List of DACs that work with iPad
Oct 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #31 of 963
Does the signal passed through the camera connector / USB port get affected by the volume control?  I assumed not because I thought the connector signal was digital while the volume control was in the analog stage.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #32 of 963
Indeed, Mr. Minches, when using a DAC via the camera connector the iPad volume control does not do anything.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #33 of 963
That makes sense.  What confused me is the post earlier in this thread by JC9394 about the RSA Predator when the review said that he needed to have his volume at 100%.  I assume he meant the iPad volume, not the RSA volume.  Either one would be problematic.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #34 of 963

Indeed, Mr. Minches, when using a DAC via the camera connector the iPad volume control does not do anything.

That makes sense.  What confused me is the post earlier in this thread by JC9394 about the RSA Predator when the review said that he needed to have his volume at 100%.  I assume he meant the iPad volume, not the RSA volume.  Either one would be problematic.

The iPad volume within iTunes does indeed affect the volume through camera connection kit with the Predator, and I'm sure a few other DACs as well.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #35 of 963
Quote:
The iPad volume within iTunes does indeed affect the volume through camera connection kit with the Predator, and I'm sure a few other DACs as well.

The volume control on the iPad does not affect the Hot Audio DAC WOW. The volume control slider goes to the middle when you plug it in but adjusting it does not affect the sound.

And just to nitpick a bit, there is no iTunes music player application on the iPad. The built-in music player is called iPod, and there is a separate app to access the iTunes store.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #36 of 963

Quote:

Really?  That seems very odd that it would with some DACs, and not with others.

In that case, the volume in iTunes needs to be all the way up, all the time, or you would be throwing away resolution.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #38 of 963

Quote:
Really?  That seems very odd that it would with some DACs, and not with others.

In that case, the volume in iTunes needs to be all the way up, all the time, or you would be throwing away resolution.

Why is that odd? That's the way various DACs work on PC/Macs; IME some take away the volume on the computer and some don't. I prefer it when they do, since I still have the amplifier volume control, and can control volume from iTunes as well.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #39 of 963
I confirmed the Predator/iPad volume behavior just this weekend at RMAF, when someone was using my iPad and camera connection kit with their Predator, and they got no sound until I took the iPad and turned up the volume within the iPod app (I mispoke and iTunes is the music store app).

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #40 of 963
I spoke to Ray Samuels this week and he said the volume control needs to be at 100%.  Does this mean that the volume control acts as both an analog and digital volume control, depending on how you are using the iPad signal?

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #41 of 963

Quote:
I spoke to Ray Samuels this week and he said the volume control needs to be at 100%.  Does this mean that the volume control acts as both an analog and digital volume control, depending on how you are using the iPad signal?

Yes, but it also depends on the DAC you use.  Some DAC's don't allow the iPad to control the volume.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #44 of 963
Quote:
I assume you mean the iBasso D12?

Done.

-john

Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back