List of DACs that work with iPad
Nov 30, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #76 of 963
It sucks to be scared to update.  But that is where I am at when it comes to this issue.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #78 of 963

Quote:
It sucks to be scared to update.  But that is where I am at when it comes to this issue.

I was worried, too, but updated anyway.  I guess I will buy one of the adapters on the previous page to see if it fixes the problem (the boxwave adapter that I currently own does not make it work, either).  I mainly use the uDac setup on vacation, which won't be happening for a few months, so I am hoping they update it before then. 

The upside is that with the new Airplay feature, I can use it with the two Airport Express units I have in the house without having to plug it in directly to the DAC.  I also have a receiver coming with Airplay, so it will be much better for sending audio from the iPad to better setups (without having to plug in the camera connector).  I wish I did not have to trade off uDac use to get this feature, but it was worth the update for me....also, the new Slingbox app was what made the update a necessity. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #80 of 963
I guess that's the deal, no longer can usb-powered DACs be powered by the iPad through the camera adapter. I just updated and can confirm that none of the three usb-powered DACs I was using will work anymore. 

So if we want to use an external DAC portably with the iPad it will have to have it's own battery. Supposedly the neXt generation of iPads will have a usb port for charging at least, which will hopefully defeat the powered hub requirements as those iPads will be able to be plugged in to AC separately from the dock. But that's not portable, it's just a bit more convenient than using a powered usb hub. The upside is we can plug them both in at once for stationary use and have a wifi hifi device on our coffee table.

Has anyone tried the Sendstation Pocketdock with the iPad? It has a usb port for charging, I wonder if there is an I/O there to try but I don't think so.

I found a nice powered hub on Amazon for $16 shipped that looks pretty cool and gets decent reviews, so I ordered one to dedicate to the iPad. I definitely don't recommend the Kensington dome hubs; they have a great form factor but two have failed on me for no reason and they're not cheap. I have three unused hubs ATM that don't work anymore and the rest are being used elsewhere. I hates wires!

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #81 of 963

Quote:
I guess that's the deal, no longer can usb-powered DACs be powered by the iPad through the camera adapter. I just updated and can confirm that none of the three usb-powered DACs I was using will work anymore. 

So if we want to use an external DAC portably with the iPad it will have to have it's own battery. Supposedly the neXt generation of iPads will have a usb port for charging at least, which will hopefully defeat the powered hub requirements as those iPads will be able to be plugged in to AC separately from the dock. But that's not portable, it's just a bit more convenient than using a powered usb hub. The upside is we can plug them both in at once for stationary use and have a wifi hifi device on our coffee table.

Has anyone tried the Sendstation Pocketdock with the iPad? It has a usb port for charging, I wonder if there is an I/O there to try but I don't think so.

I found a nice powered hub on Amazon for $16 shipped that looks pretty cool and gets decent reviews, so I ordered one to dedicate to the iPad. I definitely don't recommend the Kensington dome hubs; they have a great form factor but two have failed on me for no reason and they're not cheap. I have three unused hubs ATM that don't work anymore and the rest are being used elsewhere. I hates wires!

Nice looking dock......

I wonder if the quality of the wall-wart is going to affect the sound of the DAC?

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #82 of 963
Good question, it probably would have to do with the isolation capabilities of the DAC at least as much as the quality of the ac adapter, which can't be that great.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #83 of 963

Quote:
Good question, it probably would have to do with the isolation capabilities of the DAC at least as much as the quality of the ac adapter, which can't be that great.

Well, some usb power is pretty dirty, so if a dac is designed to run off usb power, it probably has good isolation, wouldn't ya think?

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #85 of 963
Ya would think 
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #87 of 963
Has anyone found or thought of building a USB A to B cable that has provides 5v regulated power from a 9v battery? It would solve the powered hub issue and allow you to use your DAC + iPad on the move.

I haven't had any luck finding one on Google but it should be pretty easy to do. Alas, I'm far too busy/lazy* (delete as applicable) to do it myself.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #88 of 963

Quote:
Well, I'm not updating yet either. Jailbroken 3.2 is just fine for me.

Are you saying you upgraded and then went back to 3.2 or just stayed with a jailbroken 3.2?

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #89 of 963
What is the point of a powered USB hub with a portable DAC/amp?  You can't use that on an airplane.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #90 of 963

Quote:
What is the point of a powered USB hub with a portable DAC/amp?  You can't use that on an airplane.

Right, that's why we have to hope that Dr. Bott thing works.  Hope mine arrives today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back