List of DACs that work with iPad
Nov 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #46 of 963
yeah well it hasnt got anything to do with the dac, what you are confirming is that it works with whatever usb->spdif/i2s receiver was installed in the buffalo, which isnt surprising considering pretty much any dac that has a receiver that has its own power supply will work. 

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #47 of 963

Quote:
yeah well it hasnt got anything to do with the dac, what you are confirming is that it works with whatever usb->spdif/i2s receiver was installed in the buffalo, which isnt surprising considering pretty much any dac that has a receiver that has its own power supply will work. 

I don;t think that's true.  DACs that are 96/24 don't seem to work with the iPad, period.  Even completely powered, home DACs.  That may indeed be due to the input receiver, but if so it's still not true that "any dac that has a receiver that has its own power supply will work".

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #48 of 963

Quote:
Got a chance to try this with Buffalo32S. It works!

Added.

Quote:
I don;t think that's true.  DACs that are 96/24 don't seem to work with the iPad, period.  Even completely powered, home DACs.  That may indeed be due to the input receiver, but if so it's still not true that "any dac that has a receiver that has its own power supply will work".

Correct.  Note per the first post:

Code:
 at the moment we only support 16bit (and the device needs to be in that mode before it is connected). We are planning on supporting 24bit in the future. Sample rate is an interesting issue.. up to 48kHz is already supported cleanly. If you want more than that, you should file a feature request (bug report).

It also mentions power and the other factors that are likely to result in a given DAC working or not working. 

-john

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #50 of 963
PS Audio DAC Link III works too. No issues

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #52 of 963
For some reason when I use the uDAC, I get the message "The devices uses too much power." This is the first version of the uDAC and I'm running on a non-3G wifi 16GB iPad with 4.2GM2. The iPad works fine with an externally powered dac/amp such as the hifiman EF2A however (sounds great, listening through my HD600s). Anyone have an idea why this may be an issue? I've used different USB cables (all length 6 ft since its all I have right now) so its not a faulty cable.

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #53 of 963
That's odd - I don't have that issue. Are you plugging the uDAC in before powering the iPad on? If not, try that.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #55 of 963

Quote:
That's odd - I don't have that issue. Are you plugging the uDAC in before powering the iPad on? If not, try that.

Yeah it's really odd. Yep, I've tried plugging in the uDAC first, then powering the iPad on. I've also tried to do from when the iPad is already turned on. Basically when the uDAC turns on its LED, the pop-up would come up.

Really is a bummer because that's mainly why I purchased the camera-connector for it since I wouldn't have to lug around the external PSU to the EF2A. I really am wondering why it's like that though...

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #56 of 963
Are you using the uDac-2 by any chance? If so that is the problem. I don't have any problem with the original uDac. Try plugging it into the camera kit first, then plug the kit into the iPad, that usually works for me.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #57 of 963

Quote:
Are you using the uDac-2 by any chance? If so that is the problem. I don't have any problem with the original uDac. Try plugging it into the camera kit first, then plug the kit into the iPad, that usually works for me.

Thanks for the help. Yep, I tried all that already. I've pretty much given up on it lol. At least I can still use my HD600s with the EF2A. I have the original uDAC so it's not because it's a uDAC 2. I bought it back in Feb when it was in the hype lol...

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #58 of 963
Little Dot DAC mk II works great.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #59 of 963

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the help. Yep, I tried all that already. I've pretty much given up on it lol. At least I can still use my HD600s with the EF2A. I have the original uDAC so it's not because it's a uDAC 2. I bought it back in Feb when it was in the hype lol...

As I type this I am listening to my iPad > Camera Connection Kit > Nuforce USB Cable > Nuforce uDAC > Nuforce UF-30 headphones, and it does work beautifully.  I can turn on and off the uDAC while plugged in and listening tonight, without any warnings about power consumption being too much.  It works flawlessly for me.

I have no clue why it isn't working for you.  My 64Gb 3G iPad is still on OS 3.2 jailbroken, but that shouldn't make a difference. 

UPDATE - I'm trying several USB DAC again right now.  

Everytime you switch DACs it helps to unplug the Camera Connection Kit and plug the DAC into the cable and kit before plugging into the iPad.  A few times a DAC would work, I'd unplug it and plug in another which gave me a "too much power" warning, but unplugging the kit would "reset" things and allow the next one to work.

1) So far I have the uDAC working perfectly. See above.  I forgot to check if the iPad volume control affects the output volume before I gave it back to my son.

2) 3MOVE - it took several tries to get it to work without the too much power draw warning.  Whenever I get that warming, I have to unplug the Camera Connection kit from the iPad to reset things.  I had to have the 3MOVE turned on first, then plugged into the Camera Connection Kit before plugging it into the iPad,  and then plug that into the iPad last - but then it worked fine.  Like with the Predator, the iPad volume control still controls the 3MOVE volume and you have to turn it to maximum when playing the iPod application.

3) XM5 by Practical Devices - just the same as the 3MOVE.  The XM5 must also already be turned on before plugging it into the iPad, or you get the too much power warning.  Like with the Predator, the iPad volume control still controls the 3MOVE volume and you have to turn it to maximum when playing the iPod application.

4) Vivid Audio Tech V1 - can plug in with power on or off with no "too much power" warnings, and can turn on and off while listening with no warnings.  Like with the Predator and 3MOVE, then iPad volume control does affect the V1 output volume, and should be left on maximum.

5) I plugged in a Nuforce Icon Mobile with a dead battery and got the power warning.  I disconnected it all, and plugged in a headphone to the amp first so that the power would be on once it got some juice, and plugging in the Camera Connection Kit to the iPad - this allowed to to work right away with no warnings.  The iPad volume control affects the music volume though the amp, and should be left on maximum.

6) iBasso D10 - one of the first ones to ship, that wont charge via USB and allow analog input at the same time because it always uses the DAC anytime it's plugged into USB.  It worked without having to even turn on the amp first.  I can have the amp off or on when I plug the whole deal into the USB, and it plays fine and never gives me a power warning.  iPad app volume control has no effect on music volume out of the D10.

7) iBasso D4 - plugged it in with power switch on and 9v off and got power warning.  Turned it off and plugged in again with 9v off and in the iPod app it said "dock connector" where the volume control usually appear, but no sound.  Unplugged everything again, and with amp still switched on but 9v off I plugged in the Camera Kit and it worked.  iPod volume control showed up instead of "dock connector" but changing the volume in iPod app does not affect the sound.  To double check I unplugged everything, and if I plug in the D4 with the power off, and then turn on power the warning appears.  If the the volume knob power switch is turned on, even with 9v mode off, when I plug in the D4 it powers up and works without a warning.

8) RSA Predator - At RMAF 5 weeks ago the Predator worked fine, but the iPad app volume control needed to be turned up.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #60 of 963

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As I type this I am listening to my iPad > Camera Connection Kit > Nuforce USB Cable > Nuforce uDAC > Nuforce UF-30 headphones, and it does work beautifully.  I can turn on and off the uDAC while plugged in and listening tonight, without any warnings about power consumption being too much.  It works flawlessly for me.

I have no clue why it isn't working for you.  My 64Gb 3G iPad is still on OS 3.2 jailbroken, but that shouldn't make a difference. 

Yeah it's a bummer... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back