Light Harmonic GEEK
Feb 8, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,397 of 1,658
Is there a setting to use this as a real line out, so I can just use the (fine) DA converter, run it into my Ray Samuels, HR-2, and have the juice to drive the 560 (or into the Koss electrostatic amp)?
Thanks

Ah! I just figured something out. I re-re-re-reread Larry's comments about the 1.5 firmware update.
http://lhlabs.com/force/geekout/2081-geek-out-firmware-1v5-upgrades-and-change-log
2) New Master and Individual Channel Volume features:

To keep the bit perfect as long as possible. Although I still leave the master volume and individual channel volume control there. But the behavior is slightly different.

When you set MASTER volume to MAX. (-0dbFS), you could adjust the left and right channel to adjust the BALANCE. And keep the other channel Bit Perfect… This is GREAT for the people who use Geek Out as Line Out and want to have Balance feature

If Master volume is not set to Max, then mater volume’s setting will be applied to both channels.

I just tried this in OS X. With the master slider on maximum (0 dB), you can adjust the two analogue sliders to whatever your volume preferences are and as Larry said, it's bit-perfect. One thing to keep in mind is that in OS X, the volume controls affect the master volume. In Windows, the volume controls affect the analogue volume.

So it looks like you can use the GO with this quasi-line-out option by having bit-perfect audio being inputted into your external amplifier.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,398 of 1,658
  Is there anyone else who has a Geek Out Signature Edition?
How would you compare its sound to other DACs such as iDSD, Sony PHA-3, etc?

Thanks

I have never heard the PHA-3 and my time with the iDSD was extremely limited so I cannot make a comparison with my SE. @Stillhart may be able to provide a comparison of the GO SE with a few others.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,399 of 1,658
Is there a setting to use this as a real line out, so I can just use the (fine) DA converter, run it into my Ray Samuels, HR-2, and have the juice to drive the 560 (or into the Koss electrostatic amp)?
Thanks

Ah! I just figured something out. I re-re-re-reread Larry's comments about the 1.5 firmware update.
http://lhlabs.com/force/geekout/2081-geek-out-firmware-1v5-upgrades-and-change-log
2) New Master and Individual Channel Volume features:

To keep the bit perfect as long as possible. Although I still leave the master volume and individual channel volume control there. But the behavior is slightly different.

When you set MASTER volume to MAX. (-0dbFS), you could adjust the left and right channel to adjust the BALANCE. And keep the other channel Bit Perfect… This is GREAT for the people who use Geek Out as Line Out and want to have Balance feature

If Master volume is not set to Max, then mater volume’s setting will be applied to both channels.

I just tried this in OS X. With the master slider on maximum (0 dB), you can adjust the two analogue sliders to whatever your volume preferences are and as Larry said, it's bit-perfect. One thing to keep in mind is that in OS X, the volume controls affect the master volume. In Windows, the volume controls affect the analogue volume.

So it looks like you can use the GO with this quasi-line-out option by having bit-perfect audio being inputted into your external amplifier.

Hmmm, have to give this a try...so it would work by moving both sliders down the same amount, like some gear with 2 volume controls...Ze Plot Sickens!!!!:xf_eek:

I tried using the GO SE with my Koss ESP-950, first got clipping, then JRiver crashed. It was very sad. Have to try it this way. Thanks.

As far as the GO SE comparisons, I'm happy to do them, as I said (send all your gear for comparison to my lab in New Jersey, postage paid, include your return address on a shiny $100, as Click and Clack used to say), but I didn't think it was available as a product after that short offer during the original crowdfunding program. Did I miss something? Not sure if I would buy it now, when the Pulse Xfi isn't so much more, unless you really NEED to be able to put it in your pocket.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,400 of 1,658
Is there anyone else who has a Geek Out Signature Edition?
How would you compare its sound to other DACs such as iDSD, Sony PHA-3, etc?

Thanks

Haven't bothered with the sony gear outside of the players since the PHA-1 sucked terribly.

The iDSD micro and nano sound like crap compared to the Geek out SE.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,401 of 1,658

wow.  owned nano for a short time, sold it to go micro.
I can imagine GOutSE besting the nano.  but if it beats the iDSD micro, i need to borrow your (or someones) Geek Out SE for sure! ha!
popcorn.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,403 of 1,658
So, it seems silly to spend tons of time comparing it to other gear. I don't mind, really love my SE (now that it functioning almost perfectly-still can only control volume through LH app), and I enjoy comparing gear (heck, what is anyone DOING on Head Fi if they don't), but I get the sense it is being considered for purchase. I suppose one of the original purchasers may put it in the For Sale thread at some point.
Seems, if you don't mind the larger, desktop size, the versions of Pulse Xfi (infinite, infinite +1, infinite +tube buffer, even more infinite...), should be even better than the SE...

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,405 of 1,658
I'd expect it would as well. I think of the Special Edition as sort of a trial run for the upgrades on the Pulse. Seems, if they could do so much in the confines of the tiny GO case, they should be able to knock it out of the park with all the room and options they have in the Pulse. I'm waiting for Siul/Vi tube with a ridiculous number of upgrades as well,likely have a considerably longer wait, likely even more perks to resist or succumb to, more likely the latter...

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,406 of 1,658
I have never heard the PHA-3 and my time with the iDSD was extremely limited so I cannot make a comparison with my SE. @Stillhart
 may be able to provide a comparison of the GO SE with a few others.

Then, how about other DACs under $700? Is Geek Out SE the best in that price range?

Haven't bothered with the sony gear outside of the players since the PHA-1 sucked terribly.

That's true. I had Sony's PHA-2 and it sucked terribly. But this new PHA-3 is different. It has two clocks and two sabre chips. Have you heard other DACs under $700?

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,407 of 1,658
Then, how about other DACs under $700? Is Geek Out SE the best in that price range?

I can say that it's the best DAC/amp I've personally owned but I haven't owned any combo unit in the same price range before it. The standalone DACs I've had extensive time with don't fall in the same price range. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are better desktop units out there for the price. You make compromises when you create a small USB DAC stick device, concessions that don't necessarily have to be made when working with full size equipment.

Out of curiosity, do you have someone offering to sell you one? There aren't many out there and the other owners that I know are holding on to theirs.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,408 of 1,658
I can say that it's the best DAC/amp I've personally owned but I haven't owned any combo unit in the same price range before it. The standalone DACs I've had extensive time with don't fall in the same price range. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are better desktop units out there for the price. You make compromises when you create a small USB DAC stick device, concessions that don't necessarily have to be made when working with full size equipment.

Out of curiosity, do you have someone offering to sell you one? There aren't many out there and the other owners that I know are holding on to theirs.

Yes, someone's going to sell it to me for $700. I'm nott sure if it's better than DAPs and other DACs in this price range.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,409 of 1,658
That's true. I had Sony's PHA-2 and it sucked terribly. But this new PHA-3 is different. It has two clocks and two sabre chips. Have you heard other DACs under $700?

I am using a DAC under $700 right now. I'm using a Sonic Frontiers TransDAC and it's glorious.

I use the Pulse at work with UERMs and the Wyrd > Ciunas > TransDAC stack to a Ragnarok for my speakers/HD800/Abyss at home.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,410 of 1,658

I am using a DAC under $700 right now. I'm using a Sonic Frontiers TransDAC and it's glorious.

I use the Pulse at work with UERMs and the Wyrd > Ciunas > TransDAC stack to a Ragnarok for my speakers/HD800/Abyss at home.

Interesting... so how does Geek Out SE sound compare to them? Does it make sense to pay 700 dollars for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back