List of DACs that work with iPad
Nov 19, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #61 of 963
sorry for the double post...

but yeah, it really sucks because once again, that's the main reason why I got the camera-connector kit lol.

I've tried pretty much every permutation possible with the connector so I don't know what else to say unless the uDAC is messed up and is consuming more power than it should, or if there's something wrong with the iPad and it's ability to supply power to the USB device.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #62 of 963
When used with the uDAC, the iPad's volume control does not have any effect.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #63 of 963
The iPad doesn't supply 5V - it supplies far less than that. Apple didn't design it to be a laptop replacement (not to say that laptops supply 5V - I certainly haven't seen one do that). Other than that though, it WILL support most USB functions when the firmware is upgraded.

Just don't expect to work with battery-necessary DAC's without the mains.

Quote:

but yeah, it really sucks because once again, that's the main reason why I got the camera-connector kit lol.

I've tried pretty much every permutation possible with the connector so I don't know what else to say unless the uDAC is messed up and is consuming more power than it should, or if there's something wrong with the iPad and it's ability to supply power to the USB device.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #64 of 963
Still it's weird that it works for everyone except BryanP.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #65 of 963
Added updates through 11/19. 

Pretty soon we'll have to try the ones that don't work with iOS 4.2 considering they had promised support for 24-bit at some later date....

Quote:
Code:
 > 5) Would sample rates be limited to 32, 44.1, 48 @ 16 bits or > would high res devices to 24/96 (Class 1 top end) be supported? at the moment we only support 16bit (and the device needs to be in that mode before it is connected). We are planning on supporting 24bit in the future. Sample rate is an interesting issue.. up to 48kHz is already supported cleanly. If you want more than that, you should file a feature request (bug report).

-john

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #67 of 963

Quote:

Do you have a multimeter? It may well determine what's going on. You may be on to something that maybe the uDAC wants more juice than USB is rated at. I know that technically the ipad is that way but it could be something similar. I know that on the FiiO e7 I would get the same error until I turned off the USB power option in the menu.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #68 of 963

Quote:
Added updates through 11/19. 

Pretty soon we'll have to try the ones that don't work with iOS 4.2 considering they had promised support for 24-bit at some later date....

Quote:
Code:
 > 5) Would sample rates be limited to 32, 44.1, 48 @ 16 bits or > would high res devices to 24/96 (Class 1 top end) be supported? at the moment we only support 16bit (and the device needs to be in that mode before it is connected). We are planning on supporting 24bit in the future. Sample rate is an interesting issue.. up to 48kHz is already supported cleanly. If you want more than that, you should file a feature request (bug report).

-john

So, thanks to Shigzeo, it looks like we have confirmation that the iPad now supports 24/96 after the iOS 4.2 upgrade!

Shigzeo writes:
My SoundPrime DDC 24/96 jitter-box works with the iPad. Using it now with that and the Rubby power amp/DAC and Libby headphone amp/DAC from Firestone.

-john

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #69 of 963
Just to add the Beresford 7520 and Project USB Box both work on the iPad.
Output is low with the Project USB Box and have to turn the volume up.
Just to add they both work 3.1.3 and 4.2

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #70 of 963
Can someone confirm the uDAC2 working on 4.2? Whether that's the HP version or the 'real' with-line-out version would be awesome to know as well.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #72 of 963
Has anyone had issues with using the RSA Predator with their iPad with the new OS? I am getting an error when I plug it into the camera kit saying that the unit requires too much power. I did not get this error before upgrading to the new OS.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #73 of 963
Since I've only had my D12 and iPad for a little over a week I'm really disappointed that they no longer work together after the update.  I guess I'll have to buy a FiiO LOD to use for the time being and hope that Apple "fixes" this.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #74 of 963
Interesting. I had to stay in 4.2 (dev) so I never tested the uDAC configuration with 3.2 installed.  It could be related to the OS controlling the maximum-power output it wants the USB to deliver (within the bounds) to preserve battery life. Anyone have a 16GB (non-3G) iPad that works on 4.2.1 with the first-generation uDAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back