Light Harmonic GEEK
Sep 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,216 of 1,658
  Darn, I actually use my GOs with Mac mainly.  I want the physical volume controls, I use them with the lid closed and don't have to open the laptop.  Also use the 3D on/off too.

Won't upgrade the FW if I lose that functionality.  (Would like to hear the new FW though._

Totally understand the needs can be different between users.  Maybe have more than one version of the FW available?  That would be a pain, I know...

You can do this better a number of ways that also provide playlist control, etc. without the possibility of having and device level volume issues.

1) Screenshare into it from whatever computer you use
2) Use Splashtop Streamer screensharing from any any iDevice
3) With JRMC you can just use JRemote

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,217 of 1,658
  Hi,

We have a lengthy discussion for the new firmware release. 

And I think we follow Geek Force's suggestions:

We will change the buttons feature from volume control to 3D on/off and digital filter switching. 

So there will be no confusion....

Cheers,

Larry

Out of curiosity, I just purchased a GO720, an Apple Camera Connection Kit, an external USB battery, and a USB power Y cable with the intention of listening to the GO720 on the go with my iPhone/iPad.

Questions:
  • If those change from volume buttons on the unit, would I be able to change the volume using the iPhone volume buttons?
  • If using the inferior digital volume on the iPhone, am I subject to the same SQ degradation due to losing bits of data, or is there something about the GO that I don't know?

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #1,218 of 1,658
  CeeTee,

Do you still use the GO with your HD 600? I'm considering purchasing an HD 600 to pair with my GO 720.  I'm currently using the GO as my desktop DAC, and its 47 ohm port is connected to my studio monitors.  Is the .47 ohm port adequate for driving the 600's?  Which port do you use?

I do still dig GO 450 with HD600.  Not the cleanest/most resolving because of HD600, but a fantastic all-around and reasonable in size/cost/performance combo.  I think GO 450/HD600 is a great little combo and I use the 0.47 ohm out.

I recently got a GO 720 and find it a little more u-shaped than the GO 450.  (I find the GO 1000 definitely a bit u-shaped, but nice with HD800 and classical/acoustic). I'll have to do a comparison when I am listening to HD600 again and try them with 450/720/1000.  Will report back.  I appreciate the sharing on this thread!  (Still have to tape the pin on my USB Y-cable too.)

Right now I am messing around with GO 450 to Vali to HD800.  Need to move everything around and try to get the Crack on my desk.

Another thing that I have been doing is using Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head Software (I have three presets) while watching Amazon Prime on my MacBook Air with Geek Outs.  It's fun.  Audio lags a little behind due to streaming and processing, but after a bit it is enjoyable, you kind of forget about the processing, and it adds to the fun of watching on a tiny laptop.  I'll slowly test through my phones and the 3 presets I chose.   

Having fun rotating phones and combos, haven't had enough time to really test everything against each other to see which ones I will keep long term.  When I had GO 100 prototype, 450, 1000, the 100 and 450 were pretty close in tonality with the 450 definitely more powerful.  The 1000 was U-shaped so I sold it but then I missed it so I bought it back.
blink.gif
  When a blue 720 popped up, I was curious (and also really like the blue color) so I nabbed it.  Don't know if I will keep them all, especially with ODAC in the house and Geek Wave portables coming in 2015.  The 450 is my overall favorite but they are all good enough that having at least one around for versatility/performance is a good idea.  Three is greedy, I know.  
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,219 of 1,658
Sep 16, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #1,220 of 1,658
  I do still dig GO 450 with HD600.  Not the cleanest/most resolving because of HD600, but a fantastic all-around and reasonable in size/cost/performance combo.  I think GO 450/HD600 is a great little combo and I use the 0.47 ohm out

Thanks! That's great to hear. I've already ordered the HD600, so I'm relieved that it runs well out of the .47 ohm port of the GO.  (Someone posted the same on the LH Labs forums.)  My GO720 is from the latest and presumably final production run, and it's matte black.  I'll be bringing it to the Bay Area mini meet this Sunday to see how it matches up with other headphones. Regarding it's tonality, when I first received it in late August I thought the mids sounded a bit recessed, but after several weeks of use it doesn't feel that way any more.  Maybe I've gotten used to it, but  it now matches up very nicely with my Airmotiv monitors. It will be interesting to get some feedback from others at the meet.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,222 of 1,658
Firmware will sound definitely better. As per to Larry volume buttons will be reassigned as: 3D on/off and Filter changer/selector.

So no more volume jumps (I hope).

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,224 of 1,658
I seemed to have forgotten that there are two geekout threads.  I received my GO100 the other day and finally had a chance to sit down and listen tonight.  At first the sound was horrendous and tinny coming form my JH13's I then unplugged the little bugger and plugged it back in only to find out that the volume jumps to 100, at least I didn't have anything playing so I didn't get blasted.  It also helps once you make sure that the phones are plugged all the way in :p.  I could however slightly hear the hiss at 100, it doesn't seem to get louder or lower as I slide the volume level form min to max, although there is still an odd interference noise sometimes when slider the volume bar.  The hiss is still there with my 13's however not nearly as bad as the 450 and I doubt that many would notice it except for in silent passages.  It is a great improvement for sure.  As far as volume level I typically listen between 15 and 25 depending on the track.  I must say I am quite impressed with the 100 and I hope that they release the updated firmware soon.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,226 of 1,658
I am really enjoying the GO100 so much so that I have not even tried it with the P627M. I have also compared it to the dx90 and I prefer the 100 to the 90. I wasn't expecting that, so as such I have decided to send the dx90 back. Listening was performed on both with level 10 Oggs.

It appears that Meridian is liquidating the explorers as ttvj had a huge sale last month and audio advisor through Amazon still has 3 new ME's left after I purchased one for 145. I feel it is a no brainier at this cost. I can't wait to see how it stands up to the go100.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #1,227 of 1,658
I am really enjoying the GO100 so much so that I have not even tried it with the P627M. I have also compared it to the dx90 and I prefer the 100 to the 90. I wasn't expecting that, so as such I have decided to send the dx90 back. Listening was performed on both with level 10 Oggs.

It appears that Meridian is liquidating the explorers as ttvj had a huge sale last month and audio advisor through Amazon still has 3 new ME's left after I purchased one for 145. I feel it is a no brainier at this cost. I can't wait to see how it stands up to the go100.

It doesn't :)

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,229 of 1,658
I have the explorer and the GO720 and 450. There is no application in which I prefer the explorer.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,230 of 1,658

It doesn't :)

Seems like apples and oranges to me...I have the GO1K and the dx90, 1K is great connected to my PC, through JRiver. Don't always want to be tethered to computer, though (I've read about the set ups to use it with an iPad and the like, very kludgy, multiple pieces involved, marginally portable, can take to another room, but not out walking, say). I love my DX90, use it in bed, on dog walks, etc. I think you're right in that the amp section of it isn't as good as it could be. I use it either line out to my Ray Samuesl HR-2 (with an attenuator for iems), next to my bed, or, up until now, Line Out into ALO National for walks and other portable/on the go listening. Great sounding this way, the digital portion of DX90 is fine indeed. I just got Cayin C5, just arrived past 2 days, charging/burning, but my initial impression is that this is an even better amp for the DX90, fabulous sounding combo imo so far. Haven't done head to head with my other amps, at some point when I have time I may, but initial impression (I am wary of initial impressions, definitely subject to change but for what it's worth...) it is just a fabulous sounding combo. Not going to replace the GO1K (no head to head here either), any more than my portable gear is going to replace my living room stereo. My $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back