List of DACs that work with iPad
Dec 14, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #136 of 963
Yeah I wasn't thinking about the current draw from the DAC, probably because I am using a powered hub now 
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #137 of 963
I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that, but if it happens I'll post about it.  

I don't make it a habit of amplifying an iPod/Pad/Phone headphone-out jack to see how well they work as a line-out.  I tried it in the past with my old Nano 1G and 2G and 5.5G Video and the line out was always better, so I stopped comparing them for feeding an amp.  I did routinely use a Pico DAC/amp with headphone-out into a Woo GES for almost a year, and it worked wonderfully; but usually I only go for the line out, and my Pico DAC-only line-out was just a little better than the headphone out of the Pico DAC/amp confirming that point.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.  I also just read your T3 review.

Can you compare the line out to the headphone out (at 100%), both amplified with the Slim?

When I compared the HPO by itself, to the digital out (with my entire laptop rig), using my 250 ohm '03 880s, there was no "WOW this is better" from the digital source.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #138 of 963
Slightly OT, but I read a review of an asynch USB DAC recently where the reviewer claimed that it was *worse* than its much cheaper brother --until-- he plugged a cheapie powered USB hub into his Macbook, whereupon it transformed from Clark Kent to Superman (his analogy, not mine). The DAC in question was the HRT Streamer Pro, a particularly demanding piece of kit that requires the owner to shell out for an adapter from someone like Cardas just to hook it up to your rig (not a cheap exercise from the reviewers experience), but I found it interesting that the addition of a (gasp..) wallwart-powered hub had such a profound impact on the DAC - just one more thing to bear in mind when evaluating the DAC you want to hook up to that iPad. Suddenly the Classic->Toucan->Boomslang stack doesnt seem quite so over-the-top : all battery powered and with a significantly nicer footprint for transportation.  

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #139 of 963
I believe there are some known issues with the HRT DACs and underpowered USB Hubs. My HRT Streamer 2 (not Pro) was distorting and cutting out when running off a Mac Mini's USB hub. I switched to a powered USB hub and it worked fine. It was a huge leap in SQ only insofar as it operated as it should (i.e., it didn't sound like ass). I wonder if that's what was going on with in the review you read.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #140 of 963
Power issues aside, if the biggest problem with the iPad's digital audio output is poor jitter management, it would seem that an external clock/spdif converter would be just the ticket for bringing the iPad's transport up to snuff. The Halide Bridge would probably still need a T3 or a plug-in hub since it outputs 6.3 volts after filtering and down-converting the 5v of USB power into twin streams, but it has a great form factor. Has anybody tried one with the iPad yet?

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #141 of 963
Monkey, that was exactly the reviewers point - that someone hearing the Pro straight from the USB port would have been severely unimpressed, but the addition of the hub showed him what it was capable of. You do know that Clark Kent was always Superman under that suit and those dorky glasses, dont you ? He just needed a powered hub, er, phone booth !

I ran this past Chris Connaker at Computer Audiophile, but he is strongly opposed to anything which requires the addition of mains power, particularly from a wallwart, simply to achieve USB operation. I can see his point, but if it takes a ladder to get you on a real horse, sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and put your foot on the bottom rung :)

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #142 of 963

AI believe there are some known issues with the HRT DACs and underpowered USB Hubs. My HRT Streamer 2 (not Pro) was distorting and cutting out when running off a Mac Mini's USB hub. I switched to a powered USB hub and it worked fine. It was a huge leap in SQ only insofar as it operated as it should (i.e., it didn't sound like ass). I wonder if that's what was going on with in the review you read.

Hey Din

Do you have to max out your windows volume with the streamer, like it says you have to in the PDF?

E

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #143 of 963
Hm, I don't recall, but will check.  (I set it up for my parents, so will need to check next time I'm there.)

And I was definitely disappointed about the need for the hub, but it sounds much better now that it doesn't cut out constantly.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've also read reports that the HRTs work better on some USB ports than others, even on the same machine.  But estreeter, your post makes sense, if you're going to use the HRT it would appear that you need the powered hub to ensure you are getting the actual specified performance of the device.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #145 of 963
So my six-year-old PowerBook, in the same exact setup (a/b > Devilsound v2 > powered hub > Alesis RA150 > ALO speaker tap > HE-6) sounds noticeably better than the iPad > Camera Connector. So all I need to do now is get a balanced DAC and a Halide Bridge, and it should catch up to the PowerBook at that point. Too bad that would cost me more than a top-of-the-line iPad; I'll stick to the PowerBook for now, and I won't have to stream my entire ALAC library anymore either. Also I like using iTunes much better than the iPod and Stream To Me apps that I was using on the iPad to play music.

I am now considering selling my iPad, as I really don't have a good use for it. It is a fun toy/remote control, maybe I'll get a newer one later when they add more RAM and a camera. But I would rather use a laptop for traveling overnight or longer, and for playing music at home. The remote app was fun, I wouldn't mind that on an iPhone or an iPod Touch if I had one.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #146 of 963

Quote:
if you're going to use the HRT it would appear that you need the powered hub to ensure you are getting the actual specified performance of the device.

That may be the case for the Pro, but I bought a Belkin hub yesterday and my initial impressions were that I prefer it without the added hassle of the hub - problem being that I was tired and irritable after a crap day at work. I plan to spend more time switching between the two on the weekend, but I really have to ask if we are just making things harder than they need to be - suddenly something like the QLS QA-350, limited though it may be in capacity terms, would solve a lot of the mucking about that we go through with things like the iPad and various computer-based solutions.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #147 of 963
I was able to get my Predator working with the iPad camera kit> Dt. Bott T3> Predator.  One thing I noticed is that with the new OS it seems that once something is attached to the connector you can't increase the volume.  Thus, you need to do this before you connect everything since the Predator needs the volume to be at the max to work.

While it does work, it is not an ideal portable set up - too many pieces attached to the iPad, especially for airplane travel.  It is time to look for plan B.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #148 of 963

Quote:
I was able to get my Predator working with the iPad camera kit> Dt. Bott T3> Predator.  One thing I noticed is that with the new OS it seems that once something is attached to the connector you can't increase the volume.  Thus, you need to do this before you connect everything since the Predator needs the volume to be at the max to work.

While it does work, it is not an ideal portable set up - too many pieces attached to the iPad, especially for airplane travel.  It is time to look for plan B.

Well that's good information, at least, thanks.  But I agree with you about it being too much stuff, and I have basically decided to use the line out of my iPad when I am on the road.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #149 of 963
I'm thinking about looking into one of the new archos tablets. They have both usb and mini hdmi out. I don't know if digital audio could be access through usb though. If it could, that may be the ideal solution for me. No camera kit or hubs, just one usb cable. Based on the specs, they are both lighter and thinner than the ipad. I would still keep my ipad because I love everything else it does, but I'm disappointed with the way apple has to control everything which isn't fair because if you buy it,  you should be able to have control over it's capabilities. It's like my mom telling me not to go outside because it's too cold and I might get sick, then locks me up in my room.

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #150 of 963
Or just get a new iPad in Q1 2011, which will have a USB port--hopefully not just for charging. Even if it is just for charging, it should take care of the voltage reduction issue when plugged in to AC at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back