Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jun 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #259 of 5,933
I believe they said they are going to upgrade the other enclosures as well, just not with this grade aluminium as it would be too costly. I guess if people wanted to pay for it though then why not.

THIS.

Kojaku

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #260 of 5,933
I agree. Stretch goals usually apply for all backers, not a specific few.

I agree. What they are doing is entice the non-XD backers to upgrade to XD.  I just hope they expand the market by creating new customer base instead of creaming their current customers.  Pono project was a success because they put the faces of these famous artists on YouTube.  LH should do the same.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #261 of 5,933
  I agree. What they are doing is entice the non-XD backers to upgrade to XD.  I just hope they expand the market by creating new customer base instead of creaming their current customers.  Pono project was a success because they put the faces of these famous artists on YouTube.  LH should do the same.

Pretty sure they're unable to do that. Pono is probably the only company capable of projecting star power. No "hi-fi company" has that kind of clout, whereas a good proportion of Pono backers got a player simply because there was a signature edition of their favorite artist. With regard to creating a new customer base, LH tried doing that with the Wave 32, but that's a product made at below cost. So that's the group they're trying to seduce.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #263 of 5,933
The campaign was extended for another 24 days.  What that does mean?

Hmmm.  Let's see.

Upgrade to add wifi - $200
Add a dock - $200
Update to TDH2 - $150
Add DLNA - $100
Add I2C - $100
Add USB to connect to NAS on the dock - $100
Bluetooth (APT-X) - $100
S/PDIF Out - $100
Integrated charging in dock - $150
Dual SDXC Slot - $100
..etc. etc...

Of course, those are not real.  What I am alluding to is this thing never ends.  At the end of the day, when you thought you got the best DAP to begin with, you'll realize it wasn't not until you add more crap that many fancy about.  This thing is no longer the DAP that I wanted - a simple DAP that just play pure music.  Now it's all diluted and there is no refund!

Let's go back to the original ad of the XD128:

"With Geek Wave XD 128, you have THE absolute best portable player money can buy. You have it all: a fully-balanced dual mono topology (there's two of almost everything in there). In addition, two extremely precise femto clocks are included."

Well, guess what, you don't have the absolute best portable player unless you pay more - IEM upgrade - $128, TDH upgrade - $168, DAD upgrade - $256... 
frown.gif
  False advertising?  MOM upgrade and SISTER upgrades are coming... and it just got rebooted again for another 24 days of new ideas to come!

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #264 of 5,933
"With Geek Wave XD 128, you have THE absolute best portable player money can buy. You have it all: a fully-balanced dual mono topology (there's two of almost everything in there). In addition, two extremely precise femto clocks are included."

Well, guess what, you don't have the absolute best portable player unless you pay more - IEM upgrade - $128, TDH upgrade - $168, DAD upgrade - $256... :frowning2:   False advertising?  MOM upgrade and SISTER upgrades are coming... and it just got rebooted again for another 24 days of new ideas to come!

Yeah so much for a "no compromise portable media player." Maybe it's "no compromise" if you shell out $1000+.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #265 of 5,933
Yea, I was initially pretty excited about the chance to get a Geek Wave 32 as a "loss leader" to be able to experience a very high quality musical experience at an affordable price.  I must admit, I opted for the dual dac set-up as well, but this is far as I'm going to go.  To be honest, watching all these modifications and add-ons and case choices, etc, etc, etc come by, I'm beginning to feel like the GW32 may be a bit of an old sock.  I really wish the Geek Wave Team would put out more detailed information on specs, UI and firmware on the basic models. Now this process is feeling akin to haggling with a car dealer over a new car...

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #267 of 5,933

I feel the same. I am hoping I can resist all perks, just get my 64 and accept it for what it is. 

Still, it's MUCH better than paying $2400 for an AK240 isn't it?

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #269 of 5,933
i m really slow gettg on to this, n just confused w the pricing...totally new to baaaacking this n tat :p

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #270 of 5,933
Yea, I was initially pretty excited about the chance to get a Geek Wave 32 as a "loss leader" to be able to experience a very high quality musical experience at an affordable price.  I must admit, I opted for the dual dac set-up as well, but this is far as I'm going to go.  To be honest, watching all these modifications and add-ons and case choices, etc, etc, etc come by, I'm beginning to feel like the GW32 may be a bit of an old sock.  I really wish the Geek Wave Team would put out more detailed information on specs, UI and firmware on the basic models. Now this process is feeling akin to haggling with a car dealer over a new car...

Yeah at this point I have absolutely no incentive to buy any of their perks. Dual DACs doesn't seem like it will add much, lower THD+N will only really help if the design was seriously flawed from the start (which by itself compromises the "no compromise" advertising), the IEM package costs basically the same price as the entire unit itself and seems quite ridiculous in that sense, and likewise for the femto clock. It seems like they're literally just tacking on things just to please the Geek Force people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back