Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #286 of 1,717
Good thing i preordered an amp or i would have bought one of these on impulse too in addition to my 9's. I need another pair of headphones like a hole in the head at this point, or should i say if another pair of headphones show up on my desk my wife will put a hole in my head. Now the trick will be to slide a tube amp somewhere not so obvious.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #287 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This case on audio cubes works great for the 9's and members say they will also fit the 10's. It has a removable pouch for your hp amp or dap...

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone looking to get rid of their ESW9?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am. Send me a PM.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #288 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally listening to both my esw9s and esw10s after they sat at the post office for a week. The 9s have a few hundred hours on them; the 10s have about three hours. Although I was somewhat mad at myself for buying the 10s on a impulse, knowing the last thing I needed was another pair of headphones, all I can say at this very early point, and listening so far just straight from an ipod, is that I damn glad I did! The 10's own the 9s in pretty much every way, especially in a tighter bass, and better upper midrange. I was afraid there would be more treble emphasis than I like, as a later pair of 9s than mine that I heard had more treble energy, but not so. These have the sound signature of the 9s, but cleaner and more balanced, and slightly improved soundstage. I'm liking pretty much everything about them.

I'll get back later when new-toy love as worn off a bit, and I have some more hours on them, but so far, my very preliminary report is that I couldn't be happier.

I sure am glad you are not disappointed...they only get better with time. That is you realize just how right they sound.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #289 of 1,717
Vicki was one of the first trailblazers on the 9's.

I trust her impressions/comparisons implicitly.

Her choice of food, on the other hand...
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #290 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

evil_smiley.gif

lol why? If it's less gross than tempura-battered twinkies, I'm up for a snack
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #291 of 1,717
the best price for the 10's is from where? ...I want to order a pair to go with Ray's new P-51 Mustang and a Nano. Small is good.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #293 of 1,717
Quote:

This case on audio cubes works great for the 9's and members say they will also fit the 10's. It has a removable pouch for your hp amp or dap.

I have that case for the 9s, and bought it for the 10s. It's a great case, but there is no removable pouch. There's a pouch that the pico fits in perfectly, and there's also room to put your ipod/dap in, but nothing is removable, at least not on mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

evil_smiley.gif

rolleyes.gif

You, my friend, might be pleased to know that I tried cheese the other day. It had been a few years, so it was strange, but not a bad experience overall. See you in Tampa!

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #297 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boomana, how do they deal with rock music (if you listen to 70's rock, that is)?

They sound great with classic rock, better than the 9s, which was one genre that didn't fare as well as others with the 9s. I was using the 9s more with acoustic-based music, small combo jazz, etc. I just did a few hours of random rock and 80s punk with the 10s. The 9s couldn't handle that. These can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my HPP5 case comes with a small removable pouch that velcros to the inside cover that fits a pico or ipod.

You're right! After your first post, I went back and checked. I didn't even notice it was removable before. Great little case.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #298 of 1,717
Ricey20's right, it does come with a little velcro-backed pouch.
I'd earlier assumed it was sowed in because of the way it's designed, but it is indeed removable after a closer look.

I guess if you're intending to place an amp in there as well as a large iPod, one of them will have to be in it's own case(unless you want to risk scratching those shiny ESW10s) since the pouch supplied just fits my (fat)iPod 6G 160GB.
Would've been great if it came with 2; stick one to each side. I guess i'm dreaming
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #299 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound great with classic rock, better than the 9s, which was one genre that didn't fare as well as others with the 9s. I was using the 9s more with acoustic-based music, small combo jazz, etc. I just did a few hours of random rock and 80s punk with the 10s. The 9s couldn't handle that. These can.

Thanks Boomana! that's great to hear. That was my one small problem with ESW9s (which my gf has) - which was that it wasn't very spectacular with type of rock I listen to (Genesis, floyd, zepplin, cream, gentle giant, ELO, etc). They are pretty darn good for classical music, especially something like string quartet.

So I can say bye-bye to TF10s for certain
wink.gif
those darned things were just uncomfortable (any IEM in general, for me).

I guess tightened bass really helped that a lot for rock music!
My pair should arrive in either monday or tues, so I'll chip in with some impressions.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #300 of 1,717
Quote:

I highly doubt it as I just tried to fit a pair of 225's and they would fit very snug and I really did not want to mash them into place to find out. So, considering the raised cups on the RS1's you will end up damaging them if you force them in place.

Thank you very much for the reply :) I'll have to keep looking for a nice protective bag/case for the HP-2...

Interesting comments about the ESW10 Boomana. Why do you think the ESW10 suit rock better than the ESW9?
How about isolation? I'd like to get some portable over-ear cans that provide some isolation, but not as much as IEM like Tri.fi Pros. Would these be OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back