Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,563 of 2,322
Dec 14, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,564 of 2,322
Does anyone else find the Geek 1000 to be very tubey. I'm comparing it with a fully upgraded SEX and they both sound very similar not to mention fantastic. Almost end game material.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,565 of 2,322
  The new firmware fixes the full volume issue.

I know. It was my fault, had forgotten the volume on my Macmini fully turned on.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,566 of 2,322
Just got my Geek Out 450, which is my first DAC and I must say I'm really pleased. I immediately updated the firmware, so I didn't get the chance to test out the 3D Awesomizer though. Given how much everyone praises it, I wish I could have tried it.

There is a small question. Can I plug an electric guitar or any other MIDI device into the Geek Out and use it as an input for music recording? I didn't think about this before, but after seeing this option in the Geek Out app (as shown in screenshot below), it got me curious. If I can, what are the improvements I should expect?

Finally, I would like to ask that my compute only displaying 24 bit, 192 kHz as the highest sample rates, while the DAC is 32 bit. I've attached the screenshot of the thing I'm talking about too. Does it matter which sample rates it displays? If yes, how can I get the device specs to show up?

Thank you!

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #1,568 of 2,322
^Right...think you need something like a Lynx Hilo DAC & ADC.
ADC = Analog to Digital Converter.  Also useful for digitizing vinyl albums to digital files (needledrops).  

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #1,569 of 2,322
  Finally, I would like to ask that my compute only displaying 24 bit, 192 kHz as the highest sample rates, while the DAC is 32 bit. I've attached the screenshot of the thing I'm talking about too. Does it matter which sample rates it displays? If yes, how can I get the device specs to show up?

Thank you!

You should install and use the Light Harmonic ASIO driver instead of the built-in windows driver control panel:

First, install the LH ASIO driver. Once you have done this, a Light Harmonic icon will appear in the "Hidden Icons" popup in the lower right hand corner of your Windows tool bar.

Plug in your Geek Out, then open up the driver's "Control Panel" by clicking on it's hidden icon.

The first of the 3 tabs on the LH Control Panel, "Status" - will show "Geek Out HD Audio 1V5" in the "USB Audio" pulldown.

The "Buffer Settings" Tab can be left to its default settings or adjusted later to suit.

Open the Volume tab and press the Output button. This dialog is where you control your GO volume. It has 2 sliders, the one on the left is for the analog volume control in the GO, the right for the digital volume control. Slide one of them at least to -50dB or mute before you turn on your amp so you won't blow out your ears/earbuds/speakers. (Press the speaker icon to toggle mute.) 

Open your player to its configuration/options (whatever it's called) dialog and choose Light Harmonic ASIO as the the player's output device device driver.

For example, in JRiver you go to Tools/Options/Audio/Audio Device to pick the LH driver; in Foobar 2000 you go to File/Preferences/Playback/Audio/Asio to pick the LH driver. As you can see with these two examples, you may have to poke around to find it.

Now you can queue up some music and play it at higher bit rates. Depending on your player, you may have more configuring ahead to get it to recognise and play DSD/DFF files in DSD format (look for a DSD over DoP bitstream setting).

Search this thread. Everything I've said and more is in here somewhere though not always easy to find.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,571 of 2,322
hit me.
  We have a beta program we're running for the GO firmware upgrade for OS X

Email info@lightharmonic.com if you want to participate in this beta program.

sent.
hit me.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,573 of 2,322
We have a beta program we're running for the GO firmware upgrade for OS X

Email info@lightharmonic.com if you want to participate in this beta program.
Cool! I'd be interested in testing it too. I just sent an e-mail to that e-mail address.

I don't think there's a DFU updater for Mac yet, so this is exciting to see.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,574 of 2,322
How does the Geek Out compare to the AudioQuest Dragonfly, I know the DragonFly is a lot cheaper but how does it stack against the Geek Out. 
Since it is a rather powerful device has anyone experienced extra battery drain on a portable? 

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #1,575 of 2,322
The GO has more power and can handle 24/192 and DSD. I own them both and I like them both but the GO is more versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back