Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 17, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #483 of 1,717
pico4.jpg

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #485 of 1,717
Lovely picture
wink.gif
These cans always seem to look great in photos!
I might up some pics with them beside the matching AT-HPP5 case some time this week.
Quote:

Originally Posted by palestofwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh, mine will only arrive end of this or early next month...

Ouch, what's with the long wait? Places running low on stock these days?

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #487 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by LocrEpinS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lovely picture
wink.gif
These cans always seem to look great in photos!
I might up some pics with them beside the matching AT-HPP5 case some time this week.

They look even better in real life
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #488 of 1,717
I've had mine running 24/7 for 2 days and they seem a little smoother with burn-in, but sound signature and frequency response is the same. This don't make huge changes like the Ultrasones do, that's for sure. They are more like an HD600 that becomes more refined with age but sounds pretty much the same.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #489 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I had an opportunity to listen to the ESW9 and the ESW10jpn side by side at the Tampa Meet. I used them in the context for which I would buy them for - Transportable Cans.

To this effect I used an iPod Classic filled w/ Apple Lossless files. Using an ALO Six Shooter or an SXC I fed the following amps:

1. SR71
2. SR71A
3. Xin Reference
4. iBasso D3
5. iBasso P3
6. MiniBox-E+
7. Zen Portable Amp

IMO the ESW10jpn have way too much treble energy. To the point of being fatiguing after 15-30 minutes of use. They are also lighter in weight and need more power to reach the same sound pressure level.

The bass on the ESW9 is deeper and bigger, although a tiny bit looser. IMO and based on the meet comparison there is no way I would spend twice as much on the ESW10jpn. I will be getting a pair of ESW9's.

Thank you.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #490 of 1,717
I listened to the ESW10 last night for 1.5 hours straight with no fatigue from the sound, while my stock HFI780 could be tolerated for about 20-30 minutes at a time (till re-cabled). However, the reason I quit at 1.5 hours was due to the limitation of what I could tolerate from the supra-aural pads pressing against my ears.

In comparison, I can tolerate the Edition 9 or HD600 with new pads (or RS-1 flats or bowls) for about 1.5 - 2 hours before the pads and pressure of the headphones starts to bug me. I have listened to my D2000 and Stax O2 Mk2 (and HD600 with the old worn-flat pads) for as much as 4-5 hours at a time without ever reaching a limit on comfort.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #491 of 1,717
^ same here. I found ESW10 to have tiny bit of clamp than I would like, but can't ask more for portable cans....I can listen to 2-3 hours straight in my ESW10s and around 5 hours on my AD2K (after headband stretching) before I tire out of excitement of those cans give
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #493 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by discoscience /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my search for the perfect headphone is over. Well, over until I can afford to do more than feed myself.

I know people are going to say that you are being hyperbolic with this statement but I want to let you know, I feel you. I know what you mean. Sometimes there is something that comes along and it really does feel perfect and I agree with you on this one.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #495 of 1,717
I'm actually NOT completely satisfied with my ESW10JPNs.

Of course, I've only been using them for like 6 hours and should wait for more burn-in, but right now, the vocal seem much... repressed? Everything else is perfect though (both sonically and aesthetically)

I had the same problem with my TF10s, and recabling them w/ null-audio fixed that problem for me. Ill repost after I gave these cans a proper burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back