Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,532 of 2,322
I think it's more about having a better DAC chip rather than the fact that it specifically supports DSD, but I could be wrong. Those other devices aren't out currently, and the ones that are like the M8 are more expensive than a GO450.

You've got the right idea. DSD is fantastic to listen to, but no one should be storing any more than a few files on physical (in my case, non-expandable) smartphone storage. Lower noise floor, higher output, and a DAC section with a proven track record both in terms of the implementation and the chip itself are the most appealing things about a product like this. Oh yeah, and form factor.

Kojaku

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,533 of 2,322
Am I the only one that doesn't understand the point of all of this effort to connect the GO to a smartphone just to play DSD files? Seems like a waste of 1) time 2) physical space and 3) digital storage space to me.
1) obviously hooking up the GO to any smartphone is going to take a bunch of time to set up and get up and running
2) carrying around a thousand cables just to play DSD files seems silly to me and you can't really put it anywhere since the GO gets to like 40˚C
3) 1 DSD album takes up like 2.5 GB of storage space; why not convert DSD to regular PCM and save some space? Any audio benefit DSD would theoretically have over PCM is most likely going to be lost anyway if you're using it on a portable setup. Something like XLD on Mac can convert even DSD256 to 24/352.8, and you can convert that through normal PCM downsampling processes. For the 2.5 GB you use with 1 DSD album, you can probably have like 3 DSD to PCM albums on your portable device.

Would it not make sense just to get an external, battery powered DAC/amp instead, like the Geek Stream or upcoming OPPO HA-2?

Miceblue- I am right there with ya! (mostly in iDevices/Android OTG) that waiting for Geek Stream or HA-2, or using Herus or mDAC (presently) or nano/micro iDSD-  is a whole lot easier than all this, split cable, external-power source, USB cable adapter fudging to GeekOut or Fulla (units that have no battery) for portable use.

my current config is
 iPhone 5S (has 2 DSD albums + 30GB of lossless) + JRemote (stream all lossless 16/44 from home iMac server) to a iFi micro iDSD using 1 CCK cable. done.
portable?  not really.  transportable, yes.

Geek Stream (IEM + Femto) is on order, and will replace micro iDSD and hook up to iPhone with 1 CCK cable, portable use heaven!
will keep iFi micro iDSD at home for transportable use.

but yah, portable = small + battery + single cable in my world.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,535 of 2,322
The 450 2V is best for standard line-level inputs. The 100 is best for IEM. The 1000 is best for high impedance big cans, but requires turning down the volume quite a bit with most typical headphones and with line level inputs. I run the 450 SE into my stereo but had the 1000 before. Even with the 450 I have to run -12 - 24dB into my stereo.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,536 of 2,322
 I did buy the Massdrop Centrance M8, which may not be quite up to the Pulse Xfi (or, maybe it will be, really well reviewed), can always use the Soul out of the rack, but it will look a bit silly on my computer desk. More 1st world problems...

not to derail from 1st (or zero) world problems, but as a former M8 owner and owner/listener of Xfi at RMAF-  I fully expect Xfi to easily surpass the M8 at the desktop level.
Xfi = dual-mono, USB 3 layer buffering, fully balanced XLR and headphone amp, DSD, two digital filters, moar power, RCA outputs, LPS option, etc, etc.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #1,537 of 2,322
 I did buy the Massdrop Centrance M8, which may not be quite up to the Pulse Xfi (or, maybe it will be, really well reviewed), can always use the Soul out of the rack, but it will look a bit silly on my computer desk. More 1st world problems...

not to derail from 1st (or zero) world problems, but as a former M8 owner and owner/listener of Xfi at RMAF-  I fully expect Xfi to easily surpass the M8 at the desktop level.
Xfi = dual-mono, USB 3 layer buffering, fully balanced XLR and headphone amp, DSD, two digital filters, moar power, RCA outputs, LPS option, etc, etc.

You could be right...already in for a Soul Tube, though, just couldn't justify spending another 2 grand on Pretty much the same thing, different box. The portable aspect is also appealing. Hey, I coul go back to Xfi, LP4, tube buffer, and I seriously considered it. Staying put for now, though.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #1,538 of 2,322
doctorjazz,

hear ya on that Soul Tube move- could be a steal/great move since you have the space to rack it.

my desktop holding out for a an LPS4 and Geek Tube Headphone Amp in 2015 perhaps.
until then Xfi + Lyr 2 going to easily rock HE-560 for months and months.

transportable = iFi micro DSD (over M8 for a variety of USB engineering and feature choices)
portable = Geek Stream (IEM + femto)

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,539 of 2,322
Yeah, got the Stream, the Source, GO1K, GO SE, whole lotta geeking going on! Still go back and forth on tradingdown" to Xfi/LPS4/tube buffer, but I think, space wise, it may be even worse than the Soul. Probably be a good thing for me when the wholewhole Indiegogo thing is over!

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #1,540 of 2,322
Don't think it'll ever be over, cos after this will be the VI amp campaign, and then geek wave forever funding with all their sidetrack perks, and then there's the pre amp, separate headphone amp... The campaigns will never end!

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,541 of 2,322
Don't think it'll ever be over, cos after this will be the VI amp campaign, and then geek wave forever funding with all their sidetrack perks, and then there's the pre amp, separate headphone amp... The campaigns will never end!

Mind elaborating on the vi amp campaign? And also the Keep?

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,542 of 2,322

truth!

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,543 of 2,322

Mind elaborating on the vi amp campaign? And also the Keep?

Its something that was discussed around the LHlabs forums, and there was one thread where those who requested were given a sneak peak of some of the promotional materials for it.. not sure if the thread is still there... its basically the keep in the garb of the geek soul. No ideas as to when it will be though, hopefully long after all the pulses have shipped and things have settled down for them.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,544 of 2,322
Its something that was discussed around the LHlabs forums, and there was one thread where those who requested were given a sneak peak of some of the promotional materials for it.. not sure if the thread is still there... its basically the keep in the garb of the geek soul. No ideas as to when it will be though, hopefully long after all the pulses have shipped and things have settled down for them.

They also have innovative "impedence matching" modules for a range of specific speakers (about 10 speakers at the moment).

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,545 of 2,322
How powerful is the 100 in terms of driving headphones such as the HD25s and NAD HP50? I notice a slight hiss on my 450 when there's nothing playing, not entirely a deal breaker, but if those headphones can be played efficiently with the 100 it might be a consideration to change to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back