Lite Dac-83 versus Audio GD Ref 7,8,9
Jan 23, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 54

Quote:
Cattylink selling this lite dac83

http://www.cattylink.com/page404.html 
biggrin.gif

So tempting.

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #17 of 54
Just went to borrow dac 83 to home demo and compare to Audiogd 5&7 with other friend together. 

Can't really tell which one is better as the sounds character is differenet to us. Audiogd sounds more musical to my ear but dac 83 have better sounds stage and high. Details both doing very good job. For my personal taste, dac 83 is sitting somewhere between better than ref 5 and close to ref 7. But 2 of our friend prefer dac 83 and me and others prefer ref7.

I am sure either Ref 7 or dac 83 buyer won't be disappointed.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 54
Wow, this looks like a really nice product. Finally some competition for Audio-gd, they´ve had the PCM1704UK DAC market for themselves for quite a while already :) More competition is always good for consumers. Western DAC gear seems to be in deep trouble though... In the review (by Darko) in the URL posted previously in this thread, the Lavry DA-10 lost even to the NFB-2... 

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 54
15 Kilo. Just thinking of reselling this DAC after some years and I get a headache.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #21 of 54
Hello ciphercomplete,

A little review of your Lite transport would be very interesting, but I know that reviewing a transport is not easy...

And 2 questions :

1- Is the reliability good ?
2- Is the stabilizer noisy ?

Thanks.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 54

Quote:
Wow, this looks like a really nice product. Finally some competition for Audio-gd, they´ve had the PCM1704UK DAC market for themselves for quite a while already :) More competition is always good for consumers. Western DAC gear seems to be in deep trouble though... In the review (by Darko) in the URL posted previously in this thread, the Lavry DA-10 lost even to the NFB-2... 

The Larvy DA 10 is great DAC, i own one before. but after heard the ref 7 and Dac 83. there is no comparison in a high reveal system.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 54
jady016,

Do you think instruments like guitar, violins, cello are more full-bodied with the Lite 83 than with the Lavry ? I don't like thin midrange and treble.

Thanks.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #24 of 54

I had intended on writing a review sometime ago but indeed writing a review for a transport is difficult.  I have not had any issues of reliability that were not of my own doing (I'll explain that in a moment).  The stabilizer doesn't make any noise during playback that I have noticed.  The thing smokes the Stello CDT 200 transport I used to have.  Everything is better and the CD21 so the only conclusion that I can draw is that the Stello had higher jitter.

Now I had to send my CD21 back for repair recently.  It was a pretty cold, dry day and after sitting and adjusting myself on my couch for a hour or so while listening to some tunes and then lazily scooting across my carpet while wearing socks I had gathered enough static electricity to power a Chevy Volt.  I got up and touched the transport and my whole system shut off.  Fortunately the only thing that got fried was my transport.  I went out and bought a metal AV stand so I now ground my self before touching any of my components now.  Good news is that Pacific Valve is repairing it with no questions asked as we speak.  Once I get it back I can give more immediate impressions instead of going off memory.

Truth be told, despite what these audio mags will tell you, transports are simple.  Just keep the jitter low by using a accurate clock and using separate power supplies for the laser, mechanical, and digital portions and you have yourself a great transport.  I'd put the CD21 or the Audio GD transport up against the uber expensive transports any day.
Quote:
Hello ciphercomplete,

A little review of your Lite transport would be very interesting, but I know that reviewing a transport is not easy...

And 2 questions :

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #25 of 54

Quote:
jady016,

Do you think instruments like guitar, violins, cello are more full-bodied with the Lite 83 than with the Lavry ? I don't like thin midrange and treble.

Thanks.

The Lite DAC 83 had given much more dynamicon the sounds than Lavry DA10. A very honest comments will be depends more on your pre/amp than the DAC for the Mid. But as far as the details and sounds stage. The DAC 83 is far ahead on some master record. Highly recommend you borrow a dac 83 or ref 7 from friend to do a AB test compare to DA 10. You will trust your ear more than my comments.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 54
Odd that a club that is oriented towards DIY'rs will omit information that many DIY'rs find important including pics and information of the powersupply.

I'd like to know if it has true 75ohm coax and what coax hardware is being used for example DIR or other.

Anyways its priced cheaper than the Ref 7 so if it performs equally it might be a better value.  I see no reason for it to perform measurably worse.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 54

Quote:
I had intended on writing a review sometime ago but indeed writing a review for a transport is difficult.  I have not had any issues of reliability that were not of my own doing (I'll explain that in a moment).  The stabilizer doesn't make any noise during playback that I have noticed.  The thing smokes the Stello CDT 200 transport I used to have.  Everything is better and the CD21 so the only conclusion that I can draw is that the Stello had higher jitter.

Now I had to send my CD21 back for repair recently.  It was a pretty cold, dry day and after sitting and adjusting myself on my couch for a hour or so while listening to some tunes and then lazily scooting across my carpet while wearing socks I had gathered enough static electricity to power a Chevy Volt.  I got up and touched the transport and my whole system shut off.  Fortunately the only thing that got fried was my transport.  I went out and bought a metal AV stand so I now ground my self before touching any of my components now.  Good news is that Pacific Valve is repairing it with no questions asked as we speak.  Once I get it back I can give more immediate impressions instead of going off memory.

Truth be told, despite what these audio mags will tell you, transports are simple.  Just keep the jitter low by using a accurate clock and using separate power supplies for the laser, mechanical, and digital portions and you have yourself a great transport.  I'd put the CD21 or the Audio GD transport up against the uber expensive transports any day.
Quote:
Hello ciphercomplete,

And 2 questions :

Thanks.

I remember your transport form the Atlanta meet last year. One of the things that struck me was the build quality which was impeccable. Also, running digital out to my motu 828 MKII sounded better than the way I have it at home in my studio playing some CDs I was familiar with(which uses a computer as a transport). It was still bright sounding, but that just the way the motu sounds, but it was cleaner and more dynamic. I would love to hear it on my main rig. So based on the quality of the matching transport, the dac should be killer!! That would be a very nice combo at a not so insane price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back