harder is probably a bad idea.
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #622 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't safe you guys. The EF91 draws quite a bit more current than the EF92, this will force the voltage regulators to work harder and run hotter, given the LDII++ has a reputation for failing VR's running it harder is probably a bad idea.
frown.gif

Is that right!!
eek.gif
I didn't notice anything different, but I sure don't want to "cook" it either. I had my old note sheet on possibilities for the LDII++ and I had written it down there, so I never gave it a second thought! Sorry for the mis-direct, I'll go clean up my post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #623 of 658
On a side note, it really did sound at that level in the MKII also. Right between the M8161 and 6CQ6. They matured pretty quick too. I guess I'll have a set for when my MKIII gets here.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #625 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're getting a MkIII too? Quite the collector!

I've been wanting one of those for a while. I guess it was back when they put the first pics of it up on their site. Those big Rubycons just sucked me in!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #626 of 658
Quote:

eek.gif

long term effects of the heat. never imagined it would be something like that.

so is the amp done for?

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #627 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, it really did sound at that level in the MKII also. Right between the M8161 and 6CQ6. They matured pretty quick too. I guess I'll have a set for when my MKIII gets here.
biggrin.gif

Can you elaborate about the sound of the 6CQ6?
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
long term effects of the heat. never imagined it would be something like that.

so is the amp done for?

Look at the bright side, he may get a free upgrade to MKII
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #628 of 658
yeah. contact little dot. repairs are guaranteed for a year after purchase, which i doubt they will even bother with. for a small sum, you could probably get a new amp - updated model as well.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #629 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you elaborate about the sound of the 6CQ6?

Look at the bright side, he may get a free upgrade to MKII
tongue.gif

I think your description on the page before this one is very close. To me, there was a difference in the highs, that sounds like there might be a difference is the speed of attack and decay, which makes the high notes seem shorter in duration. I like the sound of both very much. The shield versions seem (for some reason) to be better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #630 of 658
Those with the mullard shield are older, those with double lined mullard shields are even older than that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back