Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #271 of 5,933
Yeah at this point I have absolutely no incentive to buy any of their perks. Dual DACs doesn't seem like it will add much, lower THD+N will only really help if the design was seriously flawed from the start (which by itself compromises the "no compromise" advertising), the IEM package costs basically the same price as the entire unit itself and seems quite ridiculous in that sense, and likewise for the femto clock. It seems like they're literally just tacking on things just to please the Geek Force people.

Yeah, keep in mind though that the base DAP will likely sound incredible.  All the additional tweaks just take things up a notch for those that are willing to shell out the extra.  It is certainly hitting the ceiling of the laws of diminishing returns.  If compared to the AK240 at $2500 its a bargain IMO.

Be Well

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #274 of 5,933
so sleek and minimal, the more I see it the more I like it.  Im sure there will be further refinements as well.

NEW STRETCH GOAL! New chassis design thanks to Geek Force
If we can make it to $555,5555, we'll commit to a new enclosure design for Geek Wave X 128 and XD 128 that will be made from a beautiful, aerospace grade T2021 aluminum, just like you've been asking for. Here's the design we're most taken with:

20140618172658-geek_wave_improved_chassis_design.jpg

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #275 of 5,933
Right now, I have the dual-core version of the Xuelin I-HiFi 960.  I really like the sound quality I get from this player.  I have opted to donate to the Geek Wave cause and I've selected the GW32 with dual DAC option.  Although none of us (I think) know how the GW will ultimately sound, I will be extremely happy if the unit I've selected matches or out-performs the I-Hifi 960.  I decided to go with a Geek Wave player, primarily because I wanted a player that could handle high resolution files at a nice price.  So, if the GW 32 can accomplish this with excellent sound quality for me at US $235 (with shipping included) then I will be more than grateful.  By the way, my Xuelin 960 was US $369 with shipping (but did also include a pair of nice $35 earphones for free).  I would also suggest that having a very high quality music player that is developed and sold in the US should be more convenient for us in the States.  Here's keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best....

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #278 of 5,933
What, upgraded op-amp that will automagickally reduce everything by 3 dB or silver-coated custom parts that will reduce the noise floor by 5 dB?

I dunno about you guys but I'm actually getting tired of this kind of marketing scheme.

There isn't a claim of an opamp lowering everything by 3 db's. They've stated the dual dac design will lower signal to noise ratio over the single dac design by 3 db's.

The customization to lower the noise floor by 5 db's is a customization just for iems. It'll have a lower dc offset amplifier, decreased power (down to 100mW), 8 output bypass capacitors are replaced and they'll turn the bias current down. While that customization is on the expensive side, you're basically paying for Larry's time.

With the 32 and 64 waves only being 160 mW, I suspect the iem customization is not necessary but I'm sure the dual dac setup will produce a blacker background.

While their marketing my leave a bit to be desired (I was very frustrated by the campaign split), I don't doubt Larry's engineering prowess.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #279 of 5,933
I can understand your frustration but this type of funding does allow for product development in a way that was never available before, If they developed this for a normal retail chain so many compromises would be made to get to a price point. Most of the upgrade which may be overkill would be nixed. Many engineers at large companies get very frustrated because they have an excellent design and implementation that gets crushed by the marketing department. I do think that just the base model will likely sound excellent. In fact when its all said in done, will one be able to tell the difference between a maxed out XD and just a base model in blind listening IDK? Maybe I will by a second model to test...:)

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #280 of 5,933
I can understand your frustration but this type of funding does allow for product development in a way that was never available before, If they developed this for a normal retail chain so many compromises would be made to get to a price point. Most of the upgrade which may be overkill would be nixed. Many engineers at large companies get very frustrated because they have an excellent design and implementation that gets crushed by the marketing department. I do think that just the base model will likely sound excellent. In fact when its all said in done, will one be able to tell the difference between a maxed out XD and just a base model in blind listening IDK? Maybe I will by a second model to test...:)

Exactly. They are putting these upgrades out there because people want them. Not because they need them. Some head if members are saying the sq out of the geek out is extremely good, so I'm hoping Larry will accomplish the same with the Wave or even better sq. Personally, I'm happy that they are offering upgrade packages now. What if they weren't offered now but they decided to offer them later only to find out that they do have an improvement in sq. then people that backed the project wouldn't be very happy.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #281 of 5,933
Yes of course...they are putting all these upgrades out for the love and engineering and the love of the customer. Not because they know audiophiles will pay for anything that tells it will improve sound and they just want to make the most money out of it. This is clearly marketing lead and not engineering led. It is nice to try a clever marketing move but when you get caught, do not try to take people for idiots even more...

I would clearly have prefered to have only 2 or 3 models, and the top one including everything.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #282 of 5,933
Now I am confused...no one has to pay for anything they don't want.  Simple,  just because they sell spinach and rat poison at the grocery store doesn't mean you have to buy them and mix them together. If you don't have a need for them don't buy them, but don't get angry at the grocery store and the people that purchase them.  Secondly, if the people are idiots so be it.  Furthermore, it seems a bit smug and perhaps offensive to suggest that your opinion and choice is of more correct than those that choose something that may stray from your opinions.  I also find it contradictory that you bash the marketing technique and state your preference for just 2 or 3 models while, with the current format, in the end one has more choices and freedom to select what they feel is important or not.

This is however, just my viewpoint and it is possible it may not be shared by anyone.  I just have a hard time understanding how more choices and options can be a negative while only a few options is better...who is to say?

end of rant.

Thank you for the thought provoking discourse, perhabs their is an angle I a am missing.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #283 of 5,933
Now I am confused...no one has to pay for anything they don't want.  Simple,  just because they sell spinach and rat poison at the grocery store doesn't mean you have to buy them and mix them together. If you don't have a need for them don't buy them, but don't get angry at the grocery store and the people that purchase them.  Secondly, if the people are idiots so be it.  Furthermore, it seems a bit smug and perhaps offensive to suggest that your opinion and choice is of more correct than those that choose something that may stray from your opinions.  I also find it contradictory that you bash the marketing technique and state your preference for just 2 or 3 models while, with the current format, in the end one has more choices and freedom to select what they feel is important or not.

This is however, just my viewpoint and it is possible it may not be shared by anyone.  I just have a hard time understanding how more choices and options can be a negative while only a few options is better...who is to say?

end of rant.

Thank you for the thought provoking discourse, perhabs their is an angle I a am missing.
Obviously. Several people have expressed the fact that the campaign is unclear at best, manipulative at worst. Some others like it just fine. You cater to the latter and that is just fine. But my opinion is my opinion. And if I look at facts, thr 128 is rhe absolute best at first but then not quite...to me that is not really straight shooting. But what do I know, I am just a potential client after all, who has tried every single DAP on the market and who was really intrigued, then confused then almost pissed...

Anyways let's noy get too far with this, just exercising my right to free speech.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #284 of 5,933
It's all good Mimouille, the essence of thesis sites are to share opinions and have open discourse. You are right about the campaigns change in direction, for me it has been welcome, I find it refreshing that a company is able to be so nimble to meet its customers needs in a product.

Though, I do understand where your coming from.

Cheers

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #285 of 5,933
It's all good Mimouille, the essence of thesis sites are to share opinions and have open discourse. You are right about the campaigns change in direction, for me it has been welcome, I find it refreshing that a company is able to be so nimble to meet its customers needs in a product.

Though, I do understand where your coming from.

Cheers
And cheers to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back