List of DACs that work with iPad
Oct 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #767 of 963
Yeah go for CCK since you already have a DAC. iPhone 4 will work if it's been upgraded to iOS7. It's just a bit slow.

Alright thanks! CCK IT IS!

By mean slow is it when connected to the CCK or it's the OS itself slow? Currently, I don't have much hassle wit the new iOS7 hehe

EDIT: NEVER MIND! The CCK sales for BND58(US48++) even at Authorized Apple Store... Wow!

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #769 of 963
I've recently acquired an ALO Island DAC/amp, and while I don't know if it will work with the CCK (I suspect it won't without external power) I've posted the "lsusb" output from a Linux system in the Island thread when dcginc asked if it could be powered by the CCK. I noted that it requested 500ma, so it probably wouldn't work with limited power from the CCK. shipsupt then suggested I post that information here, I guess for completeness. 

So here's the original post, in case anyone is interested. I guess I would like to know if anyone does get an Island running with a CCK, since I do have an iPad, just not the CCK.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682214/alo-the-island-usb-dac#post_9929797

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #770 of 963
I mean the iPhone 4 is a bit slow when running iOS 7, nothing to do with the CCK.

CCK is a lot cheaper than a made for iPhone DAC!

I just encountered a SUPER LAGGY iPhone running iOS7 for the first time! It took me to 2-3sec to wait it up from sleep. 5SEC to launch my music apps! Multitasking? Like foreverrrrrrrrrrr! Keyboard lag-ness makes no differences between my iPhone (Original)! I shut it down completely and restart again.. Thank god it went fine! Otherwise I will really dump it :frowning2:

Anyway, can't justify the expensive CCK selling here! There's only a few left thought... Will see... When the new iPad Mini and Air is here, hopefully they will drop the old iPad2 accessories :D

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #771 of 963
When the new iPad Mini and Air is here, hopefully they will drop the old iPad2 accessories :D

I doubt it :)))

It looks like we have a very big development in iOS audio: Onkyo (who'd expect, huh....) came up with a new iOS app called Onkyo HF Player.
It's a free audio player app with a 9.90 in-app purchase unlocking HI-Res audio playback and files sync for up to 24/192 AND DSD, including both PCM conversion and (!) direct DoP streaming. The app avoids internal restrictions of idevices and is capable to stream Digital hi-res and DSD without downsampling to an external DAC via CCK or Lightning USB adapter.

I tested the app with my iPad mini (original, iOS 7.0.3)+ Lightning USB adapter into M2Tech hiFace DAC. No problems at all playing anything up to DXD 24/352.8 WAV and .dsf and .dff files (2.8 and 5.6) converted to PCM as M2Tech HiFace DAC is not DSD-capable. Soundwise everything is very nice, but because my DAC has no display or LEDs to indicate the sample rate, I can't confirm.

Interesting, isn't it? Looks like the first ever app enabling DSD from iOS. Kudos, onkyo!!!!

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #773 of 963
I doubt it
smily_headphones1.gif
))

It looks like we have a very big development in iOS audio: Onkyo (who'd expect, huh....) came up with a new iOS app called Onkyo HF Player.
It's a free audio player app with a 9.90 in-app purchase unlocking HI-Res audio playback and files sync for up to 24/192 AND DSD, including both PCM conversion and (!) direct DoP streaming. The app avoids internal restrictions of idevices and is capable to stream Digital hi-res and DSD without downsampling to an external DAC via CCK or Lightning USB adapter.

I tested the app with my iPad mini (original, iOS 7.0.3)+ Lightning USB adapter into M2Tech hiFace DAC. No problems at all playing anything up to DXD 24/352.8 WAV and .dsf and .dff files (2.8 and 5.6) converted to PCM as M2Tech HiFace DAC is not DSD-capable. Soundwise everything is very nice, but because my DAC has no display or LEDs to indicate the sample rate, I can't confirm.

Interesting, isn't it? Looks like the first ever app enabling DSD from iOS. Kudos, onkyo!!!!

