List of DACs that work with iPad
Dec 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #151 of 963

Quote:
Quote:
if you're going to use the HRT it would appear that you need the powered hub to ensure you are getting the actual specified performance of the device.

That may be the case for the Pro, but I bought a Belkin hub yesterday and my initial impressions were that I prefer it without the added hassle of the hub - problem being that I was tired and irritable after a crap day at work. I plan to spend more time switching between the two on the weekend, but I really have to ask if we are just making things harder than they need to be - suddenly something like the QLS QA-350, limited though it may be in capacity terms, would solve a lot of the mucking about that we go through with things like the iPad and various computer-based solutions.

To me it seems like a QLS QA-350 would actually complicate things. I would have to change from ALAC to WAV. That takes more space, but then I have to have to listen off of of SD cards, no hard drives so it's a lot more mucking about for an iTunes guy. And iTunes would not be used for playback, just for converting to WAV and exporting to SD cards? Yeah right, that's not going to happen.

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #152 of 963
I don't know that the specs are on the USB port but unless it is done right, USB digital audio can high in jitter and sound pretty poor.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #153 of 963
^ Which is why external transports like the HiFace, Firestone Bravo, Halide Bridge and the Algorhythm Solo are great products for the iPad. The Solo also has its own batteries and actually charges the iPad when in use.

Portable is another story, I am thinking that a battery-powered DAC/amp would be the best choice but because of the above I would want it to include an external clock and have no idea if such a device actually exists!

I can see why Skylab has decided to just use an LOD for portable use...

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #154 of 963

Quote:
To me it seems like a QLS QA-350 would actually complicate things. I would have to change from ALAC to WAV. That takes more space, but then I have to have to listen off of of SD cards, no hard drives so it's a lot more mucking about for an iTunes guy. And iTunes would not be used for playback, just for converting to WAV and exporting to SD cards? Yeah right, that's not going to happen.

Horses for courses - I loathe iTunes, despite owning 2-3 iPods at any given point in time (I'm including a Touch that I have held onto for years), and rip everything to WAV using EAC. I can convert WAV to anything I want at a later date, but I have the security of knowing that I have the WAV file if I want to quickly convert my music into several different formats later. No-one is debating that FLAC/ALAC compatibility would have been preferable, but it wont happen without QLS investing in a more powerful chip for the decoding - I suspect that would be reflected in the purchase price.

I still maintain that the QA-350 is a step in the right direction - where QLS and others go with it in the future will be very interesting, at least to me.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #155 of 963
All of the popular lossless formats can easily be converted to other formats.

I would bet that Apple will eventually fix this issue. It is causing problems with many different USB devices. Just make sure you report the problem to Apple.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #156 of 963

Quote:
^ Which is why external transports like the HiFace, Firestone Bravo, Halide Bridge and the Algorhythm Solo are great products for the iPad. The Solo also has its own batteries and actually charges the iPad when in use.

Portable is another story, I am thinking that a battery-powered DAC/amp would be the best choice but because of the above I would want it to include an external clock and have no idea if such a device actually exists!

The HiFace won't work with an ipad.

And from what I've heard with my Pico dac and BCT to my main rig, the digital out isn't good enough to warrant the hassle of implementing it. 

I'm going to stick with Skylab and HPA and go with the LO or HPO.

BTW, has anyone compared the LO to an amplified HPO?  This is not the same as you're old ipod.  The differences might not be as noticeable as they once were.

USG

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #158 of 963
Hey Now,

That's funny, in the back of my mind I said to check to see if there were any issues with upgrading to 4.2, wish I would have trusted my instincts. I really could use the music more than folders, airplay or printing 8^(.

This sucks, my office rig was iPad > CCK > uDac > iQube. Nice, neat and tidy. It was very transportable, if not considered portable. I only have two other units to use, the Maverick D1 or Zhaolu (both DAC/amp combos). I have to use the HA NG COAX usb/spdif converter. It is no longer transportable, but works and sounds good. 

I may have to unload the iQube and get a D10 with coax in to get to a transportable rig - iPad > CCK > HA NG Coax > D10. Not too much bigger than the uDac/iQube combo.

Oh well . . . . . . . 

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #159 of 963
For me there are two different uses here, for which I would consider putting together different rigs.  For travel, on the plane and especially on the desk in the hotel or at my destination  I don't mind carrying a little extra gear in my bag... the iPad > Dac > AMP is my choice.  Heck, even carrying the Micro Stack is not out of the question, although that's not as likely now that I've got the Pico.  Am I getting any real improvement in SQ?  I couldn't begin to offer a qualified opinion, but its only me listening so...

However, if I am going to be truly portable, wanting to carry something in the pocket while on the move I'm grabbing an iPod, maybe with LOD and small amp... it really depends what I am up to.  In fact, adding the ipod to the bag takes up so little room I sometimes bring both so I have the travel rig when working and lounging and the ipod for the gym etc... 

Maybe I just like carrying extra gear and looking like I've got extra cool gadgets! 
blink.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #160 of 963
Wanted to get some advice.  I have an ipad/camera connection kit/Norforce Icon Mobil/HD 650's.  It works fine on 3.2. did not work on 4.2.1 update to ipad(power error messeage) so I went back to 3.2.  My question, is there a dac/amp that will work on 4.2.1 that will drive the HD650's with a little more power and not get the error message about using to much power.  On and is portable no external powered usb hub I hear better sound now but not a lot of volume difference at all.  

Thank you so much for your opinions ahead of time.  Would like to stay under $200 dollars if possible but any recommendation is welcome.  

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #161 of 963

Quote:
Quote:

And from what I've heard with my Pico dac and BCT to my main rig, the digital out isn't good enough to warrant the hassle of implementing it. 

BTW, has anyone compared the LO to an amplified HPO?  This is not the same as you're old ipod.  The differences might not be as noticeable as they once were.

USG

So you've tried the HiFace with and without a powered hub and/or a T3 hub? What about the modded HiFace with battery power?

Just trying to get a little clarification, thanks USG.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #162 of 963

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

USG

So you've tried the HiFace with and without a powered hub and/or a T3 hub? What about the modded HiFace with battery power?

Just trying to get a little clarification, thanks USG.

It's not a power issue, the HiFace needs proprietary usb drivers.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #165 of 963
4.2 changed the allowable power draw of the dock connector from 100mA to 20mA. If you have a device that uses less than 20mA you are ok. Hopefully the iPad 2 will get a bigger battery and apple will change this or allow users to manage the power draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back