Light Harmonic GEEK
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #631 of 1,658
  I got a shipping notice on 4/17 and received my GEEK Out 450 today.  This thing is REALLY good, and was easily worth the wait for me.  Definitely better than the HRT Microstreamer on first listen.  Need to build a new cable to hook it up to my Schiit Vali and an adapter for some of my headphones before I can give it a good comparo to my Nuforce HDP and cDAC+ as sources and a combo.

Can it drive the HD800 OK?

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #633 of 1,658
  You are welcome too if you come into the city!

I know Cincy isn't that close to Chicago, but a big meet is being put together for late June.  Check my signature for details.

I'll have to check that out. I love visiting Chicagoland and the outlying suburbs which is why I've been there 3 times in the past 2 weeks, if you count my trip tomorrow to Plainfield. June is far enough out to be able to plan for it. Looks like a pretty sizable meet, I think I'll try for it. I'd love to meet some of the vendors and members on that list.

*edit* Megabus is my friend. To Chicago and back for under $30 usually unless I feel like driving. If it's in the city, I'll bus up and use the L to get around.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #635 of 1,658
  Anyone have volume setting issues in Windows?  As in it resets every time plugged/unplugged to maximum volume?

I haven't run into that issue yet with the Geek 450 and Windows 8.1 x64.  I haven't touched the physical buttons after Larry confirmed that we should be using the Windows volume control.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #636 of 1,658
  Can it drive the HD800 OK?

My 450 works well with the HD800!  Gets about as loud as I would ever listen at 50% volume.  It is better out of the 47ohm output to my ears as it has a little better bass.  Sounds better out of the 0.47ohm output with the HD650s.  I am hearing record noise more than I remember on my other DACs.  More to come as I am able to have time to build a switchbox so I don't have to constantly swap connectors.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #638 of 1,658
  FraGGleR.. how do you like the GO's DAC w/ the Vali?

Hey man, I was just about to officially ask that!   
so  +2
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #639 of 1,658
  FraGGleR.. how do you like the GO's DAC w/ the Vali?

It's quite good.  I prefer the Go/Vali combo with the HD800s better than just the Go.  Adds just a smidge of warmth and spaciousness that really make the HD800s shine.  I have all the parts for my multi in/out switchbox that I need for an in depth comparison, but not much time.

At $300ish for the combo, I'm not sure there is anything better that I have heard anywhere near that.  It surpasses my Nuforce HDP, which has been a longstanding favorite and excellent value.  I wish I still had my HifiM8 to compare, but I'm pretty sure I like the presentation of the Vali better than the M8 with my HD800s.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #641 of 1,658
Just received my black Geek Out 450. So far sounds great right out of the box but just a few questions I want to bring up. First, has anyone found that there's quite a bit of noise when using IEMs, especially with the 0.47 ohm output? My Heaven V (16 ohms) sounds absolutely terrible with the 0.47 ohm output because of the amount of noise I'm getting. It's usable on the 47 ohm output but I'm still hearing some noise with no music playing. My HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC has no noise compared to the Geek Out. Second, what buffer settings are people using? I'm not exactly sure what difference the settings make.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #643 of 1,658
  Are you playing it straight-out-of-the box @ 8x 48KHz (384KHz)?

Well only the light for 44.1K is on so I'm guessing that I'm not?

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #644 of 1,658
Just received my black Geek Out 450. So far sounds great right out of the box but just a few questions I want to bring up. First, has anyone found that there's quite a bit of noise when using IEMs, especially with the 0.47 ohm output? My Heaven V (16 ohms) sounds absolutely terrible with the 0.47 ohm output because of the amount of noise I'm getting. It's usable on the 47 ohm output but I'm still hearing some noise with no music playing. My HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC has no noise compared to the Geek Out. Second, what buffer settings are people using? I'm not exactly sure what difference the settings make.
Are you running the hifime straight out of the computer or do you also have a USB isolator?

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #645 of 1,658
Are you running the hifime straight out of the computer or do you also have a USB isolator?

I run both straight out of my laptop and the Sabre DAC has pretty much no noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back