I have the free Onkyo version playing just aiff redbook and it sounds good.  Wondering if you have looked at the EQ section and have any comments about it.  Can I assume it is parametric with adjustable q, level, and frequency hinge point?

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #774 of 963
I doubt it
smily_headphones1.gif
))

I downloaded this app just now.  One thing I can tell you: It does seem to do upsampling straight out of the box.  Setting the Upsampling Mode lights up the 88.2k light on the microStreamer hooked up to an iPhone 5c when playing 44.1k ALAC files, and it lights up the 96k light on said device when playing 48k files.    Both of these file types are iTunes and iDevice compatible, so I can load them without the in-app purchase.  

But, the not-so-good news for me is that I'm hearing skipping/intermittent sounds at 88.2k and 96k playback with the microStreamer.  It's the same situation I've seen previously with this particular DAC with other apps that play back high-rez files natively (but in this case, it is for upsampling instead of native playback).  So somehow the microStreamer and iDevices don't play nicely for high-rez playback, although as I've said before, the sound is great for native 44.1k and 48k playback.  Other DACs may behave better.  

About the EQ:  I did not program this interface, and I don't have direct knowledge of what is inside.  But, given what they are saying about the EQ being linear phase, and the way the interface works, my highly-educated guestimate is that you are picking hinge points of a spline curve on the EQ graph, and this curve is then used to design a linear-phase (symmetric) FIR filter with the frequency response you've chosen.  I've already played with the interface to make 20 hinge points or so, so there does not seem to be any limit to the number of ripples you can build into the EQ curve.

The HD preset (64 bit processing) for the EQ is a nice touch too.  Bravo!

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #776 of 963
I downloaded this app just now.  One thing I can tell you: It does seem to do upsampling straight out of the box.  Setting the Upsampling Mode lights up the 88.2k light on the microStreamer hooked up to an iPhone 5c when playing 44.1k ALAC files, and it lights up the 96k light on said device when playing 48k files.    Both of these file types are iTunes and iDevice compatible, so I can load them without the in-app purchase.  

But, the not-so-good news for me is that I'm hearing skipping/intermittent sounds at 88.2k and 96k playback with the microStreamer.  It's the same situation I've seen previously with this particular DAC with other apps that play back high-rez files natively (but in this case, it is for upsampling instead of native playback).  So somehow the microStreamer and iDevices don't play nicely for high-rez playback, although as I've said before, the sound is great for native 44.1k and 48k playback.  Other DACs may behave better.  

About the EQ:  I did not program this interface, and I don't have direct knowledge of what is inside.  But, given what they are saying about the EQ being linear phase, and the way the interface works, my highly-educated guestimate is that you are picking hinge points of a spline curve on the EQ graph, and this curve is then used to design a linear-phase (symmetric) FIR filter with the frequency response you've chosen.  I've already played with the interface to make 20 hinge points or so, so there does not seem to be any limit to the number of ripples you can build into the EQ curve.

The HD preset (64 bit processing) for the EQ is a nice touch too.  Bravo!

It does upsample, but you can turn it off, or limit it to 44.1 to 48 upsamppling. Go to settings. I must say that generally the UI could greatly benefit from a more logical thinking :)

I have unlocked HD playback, and I have absolutely no skipping or any other problems with my M2Tech HiFace DAC. As I wrote, plays nicely any file, including DXD and DSD128.

I have the free Onkyo version playing just aiff redbook and it sounds good.  Wondering if you have looked at the EQ section and have any comments about it.  Can I assume it is parametric with adjustable q, level, and frequency hinge point?

I hate EQs in general, so the only setting I tried was OFF :))))

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #778 of 963
I presume the Astoll&Kern AK10 DAC/amp will work with the iPad as long as it had lighting connector. Note: I havend tried this, and at the moment their rather crappy homepage automatically redirects me to the European equivalent so I cannot see the ".com" one where the AK10 specs are...Well, hope they are debuggin the devices rather than the homepage I guess
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back