Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #301 of 1,717
they have decent isolation, you don't hear too much noise, but do hear traffic etc.
[size=xx-small]there is a special grado bag, haven't received mine yet but they should fit all but GS1000: eBay[/size]

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #302 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they have decent isolation, you don't hear too much noise, but do hear traffic etc.
[size=xx-small]there is a special grado bag, haven't received mine yet but they should fit all but GS1000: eBay[/size]

Thanks mate, that bag seems good enough. It's a pity they don't show pics of the insides to see the "modular" construction, and how soft it is to protect the HP-2 lettering, which is very delicate.

For your comments about the ESW10 isolation, they could be just what I'm looking for. I need to hear a telephone ringing, which sometimes is difficult using IEMs despite my not listening at loud levels.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #303 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your comments about the ESW10 isolation, they could be just what I'm looking for. I need to hear a telephone ringing, which sometimes is difficult using IEMs despite my not listening at loud levels.

icon10.gif
oops, I just missed a phone call while listening to my pair. Once you get into the music, the sound of a phone ringing will be all but blocked out IMO.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #304 of 1,717
Depends on how loud you listen, and proximity to the phone. I was listening in my office on Friday, and my phone jolted me out of the trance I was in from the ESW10jpns. The phone is within arms reach though.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #305 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on how loud you listen, and proximity to the phone. I was listening in my office on Friday, and my phone jolted me out of the trance I was in from the ESW10jpns. The phone is within arms reach though.

That sounds about right. If the phone's within your eyesight, you would probably be able to hear it. In my case, I was listening at home and the phone was in another room. Don't count on being able to hear a cell ringing though, unless you've the ringtone set at an obnoxiously high volume, better to put it on vibrator instead.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #306 of 1,717
Damn it Vickie... you're making me want to try these out.
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #307 of 1,717
Thanks mates, just what I wanted to know. The phone is actually a cell set up to sound quite aloud, but using IEMs I don't hear it very well depending on the music unless I set music volume really low. The ESW10 would be just right I guess.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #308 of 1,717
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I've decided to keep my hd25s as my portable phones. I love them yes. But mainly because they isolate perfectly and take the beating. So a probable no for esw10's..
frown.gif

I've been doing some reading though, and many of you who regularly visit this thread have or have had the ad2000, to which, after hearing salamanders comment, i gave more thought on. In other words I want contrast in my home-rig.

People have held both of these phones in high regards, both in their own contexts of course. And what i've yet to hear, is a more detailed comparison between the ad2000 and this (Always need a reference, not to get completely carried away). I know that the woodies (in overall, i think) sound somewhat warm and lush, while the ad2000's signature is quite far from typical audio-technicas.. It is probably more airy, has better soundstage and is more refined in general. Still it seems to hold that involving midrange/vocals, good dynamics, full body etc. But then again i read someone stating that they might have a slight problem with sibilance, and that some bass-kick seems to be lacking.

Especially pointed towards salamander, for making my life miserable
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you think the ad2000 have "kick" in anyway the woodies have? That's my main concern. I want to feel the music! Do these deliver?

Thanks

-K

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #309 of 1,717
which woodies do you speak of? W5000? W11JPN? W10VTG? W2002? W1000? They all sound vastly different IMO. I've only heard W5000, W1000. And W2002 in very short duration (4 songs). W5000 is completely different animal than AD2K. W5000 was very balanced, detail-oriented and accurate IMO. Think K701 on massive steroids.

AD2K on the other hand, puts less emphasis on detail (still has great level of detail, but not as noticible) and more on "fun" factor - extremely fast bass response (not a huge bass, but I would say above average quantity) with short decay. And has quite a bit of bass impact (try marche slave with 3 thunderous timpani drums) that will make you giggle like a schoolgirl. Midrange vocal that is very lush and full. Treble is not emphasized, but it's not rolled off either - very linear. Has decent soundstage, but not enough to feel distant from the music itself - very engaging set of cans.

The only fault I see in AD2Ks are lack of treble "sparkle" but that's nitpicking. Great all around cans.

and here are some impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...ad2000-302281/

and far awesomer review from elephas: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ad2000-120019/

ASR's loaner program:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/7-p...am-1-a-229452/

Asr's review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...ad2000-199739/

if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #311 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]offtopic: gradobag inside and see a thread in the sponsor forum (hifiheadphones) [/size]

We get the point about the case. You don't need to keep posting about it.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #312 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We get the point about the case. You don't need to keep posting about it.

having a bad day, are we?
someone inquired about the inside of the case, and the poster obliged by posting a link to a different picture showing such. seems helpful enough to me.

on topic: can anyone provide more impressions on how well the ESW10 scales with better gear?

portability with an iPod is nice, but for the asking price i would hope that it could serve double-duty as a home headphone, and show improvement commensurate with the associated equipment.

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #313 of 1,717
they scale pretty well, sound fine out of an iPod, the Hornet brings just that extra bit of life into them, and my Solo just improves it even further. makes them more clean, better bass. maybe not right up to the level of HD650/SR325i but that's mainly because I'm more used to these and you still notice the esw10 sitting on your head, they don't fall away as the others do for me.
I did however hear some details that I never noticed before.
lets say that for the moment I've stopped thinking about getting closed cans for home use, they do very well.

[size=xx-small]ah well... maybe I should have just sent a PM about that case, it is off-topic.[/size]

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #314 of 1,717
I'm thinking about bying these as a portable alternative to IEM:s. Since I will use them at school and an office where other people work I need to know how much the music leak to the surroundings. Would I disturb my collegues if I use ESW10 in the office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back