List of DACs that work with iPad
Apr 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #857 of 963
Thanks guys.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #858 of 963
"What is the best way to overcome the dreaded "The connected device requires too much power""?

I posted this a while ago in the forums, (see post 606) but after a while it gets lost and people come back asking the same questions.

This works on all IOS, all ipads, iphones with the ability to output a digital out.  I have tested this personally on iphone 4s, iphone 5, iphone 5s, ipad 2,3,4,air, mini and mini retina with an audioquest dragonfly and an apple CCK, both 30pin and lightning.

Here is a solution:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111116825157

Just plug this in series between the CCK and your DAC.

I have no connection with the seller. 

Thanks for posting this, I see there are many similar USB extension cables like this available. Do you just plug the Camera Connection Kit into this cable and iDevice, then this cable into the DAC, or do you also need to plug this cable into a power source?

Anybody know a good/inexpensive USB to coax/optical converter?

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #859 of 963
Audio advisor has tha nuforce usb to coax/optical converter for $49 now. I have had the model from eBay/Breeze Audio and a Hiface two and the nuforce is my personnel favorite. Notwithstanding any non-scientific BS including marketing claims the published measurements on these show they produce no audible defects when working properly. However with both my iPad and my macbook the nuforce has been more reliable. Each of the others would sometimes loose "sync" and start spitting out digital noise. I have yet to have any problems with the Nuforce. Of course, this is just for my system and your results could be different.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #860 of 963
I have been using a Matrix USB to coaxial converter for the last 2 years. It costs about forty dollars / pounds / euros via ebay which includes shipping from China / Hong Kong. Shipping took about a week from China to the UK. The Matrix is about the size of an AA battery with a socket at each end so makes for a great portable solution.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #861 of 963
"Thanks for posting this, I see there are many similar USB extension cables like this available. Do you just plug the Camera Connection Kit into this cable and iDevice, then this cable into the DAC, or do you also need to plug this cable into a power source?"

no power source needed. This is the smallest one I found. It uses a low power USB receiver which works unpowered with the iDevice.

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #863 of 963
Hi,

I have a Musical Fidelity V DAC II - it works fine with my Ipad 3. However, I cannot change the volume on the Ipad - the Ipad's volume control options are not available when the DAC is plugged in via the camera connection kit - a major issue on my setup - as no other volume control options are available.

Has anybody found a way to get the Ipad's volume control back when a DAC is connected?

Best,

Leon

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #864 of 963

I have a Musical Fidelity V DAC II - it works fine with my Ipad 3. However, I cannot change the volume on the Ipad - the Ipad's volume control options are not available when the DAC is plugged in via the camera connection kit - a major issue on my setup - as no other volume control options are available.

Has anybody found a way to get the Ipad's volume control back when a DAC is connected?

Actually the ideal set-up is to not use digital-level volume control, and use an analog-level potentiometer, so that might be unlikely. Still, what comes after the VDAC that you don't have a preamp stage after it? A pure power amp?

Schiit has a $99 passive preamp so you might want to add that.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #865 of 963
Not sure if anyone has tried the Geek Out on the iPad yet, but I just did using a Schiit Wyrd as a powered USB hub.

iPad 2nd gen -> cheap generic camera connection kit adapter ->Wyrd -> Geek Out 450
iPad Mini 1st gen -> generic(non-Apple) lightning to USB adapter ->Wyrd -> Geek OUt 450

Both worked great. No message about drawing too much power, etc.

I don't have a generic powered hub lying around to test. I doubt there's anything special about the Wyrd in terms of compatibility with the iPad, so maybe a generic powered hub will work. But at least you know the power and USB data is clean coming out of the Wyrd. 

I know it's not portable or battery powered, but it's one way to use a Geek Out with the iPad.

It sounded pretty good.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #867 of 963
Using the iPhone 5S with the NAD D 1050 right now.  It requires a USB splitter/hub to trick the iPhone into thinking the device uses less power than it actually does.  So I'm using a cheapo I haven't used in about a decade, was purchased through TigerDirect.  It's a 4 port (though that doesn't matter).

So the setup is: iPhone 5S > Lightning to USB Camera Adapter > USB Hub > NAD D 1050

Will any cheap self powered, USB hub work in this configuration?….IPAD Air> lightning/USB connector > self-powered usb hub > AQ Dragonfly

I am looking for the cheapest solution possible & was wondering if this hub would work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-Ports-High-Speed-USB-2-0-Splitter-Powered-AC-Adapter-HUB-For-PC-Computer-/121350292491?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item1c410a840b

Let's put it this way, if the DAC supports a standard USB Audio Interface it'll work...  In other words, if the DAC doesn't need any external drivers and works as a plug-n-play it will work with a USB splitter into the CCK as long as the USB splitter doesn't tell the iOS device that it itself eats too much power (most don't).  So the configuration will work...  That splitter should (no guarantees). 

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #869 of 963
  Not sure if anyone has tried the Geek Out on the iPad yet, but I just did using a Schiit Wyrd as a powered USB hub.

iPad 2nd gen -> cheap generic camera connection kit adapter ->Wyrd -> Geek Out 450
iPad Mini 1st gen -> generic(non-Apple) lightning to USB adapter ->Wyrd -> Geek OUt 450

Both worked great. No message about drawing too much power, etc.

I don't have a generic powered hub lying around to test. I doubt there's anything special about the Wyrd in terms of compatibility with the iPad, so maybe a generic powered hub will work. But at least you know the power and USB data is clean coming out of the Wyrd. 

I know it's not portable or battery powered, but it's one way to use a Geek Out with the iPad.

It sounded pretty good.

Thanks for testing. I am interested in using Geek Out 1000 with iPad/iPhone without powered hub for portable use. Do you think if this would work? Thanks.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #870 of 963
  Thanks for testing. I am interested in using Geek Out 1000 with iPad/iPhone without powered hub for portable use. Do you think if this would work? Thanks.

I could not get the Geek Out to work without the Wyrd. So I think you will have to have a self-powered hub. Plus, I am guessing a GO1000 will draw even more power. I wonder if a battery powered hub will have enough power. Just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back