LISA III Available for Order
Jan 7, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #677 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be info here LLP Power Supply eSnips Folder

DIY...I think not. I suck at soldering!

Prefab link???

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #679 of 1,070
Does most of you using Lisa III as desktop amp or still portable amp?
and I have mixed collection of headphones, so if bought this amp, should I gone for high gain or low gain?

I primarily use, K701 (60 ohm/Current hungry), D2000 (25 ohm), Yuin PK-1 (as Portable headphone/150 ohm). I wish they made the desktop version of Lisa III with gain switch
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #680 of 1,070
Jan 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #681 of 1,070
So what #'s are considered low and high gain for the Lisa III?

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #682 of 1,070
I'd go with low gain, at least for the XP. Using 650s I can't get the volume knob past 9:00. My e500 are unusable with the XP, as the range between silence and punishingly loud is negligible.

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #683 of 1,070
The choice of gain also depends on what sources you normally use. If you use portable devices, the line out voltage is usually lower than what you will get from a desktop / home component. For example, if one is primarily using an iPod for listening, a higher gain (default ?) would be more appropriate. On the other hand, if you are connecting the LISA III to a home CD player, you will typicall get 2 - 2.2 V rms from the analogue out and so a lower gain setting would be more appropriate.

This is in additional to the choice of headphones, of course. We should also note that Phil design the LISA III making it clear that he did not design it for low impedance IEMs. However, if one wants to stick to IEM for most listening, he can asked to have the gain tuned for that application - for an extra charge.

If I remember correctly, the final default gain setting chosen by Phil should be o.k. for most listening conditions, but YMMV.

F. Lo

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #684 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does most of you using Lisa III as desktop amp or still portable amp?
and I have mixed collection of headphones, so if bought this amp, should I gone for high gain or low gain?

I primarily use, K701 (60 ohm/Current hungry), D2000 (25 ohm), Yuin PK-1 (as Portable headphone/150 ohm). I wish they made the desktop version of Lisa III with gain switch
frown.gif

I am using the LISA III XP as a desktop amp. ( I have more portable amps to carry along if I really want to be "mobile").

The LISA III drives the K701 with ease and authority - it can produce enough current to let the K701 really shine. I have very good experience with all Grados on the LISA III as well. I remember one head-fier saying that the LISA III is the only reason for him to keep the K701
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #685 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not evaluated this power cable as of yet however it gets good reviews.
Revelation Audio Labs: power cables for Product ainfo and hear for a review On Sound and Music: A Journal of Pro and High-End Audio and other things that Matter

Hi Phil, Yes, the RAL cables are very good. I am a fan of Brad's cable - having owned the Precept II, Paradise IC (RCA-RCA, mini-mini, mini-RCA) and headphone cables (HD650 single end, K701 balanced). The RAL cables really deliver the goods and craftmanship is best in class. I like the solderless termination that Brad is using, and doing that on soft silver is not everyone's competence.

I did inquire about a custom made DC-DC cord for the LISA-LLP (2.1mm x 10 mm plug). A 8" cord will cost me US$90 plus shipment which in my opinion is a bit steep. So I passed that time. I also asked [AK]zip to make me one but since he cannot source good quality plugs to my specification part of the purpose of having a custom cord cannot be fulfilled. So, now, I am still hanging on with the "stock" DC cord that comes with the LLP.

But the more I think about it, the more I would like to pull the trigger and get Brad's cable.

Unfortunately, the popularity of his cables, and the fame arising, have come to haunt him - as long waiting time has caused a lot of concern from buyers and I heard that RAL is recently banned by Audiogon. For those who what to have Brad's cable, please bear this in mind.

F. Lo

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #686 of 1,070
What the heck, RAL banned from audiogon?
What happen? I'm happen about to recable my K701 w RAL.
Sorry abit off here.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #687 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the heck, RAL banned from audiogon?
What happen? I'm happen about to recable my K701 w RAL.
Sorry abit off here.

Here is the discussion thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/re...diogon-282517/

I think the key issues is delayed delivery, and not may buyers are that tolerant in this commercial world where customers are king.

But you can still approach Brad direct if you want to go for it. He is very approachable and usually replies inquires within 2 days. But you would be more patient if you assume your cables won't be ready in at least 8 weeks time.

The way Brad make his cable is simply painstakingly labour intensive - and he was having some problem to meet the demand.

On the other hand, despite a long wait I always got what I want from Brad - in good shape.

F. Lo

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #688 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Phil, Yes, the RAL cables are very good. I am a fan of Brad's cable - having owned the Precept II, Paradise IC (RCA-RCA, mini-mini, mini-RCA) and headphone cables (HD650 single end, K701 balanced). The RAL cables really deliver the goods and craftmanship is best in class. I like the solderless termination that Brad is using, and doing that on soft silver is not everyone's competence.

I did inquire about a custom made DC-DC cord for the LISA-LLP (2.1mm x 10 mm plug). A 8" cord will cost me US$90 plus shipment which in my opinion is a bit steep. So I passed that time. I also asked [AK]zip to make me one but since he cannot source good quality plugs to my specification part of the purpose of having a custom cord cannot be fulfilled. So, now, I am still hanging on with the "stock" DC cord that comes with the LLP.

But the more I think about it, the more I would like to pull the trigger and get Brad's cable.

Unfortunately, the popularity of his cables, and the fame arising, have come to haunt him - as long waiting time has caused a lot of concern from buyers and I heard that RAL is recently banned by Audiogon. For those who what to have Brad's cable, please bear this in mind.

F. Lo

Thanks Francis for pointing this out, I am Sorry to Hear about deliverers problems from RAL and , This is one avenue that I personally want to avoid as folks hear know. We can all hope that in the future the Cryo cable will become available and the distribution issues will be solved, and or someone else figures out how to do quality solder less connections upon the material, Because as Francis pointed out this takes a great deal of Competence to make this type of connection correctly.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #689 of 1,070
Jan 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #690 of 1,070
I think it would depend upon the battery. My experience with using batteries in the past called into that very question until I started investigating the internal resistance of that "pure DC" from a battery. I like to use battery bias on my tubes but the wrong batteries can make the sound worse than a good old resistor or res +cap setup. SLA batteries have a higher internal resistance and while good for some things, are not my preference for audio unless bypassed with a few good extremely low esr capacitors. So I can see where a good zilch resistance power supply could be the best thing going. I do like eneloop batteries very much and they do have a nice low internal resistance but then that is in AA or AAA NiMH. Now these in the XP might be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back